Hedman vs Tavares

Who goes 1st in a redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
#1C difference makers are more difficult to come by - albeit the margin is getting smaller. Tavares #1

Tavares can still will a team to marginal success - Hedman honestly does not do a whole lot for Tampa without their explosive offense (nothing against him). The team who drafts Hedman still searches for #1C afterward.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Depends on the team really. At the time being an Islander fan if we didn't pick 1st I wanted it to be Tampa since they could have still taken Hedman (they already had Stamkos). I think most teams take Tavares though.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Tough, If this was who would take right now it would be Hedman without too much hesitation, especially considering contract.

However Hedman took a while to get to where he is, whereas Tavares developed quickly into an elite talent. Performance in early years years be critical, if for example Kane or Toews took as long as Hedman to develop, the Hawks wouldn’t have won their first cup. And it’s not like Hedman is significantly better than Tavares today. Both are amongst the players in the game

Overall though unless I am a team that is already a contender or have a very strong D and gap at C, I would take Hedman. I believe he is ultimately the better franchise player. Based on his style of play he looks like he will have longevity and he was willing to commit to a discount contract longterm with his franchise. Also as of now I believe he is a slightly better player and I like building from the D.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
I think Tavares is still the #1 pick, but I'd rather have Hedman on the Hawks.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would go with Hedman. He can impact a game more since he blossomed into one of the NHL's best D men. Also think he will play longer at a higher level. Earlier on in their careers I would have taken JT.

Both are great first 2 picks in a draft though.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I go 1D as he's on the ice usually a lot more but you really can't go wrong with either. I guess it's by need if you already have a solid centre or Dman but if you are starting from scratch I go Hedman.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I would still take Tavares first. Both turned out pretty much as expected.

I still value an offensively gifted franchise center above a franchise defenseman. Nothing wrong with people who would draft Hedman first either.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
What's with people's obsession with comparing dmen and forwards?

At least compare players who play the same position, this is like asking do you like nachos or beer?? hot wings or whisky??

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What's with people's obsession with comparing dmen and forwards?

At least compare players who play the same position, this is like asking do you like nachos or beer?? hot wings or whisky??
I know, it's crazy. Don't people know that they have a separate draft for forwards and defense?

Oh wait - turns out this comparison makes sense due to the fact that they were drafted #1 and #2 in the same draft, and the question posed is "which would you pick if you had the #1 pick". Huh.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I think Hedman is easily a top 3-5 defender today, and has a strong case for #1 right now, but it's still Tavares based on their productivity to date. Hedman has a good chance to make up ground though.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Tavares still. Watch when/if he gets quality players to play with consistently. They’re both great though.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I don't quite understand how Tavares is winning this poll.

Hedman is a top 3 D man in the league, Tavares isn't even close to being a top 5 Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad