Heat leaving Abbotsford

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Should be interesting..... I am guessing now that lawyer may be getting involved from Calgary to see if they have recourse against the city.....

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
The Heat are indeed leaving Abbotsford, president Ryan Walter tells Abby News sports reporter Dan Kinvig as a press conference is about to get underway. More details coming.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Makes as much sense as Utica, maybe more. I'd be surprised, but it's very close to Rochester and Binghamton, then you've got Syracuse, Scranton, Utica and Albany not that far either. Small (compared to recent AHL barns, but how full are they really?), but newish arena. Strong enough fan base in the UHL/ECHL over 10+ years. Never considered it.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The timing is certainly of an interesting ordeal. I don't know what that press conference is(I would spill if I knew but i'm not in the loop anymore as I haven't paid attention in 2 years) The county executive will be there which is odd. I don't think it's to close up hop but I guess you never know. A negative press conference wouldn't make any true sense.

It could be a coaching change. But that would make little sense for the county executive to be there. People say affiliation agreement. I'm sorry after 7 years of ECHL hockey that's not news anymore as they happen and it's MID APRIL seems early for that.

The only thing I can think of is a jumbotron scoreboard but that doesn't really impact the team so much. Thata more for fan interest, no?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
under 3800 seats, and not alot of a metro area to draw from..... never happen. the flames dont seem to like glens falls, they preferred utica. they may just be waiting to see if the canucks can pull off a switch to abbotsford, but i highley doubt that is going to happen.

Depends who you ask. Some say that and some say 4K. I'm guessing the number posted on the league site doesn't count suite seats. Theres also a restaurant upstairs where people can watch the game. I know a few years back there was a night where they had like 4.600 fans.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Random thought ☺☻☺..............

A year only in Elmira, or Glens Falls for the Calgary AHL team................

Then they move to St. John's NL when the Jets leave...............

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Don't mean to be that guy but if Winnipeg their closest team doesn't want them what makes you think despite solid attendance that anyone would go back?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

not likely, the League gets real ugly about that sort of thing, and can strip the franchise, if it needs to, Zeke.

Edmonton was that close to losing the franchise rights to wht became OKC, BECAUSE IT KEPT IT DORMANT.

Elmira is not an option, since the ECHL Franchise is settled ownership-wise.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
OK was just a thought.

I know that St. John's area has a lot of petro dollars and a person who runs things, has a lot of influence so was just a thought................

I agree it is isolated and hard and expensive to get there~~!!!!!!!!!!!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
OK was just a thought.

I know that St. John's area has a lot of petro dollars and a person who runs things, has a lot of influence so was just a thought................

I agree it is isolated and hard and expensive to get there~~!!!!!!!!!!!

St. John's drawback is that you have to take a ferry to get there, hence why both the Heat and Ice Caps were given travel bonuses but that's why you saw both franchises play 2 gm series, or in the case 3 gms in 4 days w/ a concert in between @ Mile One.

Williams only has a lease agreement, hence why the Thunder Bay discussions, but that could be until 2016, that's up to TNSE to decide after the current season.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
My guess is Ottawa will pull out of Bingo and move the team closer to Ottawa and Ny put there team in Bingo.

Ottawa doesn't own Binghamton, they can't just move the team. They can move their affiliation elsewhere, but not the franchise.

My guess for Elmira is some kind of affiliation with Buffalo and Rochester. I can't see them moving to the AHL. The arena isn't much smaller than Utica, but the area is a lot smaller.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Ottawa doesn't own Binghamton, they can't just move the team. They can move their affiliation elsewhere, but not the franchise.

My guess for Elmira is some kind of affiliation with Buffalo and Rochester. I can;t see them moving to the AHL. The arena isn't much smaller than Utica, but the area is a lot smaller.

I did not mean the team but the affiliation i think the perfect case would be team up with Montreal and move the Dogs to Cornwall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad