Heart and Soul of Your Team

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Mark Giordano. On ice + culture is an embodiment of his journey to the NHL as well as the lessons he has learned from a class act like Iginla.

Brad Treliving.

This guys has done so much to overhaul the organization as a rookie GM (with so little recognition) it's ridiculous. He improved the farm system vastly to improve development, culture, fit and practicality. No longer is the farm in the East (Adirondack) or plays in the East but located in the West (Abbotsford) and essentially un-accessible due to distance and time zones, the farm team has been revised to have less barriers of NHL graduation (plays same style as big club now and development prioritized over wins, which wasn't always the case), improved support for the kids (mental health, addiction, culture etc.) but revising the training camp format and the resources in Stockton and so on, so forth.

This guy successfully has bought out a few players which has not been allowed by ownership for who knows how long. He still can't salary retain, but at least he has gotten rid of this restriction which has been around for decades. He has drastically reduced the amount of ownership meddling that used to occur by demanding it as part of his extension discussions.

Rightly or wrongly in his methodology, he took a roster and farm system starved of talent from 2015 that looks comparable to the 2019 Ottawa Senators and has improved to drastically without tanking. Love him or hate him, that's pretty solid. Keep in mind, at that time, Baertschi/Klimchuk/Poirier not Gaudreau was supposed to be the future of our prospect cupboard and Monahan was a sophomore 3C behind Stajan and Backlund (the injury prone version).

I mean, it's not like many of us don't get frustrated with him. But damn is this guy unwavering in his pursuit of his vision. That's really damn respectable even if you don't fully agree with his "process".

Reactions: Bounces R Way

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Can't see any Bruins fan arguing my pick:

81qkG3zlAQL._SY606_.jpg

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
There are a couple good answers for the Canes. Justin Williams is the most obvious, for all the obvious reasons. And more so than any other coach, Brind'Amour is beloved and really belongs in this discussion. He's talked about how he really thinks of the team as his kids, and that truly paternal style of relationship shows. They love him as a dad, and there have been players who have described Williams and Brind'Amour as the mom and dad of the team.

But less well known is Jordan Martinook. He's just a high energy guy who's always cheering, dancing, and bucking up his teammates. He keeps everyone loose but is deeply passionate about getting results on the ice, too.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know... maybe Pekka Rinne? Roman Josi is captain, and for whatever reason the organization seems to value Ryan Ellis highly, but those are more "soul" picks, and Rinne still feels like the "soul" to me.

I don't know who really stands out in a "heart" sense on the ice. I reckon that's been part of the problem the last couple of playoffs for us. Subban probably showed the most in-game heart if anybody did. :dunno:

Reactions: BonMorrison

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
For Montreal it's super easy - Gallagher

I'm not his biggest fan - but this should be almost unanimous for Habs.
The first names that come to mind when talking of the Habs are usually Price and Weber, but Gallagher does lead the charge!

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
People will probably disagree but it's Marchand

I don't care for the Bruins personally, but I don't see how this could be a bad choice.
Either he, Bergeron, or Chara. Those three guys bleed Bruin gold and are the first names I think of when someone mentions the hubbed B.
All three embody what the Bruins have been about for years: Tough, defensive, two way, agitating play with a flair for scoring when it matters.

Excuse me...I need to go throw up a little now... :laugh:

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Tampa Bay Lightning:
Right now (and actually for the last few years) I will say Steven Stamkos. Guy does everything. Scores, sets up, defends, takes the "heat" from fans and media when things don't go right, always says the right things in front of the cameras, and even took less to stay on with the team that helped make him a superstar.

Guy could be continuing to score 50-60 goals a year if he were selfish and one dimensional...at the expense of his team constantly losing games...but no....he works hard, isn't given nearly enough credit for the many other things he does on the ice, to help his linemates, and to ensure that his TEAM comes out on top first, and not his personal stat sheet.
At the end of the year, one way or another, he ends up with great numbers anyway.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

dubgeek

Mar 1, 2012
Franklin, TN
I don't know... maybe Pekka Rinne? Roman Josi is captain, and for whatever reason the organization seems to value Ryan Ellis highly, but those are more "soul" picks, and Rinne still feels like the "soul" to me.

I don't know who really stands out in a "heart" sense on the ice. I reckon that's been part of the problem the last couple of playoffs for us. Subban probably showed the most in-game heart if anybody did. :dunno:

I'd agree with Peks as the soul.

The heart is Arvidsson by a good margin IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad