Post-Game Talk: Hellebuyck stones Pens - 1:0 Jets

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Ladd has been underpaid. He's probably pissed off because he knows he won't be over-paid to make up for the last contract.

I watched more than 20 minutes of the game and Ladd was good.

You could have Wheeler out there on a line on his own. He was a beast. He owns the puck and just walks around the D.

Ladd is coming off what probably should have been a season ending surgery last season. Inside he played through it and he's paying for it this year. He sucks this season.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Ladd is coming off what probably should have been a season ending surgery last season. Inside he played through it and he's paying for it this year. He sucks this season.

Do you mean he had a season ending surgery and should have taken the year off?

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Ladd really has no business on Any but 3rd line at the highest. I didn't feel he had a good game at all.
The jets seem to play better under duress. A major player gets hurt, we play better... It's weird.

Helle played great last night, came up big and we got the goaltending we needed at the right time.

Hopefully it's the start of a run.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Regarding the whole "bash Ladd" thing - there's nothing I'd like more than for Ladd to regain his former level of performance. I've always really liked Ladd, both as a captain and a player. It actually makes me sad to critique his play, and advocate for trading him.

But he truly is much worse this year. And, to me, he did not have a good game yesterday. It was certainly a bad game if the bar is set to "pre-2015 Ladd".

People are talking about Ladd because his contract is the most important GM decision that will be made this year (perhaps along with Buff). It also signifies something greater - whether we are sticking with the older core, or rebuilding around the younger. Add to that Ladd's own statement (yesterday?) to Lawless about an impending signing or trade, and of course people are talking about him.

I understand that it can be frustrating to see people bash a player you like, or believe is playing well. But if you are not interested in these types of conversations, and would prefer only to cheer and celebrate after a win, there are no shortage of other places and people to do that with.

Strange.

I see this the opposite way. I think Ladd's points this year far exceed his contributions in other areas (e.g. defensive play, forechecking, work along the boards). I would suggest that if someone were to only consider his goals and assists, they would have an inflated view of his performance this year, not the other way around.

Exactly to the bolded. He is a pending UFA wanting $6+ M X 6 years. On top of that his play has dipped noticeably since last season. And he represented a clear decision on the direction Chevy will take the team in the future. Honestly It is kind of surprising there isn't more discussion focused on him.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
At this point he doesn't belong on either the PP or the PK.

It was painful to watch him try to run the PP from the half wall - just a horrible role for him. Having him and Stuart together on the left side of the PK is also a recipe for disaster.

But that's not how the STH around me at the game see it....

"Ladd awesome"

"Thorbs awesome"

"Stu awesome"

"Ehlers - go back to junior"

"Enstrom bad"

"Copp back to the AHL"

What a twit. No way should Ehlers go back to junior. ;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Exactly to the bolded. He is a pending UFA wanting $6+ M X 6 years. On top of that his play has dipped noticeably since last season. And he represented a clear decision on the direction Chevy will take the team in the future. Honestly It is kind of surprising there isn't more discussion focused on him.

Exactly. I often focus criticism on Ladd because he's a core player who has the highest ice-time among forwards on most nights. He's also someone that the Jets need to make a key decision on in terms of contract. So, he merits more focus and discussion, and so far this year I haven't liked what I've seen on too many nights. There's no point in going on and on about our 4th liners who play 1/3 as much as Ladd and are near the league minimum in salary. They'll have very little bearing on the Jets' success now or in the future.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Regarding the whole "bash Ladd" thing - there's nothing I'd like more than for Ladd to regain his former level of performance. I've always really liked Ladd, both as a captain and a player. It actually makes me sad to critique his play, and advocate for trading him.

But he truly is much worse this year. And, to me, he did not have a good game yesterday. It was certainly a bad game if the bar is set to "pre-2015 Ladd".

People are talking about Ladd because his contract is the most important GM decision that will be made this year (perhaps along with Buff). It also signifies something greater - whether we are sticking with the older core, or rebuilding around the younger. Add to that Ladd's own statement (yesterday?) to Lawless about an impending signing or trade, and of course people are talking about him.

I understand that it can be frustrating to see people bash a player you like, or believe is playing well. But if you are not interested in these types of conversations, and would prefer only to cheer and celebrate after a win, there are no shortage of other places and people to do that with.

Strange.

I see this the opposite way. I think Ladd's points this year far exceed his contributions in other areas (e.g. defensive play, forechecking, work along the boards). I would suggest that if someone were to only consider his goals and assists, they would have an inflated view of his performance this year, not the other way around.

Agreed wholeheartedly with this entire post.........

I would simply add that critquing Ladds play is made immeasureably easier if one makes a clear distinction between playing 5v5 and playing specialty teams.

IMO his contribution to 5v5 line play has diminished somewhat( hard forecheck; boardwork and cycle work down low; net presence for clean up and dirty goals) but the really noticeable shortcomings show up in his specialty teams work. He is doing a much poorer job of screening the goalie and serving as a net presence with the man advantage, and,does a poor job of controlling/protecting the puck when on the half wall. As noticed by several, he is not making good reads and often fumbles a misdirected pass or weak shot,leading to quick loss of possession. When at a man disadvantage, he seems to be slow and uncertain, both in preventing zone entry and then his coverage responsibilities in the zone. His ability to then clear/exit the zone is decidedly weak. There is certainly limited aggression or pressuring the attacker with the puck but in fairness, this may not be encouraged by the PK system inatalled by Coach!!(whatever the heck that may be!!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad