Hedman vs Tavares

Who goes 1st in a redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Who were all these high caliber players on Tampa during their run in '16 when they lost in the ECF to the eventual Cup winners? Hedman was playing 7 more minutes a game than anyone else on his team that year. You know, the same season they were underdogs against Tavares and Islanders but demolished them in 5 games.
Hedman *outscored* Tavares like 8 points to 2 that series. Tavares was useless.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Crazy to think that if Tavares was just a few days older, the Isles probably would have walked away with Pietrangelo in '08 and Hedman in '09. Pretty decent top-pairing.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
#1C difference makers are more difficult to come by - albeit the margin is getting smaller. Tavares #1

Tavares can still will a team to marginal success - Hedman honestly does not do a whole lot for Tampa without their explosive offense (nothing against him). The team who drafts Hedman still searches for #1C afterward.
Hedman is arguably the best defenseman in the league, at worst he's top 3.

Tavares is nowhere near top 5C in the league. I have him barely or even out of the top 10.

Also it's highly debatable if 1C is more valuable than 1D

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yet Hedman has only shown he chokes in the playoffs despite having high caliber players around him his whole career.
And you have shown that you haven't watched too many Lightning playoff games.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If you do a search there are more polls made this month with his name than there were in the last 3 years. So...

It's funny, I found about 5 with his name in the title from this past month before I decided to stop sifting through the chaos, and a handful of them and a few older ones I found were created by Leafs fans. Either way I'm pretty sure he's had more than 5 polls made about him over the course of the past 3 years, but maybe my mind is playing tricks.

Still this is a pretty reasonable one considering the debate at the time of the draft. Do you disagree?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
OP is dated June 26th, before he became a Leaf.

It's an old thread that got bumped by someone attempting to prove a point or something.
There was a follow-on thread where Hedman was winning (he was initially losing this poll), so I think it was an attempt to prove anti-Leaf bias or something.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Yet Hedman has only shown he chokes in the playoffs despite having high caliber players around him his whole career.

Tavares is on the consensus best team on planet Earth and the Stanley Cup favourites. He is going to win a cup (and potentially MULTIPLE) within the next 5 years.

I like the enthusoasm but lets reel it back a little.

Im not sure that were the consensus best anything. You could argue we have the best forwards but its close.

And no team is guaranteed a cup, let alone multiple.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I've been a rabid Tavares fan my whole life, but I think I need to finally eat crow on this one: Hedman is the better player.

Hedman is just an incredible hockey player. Not only does he shut people down, but he's entertaining as hell to watch because his vision and skating are superb.

Reactions: Gains

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been a rabid Tavares fan my whole life, but I think I need to finally eat crow on this one: Hedman is the better player.

Hedman is just an incredible hockey player. Not only does he shut people down, but he's entertaining as hell to watch because his vision and skating are superb.

I think everyone should be voting Hedman now, but don't forget he didn't get to this level until about four years ago. It's part of drafting D-men that you usually have to wait longer. If it turned out that Hedman was the player that left his club at the start of his UFA years, then the value he provides as a draft choice is much much less. You'd only get a couple elite season out of him.

Reactions: Merrrlin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This poll was from 2018, if they did it now, it would be closed early due to Hedman winning in a lopsided poll. This is not even close.

Mar 26, 2010
#1 Franchise C
#1 Franchise D

Depends on the teams needs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's still 1A/1B

Hedman's first norris finalist seasons came in his 8th season. He hasn't always been at this level, people get too influenced by recency bias.

Tavares is a perfect #1C. He's not the level of guys like Crosby or Malkin of course - but he's in the next tier. That's arguably the most valuable position in hockey.

You draft based on team needs. I do think Hedman is more likely to age better, since defensemen often do - and so maybe by the end of their career Hedman's all-time rank ends up higher. But until today, it's 1A/1B

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
At the time Isles had to choose between a #1C with crazy pre-draft hype, stellar WJC and potential instant face of the franchise talent vs. a lesser known but hugely talented D man who also was stellar at the WJC and coming out of a European league. JT was more marketable and was the right pick for the Isles. I don't think in a redraft with the Isles picking 1st overall, Hedman ever goes before JT. Just business wise it's a terrible decision.

Hockey players wise. Both have been excellent players and like some have already stated, franchise level d-men typically age better than franchise level centers. Also, the supporting cast JT had in NY was absolutely trash and he essentially had to build up that franchise. Where as Hedman seemingly walked onto a consistent playoff team who were cup contenders not too long prior. Plus he had guys like MSL, Stamkos, Lecavalier, Tanguay, Ohlund, Gagne, Malone, etc. to rely on and learn from while he was being groomed. His development was much steadier and slower compared to JT who was tossed into the fire and expected to not only survive but Thrive. Which I think he did a great job of doing.

At the end of their careers, I suspect Hedman will have a cup or two and norris and conn smyth trophies to show for plus a HOF resume. JT I think will also be a HOF player but much less hardware.

Reactions: Merrrlin

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Hedman is better now but Tavares was better out of the box. Hard to say who brings more accumulated value over the years.

A team that picks #1 (or at least by rules at the time) would likely be a dumpster fire so in that position I would likely go with the defenseman that would start slower and yield a great but a late return while I rebuild the rest.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This past April the staff at nhl.com did a 2009 re-draft. They still had Tavares going 1st overall and Hedman going 2nd overall.

2009 NHL Redraft: O'Reilly jumps to No. 3, Islanders stick with Tavares

EbYAGbLXgAczu6V

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
This one is fun to look back on considering he's the clear Conn Smythe leader right now. You called it.
I love the time time Hedman played his only not-so-great playoff series of his career and some geniuses started calling him a choker, ignoring the other ~80 playoff games under his belt.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tavares started out better but Hedman has passed him and looks to have the better future as well.
In terms of major individual awards Hedman also has an edge. Overall, I think Hedman would be the top choice in a redraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad