Heat leaving Abbotsford

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Ottawa doesn't own Binghamton, they can't just move the team. They can move their affiliation elsewhere, but not the franchise.

My guess for Elmira is some kind of affiliation with Buffalo and Rochester. I can't see them moving to the AHL. The arena isn't much smaller than Utica, but the area is a lot smaller.

The new Elmira ownership last year stated they were planning some significant improvements to the arena in Elmira. What specific improvements were at the time were very unclear. I am not sure an affiliation with Buffalo and Rochester would warrant such attendance by local political and business leaders lol. Why on a regional level it makes for a good affiliation but just simply affiliating with Buffalo or Rochester wouldn't be cause to hold a press conference. When the Devils went back to Albany NY the public was not even permitted to attend the press conference.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Sucks for Abbotsford, but attendance and the fanbase dwindled ever since the team moved to the outskirts of Vancouver.

Personally, though, this'll be better on the AHL's travel. Wasn't their closest rival Iowa (the former Houston Aeros)?

Also, I agree with them moving to Glens Falls. They were so good to the Phantoms, and any hockey team that has played in the community.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Ottawa doesn't own Binghamton, they can't just move the team. They can move their affiliation elsewhere, but not the franchise.

My guess for Elmira is some kind of affiliation with Buffalo and Rochester. I can't see them moving to the AHL. The arena isn't much smaller than Utica, but the area is a lot smaller.

First I think that Elmira might get another Promotion and move to the AHL. Second please this

http://www.howlings.net/2014/04/15/...tion_types=news.publishes&fb_ref=pub-standard

Teams do not "move up" or "down" or get "promoted". This is not the SEL. There are 30 AHL licenses that are all currently owned by someone. Any team/affiliation going to a place where there is not currently and AHL team would require taking one fo the current AHL licenses and moving it from its current location. So Bingo to anywhere would require someone moving their license to the new location.

Sucks for Abbotsford, but attendance and the fanbase dwindled ever since the team moved to the outskirts of Vancouver.

Personally, though, this'll be better on the AHL's travel. Wasn't their closest rival Iowa (the former Houston Aeros)?

Also, I agree with them moving to Glens Falls. They were so good to the Phantoms, and any hockey team that has played in the community.

The attendance in Omaha and QC was higher than in Abbotsford's final season.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Teams do not "move up" or "down" or get "promoted". This is not the SEL. There are 30 AHL licenses that are all currently owned by someone. Any team/affiliation going to a place where there is not currently and AHL team would require taking one fo the current AHL licenses and moving it from its current location. So Bingo to anywhere would require someone moving their license to the new location.

Elmira's staying in the ECHL. Like I said, it's a move to Glens Falls, since the Phantoms are moving down to Lehigh Valley.

The attendance in Omaha and QC was higher than in Abbotsford's final season.

The Ak-Sar-Ben Knights didn't get a whole lot of love, but they had better figures than the Heat.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd imagine they'd still want to keep them close to Calgary. I wonder if Saskatoon or Regina could be an option. Both cities are going through major growth.

Last edited:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I'd imagine they'd still want to keep them close to Calgary. I wonder if Saskatoon or Regina could be an option. Both cities are going through major growth.

No they don't. They don't want their players in hotels and on planes all the time. I believe they are migrating to the Northeast.

No AHL team should be west much further than Chicago.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
A dark horse in all this relocation is Kansas City. There are rumblings that there will be a new arena in Kansas City out by the Speedway and Sporting KC's soccer stadium. The arena would be 6k to 8k. If it's passed and is a go, those operating the arena are going to try to attract an AHL team. KC was a very good IHL market when it was the AAA affiliate for the Sharks.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
A dark horse in all this relocation is Kansas City. There are rumblings that there will be a new arena in Kansas City out by the Speedway and Sporting KC's soccer stadium. The arena would be 6k to 8k. If it's passed and is a go, those operating the arena are going to try to attract an AHL team. KC was a very good IHL market when it was the AAA affiliate for the Sharks.

Interesting...what about Mavs of CHL? They draw well. Blades in IHL were great, wonderful ownership. Still think it is farther west than the AHL footprint should be.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
No they don't. They don't want their players in hotels and on planes all the time. I believe they are migrating to the Northeast.

No AHL team should be west much further than Chicago.

Having the team closer to them makes for earier recalling/assigning of players. Winnipeg is relocating their farm team to get them closer for the same reason. Regina/Saskatoon would also have a strong enough market to actually support a team.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Having the team closer to them makes for earier recalling/assigning of players. Winnipeg is relocating their farm team to get them closer for the same reason. Regina/Saskatoon would also have a strong enough market to actually support a team.

Cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars, millions even, just so they can get a player 2 hours quicker? NO. The AHL does not want to be in that region unless there are 5 other teams within a reasonable bus ride. Not going to happen.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars, millions even, just so they can get a player 2 hours quicker? NO. The AHL does not want to be in that region unless there are 5 other teams within a reasonable bus ride. Not going to happen.

Took a quick look at the geography of the AHL, I had no idea the vast majority of the teams were so far east.

ahl_20map.jpg

Slightly outdated, as WPG is gone now. I had no idea Abbottsford was that far away from the rest of the league.

Markham, Ontario might be worth looking into. New arena going up soon, attendance wouldn't be an issue.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

As far as I'm concerned KC is a no brainer (That's why I mentioned it further upstream - at least I think I mentioned it) but I can't figure out why they'd need a new arena for the AHL. Don't they have a relatively new one downtown already?

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Took a quick look at the geography of the AHL, I had no idea the vast majority of the teams were so far east.

Slightly outdated, as WPG is gone now. I had no idea Abbottsford was that far away from the rest of the league.

Markham, Ontario might be worth looking into. New arena going up soon, attendance wouldn't be an issue.

You know there's already an AHL team in Toronto, right?

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
As far as I'm concerned KC is a no brainer (That's why I mentioned it further upstream - at least I think I mentioned it) but I can't figure out why they'd need a new arena for the AHL. Don't they have a relatively new one downtown already?

No, not for use by an AHL team.
The Greater Kansas City area has three arenas that could be used for hockey:
Sprint Center, which is downtown. It seats 17K for hockey and is operated by AEG. AEG has no interest in putting a minor league hockey team or any professional sports franchise for that matter, as a tenant in the arena.
Independence Events Center in Independence, MO. This is the home of the Mavericks and seats about 6k for hockey.
Kemper Arena, which is near downtown in the West Bottoms. The Scouts and Blades played in Kemper. It has been mothballed, will be demolished and re-engineered as an Equestrian Center.

In Kansas City, Ks, west of downtown about 25 minutes, ISC built a NASCAR track which is used for two NASCAR events. Sporting KC also built their stadium in KCK and there is a 10,000 seat minor league baseball stadium.

There have been rumors that the KCK (Wyandotte County) government also wants to build an arena near the Speedway/Sporting Park. While I think it may impact the Mavericks, a team in KCK would draw more from the Kansas side of the state line and Lawrence.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Re: Sprint Center - would they be open to an NHL franchise?

That's why the place was built. It was one of the suitors for the Predators franchise to move to; and the arena was also used as a threat of relocation by the Penguins to goad the City of Pittsburgh into building a new arena.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
That's why the place was built. It was one of the suitors for the Predators franchise to move to; and the arena was also used as a threat of relocation by the Penguins to goad the City of Pittsburgh into building a new arena.

OK. That's what I thought but just wanted to check.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for this.

Re: Sprint Center - would they be open to an NHL franchise?

Important to note though that there doesn't appear to be an interested owner in that market.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Important to note though that there doesn't appear to be an interested owner in that market.

I'm not sure if the city is willing to give concessions (i.e. most of the revenues) over to an NHL team. When it was built, they might have thought that, but in operation, I'm told the city is making a bit of money. AEG (owns the Kings) operates the arena, so an NHL team tends to become a renter. If that's correct (and who the heck knows), there really isn't going to be owner OR league interest.

While the size of the arena says NHL, a rental agreement might make more sense for the AHL.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm not sure if the city is willing to give concessions (i.e. most of the revenues) over to an NHL team. When it was built, they might have thought that, but in operation, I'm told the city is making a bit of money. AEG (owns the Kings) operates the arena, so an NHL team tends to become a renter. If that's correct (and who the heck knows), there really isn't going to be owner OR league interest.

While the size of the arena says NHL, a rental agreement might make more sense for the AHL.

AEG already operates the Monarchs in Manchester, that's why they're not interested in Sprint Center for any franchise, the other opposition in KC is Sylvester James being convinced it's viable.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
AEG already operates the Monarchs in Manchester, that's why they're not interested in Sprint Center for any franchise, the other opposition in KC is Sylvester James being convinced it's viable.

AEFG operates LOTS of arenas, including partnering with the Coyotes in operating Glendale. AEG is so big that these sports franchises they own are inconsequential to their operations.

If KC could make money with an NHL team or an AHL team or a USHL team, AEG would be OK with that.

If I recall correctly, when they were wooing the Pens they offered them all the revenues from the concessions and no rent.

As for the Flames AHL affiliation, I wonder where they will go next. They seem to keep burning bridges and that reputation should make a location think twice about doing business with them. Omaha attendance was actually increasing and the Flames yanked it for a better deal.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
AEFG operates LOTS of arenas, including partnering with the Coyotes in operating Glendale. AEG is so big that these sports franchises they own are inconsequential to their operations.

If KC could make money with an NHL team or an AHL team or a USHL team, AEG would be OK with that.

If I recall correctly, when they were wooing the Pens they offered them all the revenues from the concessions and no rent.

As for the Flames AHL affiliation, I wonder where they will go next. They seem to keep burning bridges and that reputation should make a location think twice about doing business with them. Omaha attendance was actually increasing and the Flames yanked it for a better deal.

Good point last paragraph....i.e. Quad Cities as well....Heard no other smoke except Glens Falls but we shall see.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Good point last paragraph....i.e. Quad Cities as well....Heard no other smoke except Glens Falls but we shall see.

Well I've read all the comets and canucks releases about being committed to utica, but things are just weird. Comets are now selling their used equipment, gloves, sticks skates ect this friday. Is this normal for ahl teams to go this? The comets team store was almost completely empty over the last week of games. No rumors of where abbotsford is going. I'm still getting that feeling that we may have different colors opening night...,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad