Confirmed with Link: Helle and Scheifele re-signed 7x8.5M each

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Pretty great weekend for the Winnipeg sports fan. First our Bombers come storming back to win a pivotal game in BC, and now we get our two best players extended at a very reasonable rate

Great value for Helle! Pretty decent for Scheifele as well considering he was underpaid for the last several years.
So do these contracts kick in right now, or only after the end of the year when the current contract expires?
At the end of the year

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Wow. Chevy pulls it off again... 8.5 is very very fair.

Prob still 4-5 more good years of Helle... AND I get to complain about Scheifele for 8 more years!!!

So much for no one wants to play Bones system and no one wants to play in Winnipeg...

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
Kevin_Cheveldayoff.jpg

HAPPY THANKSCHEVY!

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
$8.5M is the same AAV that Dubois got for 8 years, though PLD's contract included one remaining RFA year.

The AAV on Wheeler's 5-year extension signed in 2018 was $8.25M, covering his age 33-37 seasons.

Hellebuyck and Scheifele's extensions will also run through their age 37 seasons, covering ages 31-37.

Very fair deals -- they've both been underpaid on their previous contracts, and the cap is expected to increase significantly in the next few years.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great AAV for both. Outstanding they are both going to be life long Jets.

Great value for Helle! Pretty decent for Scheifele as well considering he was underpaid for the last several years.
So do these contracts kick in right now, or only after the end of the year when the current contract expires?
In other words, do we have them for 8 more years or seven?
After next season.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Helle earned this extension...I have 0 issues with it. I bet the Jets were hesitant signing scheif to that deal but I bet helle made it clear he wants scheif back and no rebuild so chevy had no choice. Considering there was a real possibility jets could lose both for nothing its a good overall decision.

Nov 24, 2006
Really don’t spend too much time fretting about term and AAV but these deals seem reasonable if about a year too long. Have always been a fan of Scheifele and he’s the most offensively gifted Jets 2.0 player we’ve had. Helle is Helle.

Id be curious how the dollar structure works and if either are tradeable in the last couple of years of the deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad