Heat leaving Abbotsford

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Well I've read all the comets and canucks releases about being committed to utica, but things are just weird. Comets are now selling their used equipment, gloves, sticks skates ect this friday. Is this normal for ahl teams to go this? The comets team store was almost completely empty over the last week of games. No rumors of where abbotsford is going. I'm still getting that feeling that we may have different colors opening night...,

Yes this happens. Even NHL teams do it.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Well I've read all the comets and canucks releases about being committed to utica, but things are just weird. Comets are now selling their used equipment, gloves, sticks skates ect this friday. Is this normal for ahl teams to go this? The comets team store was almost completely empty over the last week of games. No rumors of where abbotsford is going. I'm still getting that feeling that we may have different colors opening night...,

Used equipment sales are very common - pro teams do not retain their used equipment for subsequent seasons. Not too much to read into there.

But, there should be no doubt that moving to Abbotsford would be worth a lot of money to Vancouver. The question is how much, and how they could back out of their deal in Utica. I agree with your intuition that the team colours will be different, but not because of the equipment sale.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
But, there should be no doubt that moving to Abbotsford would be worth a lot of money to Vancouver. The question is how much, and how they could back out of their deal in Utica

Eventually, the Canucks will offer Utica X amount of money and Utica will have to take it and forgo the lease. Money can solve all problems :sarcasm:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
this has zero to do w/ Utica.....

this has to do w/ Calgary's future past Abbotsford, once the Heat season is done, as they have a tall task in facing the defending Calder Cup Champion GR Griffins....

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

to GO COMETS...the store hasn't had adult jerseys to sell since early February...know what you mean....

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
this has zero to do w/ Utica.....

this has to do w/ Calgary's future past Abbotsford, once the Heat season is done, as they have a tall task in facing the defending Calder Cup Champion GR Griffins....
Yes the heat have a big task. Ortio is one of the best goalies in the league, you guys have a good chance to knock them off. We did not have the griffins on our schedule this yr. Good luck!!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I know it's not in the east but I wonder if Kansas City is a place where the Flames could go.

Yeah, they got the arena and the travel would be easier. Could also prove if Kansas City can support an NHL team. But I think St. Louis would be a better fit with Kansas.

Thunder God

Mar 12, 2007
ThunderDome
I say Abbotsford Heat is coming to Glens Falls Area! Can anyone feel the heat? I know things that are going to happen and i am not a reporter or a person with inside information and i am keeping that a Secret.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yeah, they got the arena and the travel would be easier. Could also prove if Kansas City can support an NHL team. But I think St. Louis would be a better fit with Kansas.

That used to be the arrangement back in the day - I wonder how if worked out. It probably could be a good situation this time around.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
I say Abbotsford Heat is coming to Glens Falls Area! Can anyone feel the heat? I know things that are going to happen and i am not a reporter or a person with inside information and i am keeping that a Secret.

So you know things that are going to happen but aren't a person with inside info. Riiiiiight.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
AEG already operates the Monarchs in Manchester, that's why they're not interested in Sprint Center for any franchise, the other opposition in KC is Sylvester James being convinced it's viable.

Some of these posts are kind of correct, but not completely.

The arena was NOT built for an NHL franchise. The arena was built as part of a complete downtown restoration. AEG got control of the arena and Cordish was able to build the Power & Light District -- an area across the street from the arena with bars and restaurants. While the arena does make money for AEG and some of that money is shared with the city, the P&L district is a drain on city coffers. If, for instance, the arena produces $2M in revenue for the city, the P&L district loses $8M. The P&L district loses money because there isn't enough foot traffic, especially on weeknights. The model for the P&L district only works if there are 42 dates at the arena with 14,000+ per date. But, AEG doesn't care about that because they have no financial stake in the district. Would the district make money if there were 41 dates with 7,000+ for AHL hockey? We'll never know. (The KC Blades of the IHL generally drew 7,000 avg.)

It's a nice bit of deception AEG does when they promote how the arena makes a profit.

Sly James is a non-factor in all of this. There really isn't anything he can do. He's neither convinced or non-convinced the NHL is viable. He's focused on other things because he can't do anything about Sprint Center (other than try to attract political conventions)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00