Confirmed with Link: Helle and Scheifele re-signed 7x8.5M each

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy be eating that Turkey and not that Crow today.

Thanks Chevy, while we bitch and complain about how things are being perceived with him doing "nothing". These low key shadow drop deals makes me chuckle and grin every time he does some crazy shit like this.

GO JETS GO

Must have closed up his cabin last weekend in order to have time to get these done 😜

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
recent years stats i liken helle to sorokin (7x8.25m) and scheifele to j.t. miller (7x8m)

imo i think these are fair deals for both. EvolvingHockey had basically called it via their forecast tool as @MardyBum posted. no overpay or discount in dollars, the term i doubt they were getting any thing substantially less.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
In seven years that could be the salary of an average third liner. Chevy was backed into a corner and came out smelling like a rose.

I was expecting disappointing returns for PLD, Scheifele and Hellebuyck, and ended up being very pleasantly surprised at all outcomes.
Yep, $8.5M AAV will not look like much due to salary cap increases.

I think most people are happy with the Hellebuyck deal. For Scheifele, we had no replacements especially with PLD traded. It was a necessary signing. Hopefully, the new team attitude without Wheeler and Dubois will rub off on him.

Overall, I am happy with these deals.

Now, I may even subscribe for SportsNet+ and actually watch some games now that I know these players will not be TDL casualties.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Must have closed up his cabin last weekend in order to have time to get these done 😜

He did, according to our neighbour.

Well, it's one less distraction and I suspect both players will have more managed than cliff-edge declines, given their dedication to training and overall styles of play.

Hopefully Helle now has a firm 55 game /year ceiling, and 55's contract includes "Must backcheck" and "On the same page as Coach" provisions.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
They made it clear they weren't going to rebuild, so this >>>>> them walking in UFA. Cap hit is fine (people really need to wrap their head around the fact the cap is going to be rising a lot). They'll likely be much worse players at the end, but it's better than wasting Ehlers, Morrissey's Connor etcs primes looking for solutions.
Cap space will not be a worry for this team for a long time. Who in our pipeline could even develop into an 8 figure player? Connor maybe, but he's already counting over 7 AAV so it's not a huge raise to get him to 10 if he wants to stay. Perfetti at very long odds? Unless they hit an absolute jackpot in the draft at some point there's no one who will need to get paid beyond the structure of these deals in terms of AAV.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I was in the rebuild camp but this is atleast better than letting them walk to UFA as it atleast indicates some kind of a plan even if it is a plan I disagree with. Now atleast there is some excitment for the season for me. I was not looking forward to a lame duck season where after every GDT we were debating if/when 55/37 were traded.

Glad to have some resolution on this. I do acknowledge that the Scheifele contract is not gonna look good in the last 2-3 years of it. Considering how much Wheeler gets critisized for his game in his later seasons, Scheifele is noway near the player Wheeler was 30 so he is probably gonna be even worse at Wheeler's age. Who knows with how the Helle contract will age, goalies are vodoo and guys like Price, Fluery and even Bob were putting out some great seasons in their late 30s.

The main positive is that it would have been a bad look for the org to let 80/37/55 go in consecutive seasons so these signings send a positive message when it comes to re-signing guys like Connor or Ehlers.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Scheifele must've secretly really not wanted to be captain so he held out signing long term until after we picked a new one and he wouldn't be considered

:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: JetsFan815

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Fantastic news!!

I did not see that coming!

3d7ziti693gc.gif

Ad

Upcoming events