Heeeeere comes expansion! - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanley cucup

Apr 5, 2012
great job with the jerseys....that,s exactly what I think will happen...4 team expansion....split on two-three year period...Vegas, Toronto 2, QC and Seattle or Houston(leaving Portland, Sea or Houston, OKC or KC for relocation)

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I'm probably not the first person to bring this up in the 1500 or so posts, however I wonder how much of the NHL expansion plans are about actually expanding how much of these are about discretely finding a new home for the Coyotes, which figuring out how much to charge for a relocation fee. By talking publicly about expanding they can go meet with Vegas and Quebec City about relocating the Coyotes without actually saying they will relocate the Coyotes. Now they can feed everyone a line about how they are "checking out other markets while making things work in Glendale". I don't think it is a co-incidence that they formally started "the process" about a week after Glendale terminated their lease.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I've removed the posts about uniform design, and the graphics, but that could be a good topic for the NHL Talk forum-- design options and names for the expansion candidate cities.

Once the Draft and Free Agent Frenzy are over, there will be a dearth of hockey topics.
;)

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Will the league be open with the process or will they keep everything under wraps

We know its from july 6 to August 10 so lets says August 15 any chances they will come out and say we got 12 bids from 10 different cities we will look at them and on sept 15 cut it down to 6?

How did it work the last time around?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Will the league be open with the process or will they keep everything under wraps

We know its from july 6 to August 10 so lets says August 15 any chances they will come out and say we got 12 bids from 10 different cities we will look at them and on sept 15 cut it down to 6?

From our own Keeper of Threads (and Facts):

Just for timeline comparison:

June 26, 1996 - NHL announces plans for expansion, bid presentations originally scheduled for December
January 14, 1997 - 11 bids from 9 cities (3 from Houston) presented to NHL Executive Committee
February 20, 1997 - NHL announces 6 finalists - the 4 eventual winners plus OKC and one of the Houston bids.
June 25, 1997 - NHL officially announces expansion franchises for Atlanta, Columbus, Minnesota, and Nashville.

There were 11 bids in 1997 - Houston (3 bids), Columbus, Hamilton, Minnesota, Hampton Roads, Oklahoma City, Nashville, Atlanta, and Raleigh-Durham.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I've removed the posts about uniform design, and the graphics, but that could be a good topic for the NHL Talk forum-- design options and names for the expansion candidate cities.

Once the Draft and Free Agent Frenzy are over, there will be a dearth of hockey topics.
;)

Or for the new team forums when the winning teams are announced.

;)

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012

we all know they NHL prefers the back scratching be done as privately as possible

NickWIHockey

Jan 3, 2013
Port Washington, WI
in this day of age I could see Pittsburgh scooping up an NBA team (for a fair price) and same with Milwaukee for the NHL.

As for their success, it really depends how well they are managed.

Milwaukee has supported the Admirals well for 40 years. yes they are minor league, but they've developed a brand here and have been very successful- won a league title in 2004, made the finals in 2006 and have only missed the playoffs 5 times in their nearly 50 years history. Milwaukee consistently gets in the top 10 for ratings for Stanley Cup hockey. part of that is because of the blackhawks, and part of it is- we just love hockey here. things are quite different than the 80s venture, back then there was no revenue sharing, no salary cap, and dollar bill isnt around to take a dump on Milwaukee's chances. Milwaukee may not be a big revenue producer, but it wont be the endless black hole the Coyotes have been.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Add the FTQ (Union) investment fund as a minor investor in Quebec. A minor investor worth 10 billion dollars.

Honestly?

Another reason to disqualify their RRSP's as creating jobs in small business.

Its not their place, but probably Qcor will take their monies.

I'd rather not see them there at all.

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
bring back Toros

Toronto-Toros.png

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Add the FTQ (Union) investment fund as a minor investor in Quebec. A minor investor worth 10 billion dollars.

No just no. Please.

FTQ is only work 10 billion because they offer a ''off the pay'' participation into retirement fund. Thing is, their interest rates are at best lame and once you get in, it takes you 50 years to be able to get out of it and more your savings elsewhere.

Sorry for going OT, but please make FTQ stay as far as they can be from a hockey in Quebec.

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
Is the earliest the expansion teams can play in the 2017-18 season or could one get in the 2016-17 season? I am wondering because if the Las Vegas expansion team doesn't play by the 2016-17 season, don't they have to refund all the season tickets?

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
No just no. Please.

FTQ is only work 10 billion because they offer a ''off the pay'' participation into retirement fund. Thing is, their interest rates are at best lame and once you get in, it takes you 50 years to be able to get out of it and more your savings elsewhere.

Sorry for going OT, but please make FTQ stay as far as they can be from a hockey in Quebec.
FTQ has been a fine minority investor for the Montreal Impact. They're not loud and they let the managers do their jobs. Discussing their fund's performance is OT at this point, but it is not nearly as bad as local journalists say. Don't let your political views towards unions influence the way you see this investment. Teachers in Toronto did great with the Leafs.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Is the earliest the expansion teams can play in the 2017-18 season or could one get in the 2016-17 season? I am wondering because if the Las Vegas expansion team doesn't play by the 2016-17 season, don't they have to refund all the season tickets?

A majority of the deposits were taken with the understanding that they were to be returned if there wasn't a team for the 16-17 season. A month or two ago (after the major push) the terms were adjusted to say something to the effect of "by the 17-18 season."

People with 16-17 deposits will have the chance to have their deposit returned if there is no team for 16-17, or they can leave their deposit in for 17-18.

If I was to guess based on the time, I'd say 9,000-9,500 of the total 13,400 deposits/commitments came with the 16-17 language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad