Heart and Soul of Your Team

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd agree with Peks as the soul.

The heart is Arvidsson by a good margin IMHO.
Yeah, I don't agree with that. Arvidsson is my favorite player actually and he's peppy on the ice and makes some cool energetic plays. But he hasn't exactly risen to any occasions lately and I don't know what kind of motivator or other "heart" type of intangibles he displays. He's a fun player to watch, but I'm definitely not seeing him as the "heart" kind of player that other teams are noting in this thread. :dunno:

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Minnesota Wild:

Man, I know some Wild fans who have had it with these two (mostly on the contracts more than the player really), but I gotta say Zach Parise and STILL Mikko Koivu.
I know the Wild need to get younger and faster, but what a difference on this team when Zach Parise is playing vs when he is on IR.... he not only seems to lead by his play on the ice, but his mere presence allows other players to be slotted better in the lineups.
Parise may not a superstar caliber winger like Alex Ovechkin, but the man still is the driving force on the forward ranks....if he plays and goes well, so do the other forwards.

Mikko Koivu? Yes, long in the tooth now and maybe nearing the end of his Wild tenure, and probably should be a 3C by now, but he too sets tones on the forward ranks when he is playing well.
And no one, maybe Eric Staal can, can influence possession on the team quite like he can with his still excellent FO prowess.
Without Koivu, and if Staal is having an off night or two at the dot, the Wild find themselves constantly trying to fetch the puck rather than starting with it.

More puck possession = more confidence for Wild skaters and Koivu has provided that for years and still does.

On the defensive side, I will give a nod to heart n soul to Ryan Suter (Wild are a bit of jumbled mess without him eating up minutes back there) and Jared Spurgeon, who absolutely plays his heart out and most definitely plays like a man twice his size in the physical department as well. It's made him quite the fan favorite and one of the main cogs driving things from the blue line.

Hopefully, Mat Dumba slides into that type of role as well. Last season was promising prior to his injury.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Gotta go with Connor “the Next Great One” McDavid for the Oilers and also for the league, the kid is just that impressive and the hockey gods shone downbeat when they gifted him to us all.

Reactions: ujju2 and Volica

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Coleman was my second choice. Guy works so hard and you can tell it means something special to him to succeed with the club that gave him a chance. He’s a fan favorite in return.

I've seen enough Devils games over the past couple seasons to know this to be true.
Blake Coleman is one of those guys who will NEVER get press, who never is credited with his team's good fortunes, or won't ever be mistaken for a 'franchise player', but man does he work, work, work, and many times, his efforts put to shame some other so-called star players with regards to how much of a chance he gives his team to win.

His actual skillset may leave something to be desired still, but no question the way he goes about his business and his max effort truly make him greater than the sum of his parts.

Every team needs a blue collar, no-nonsense, hey-give-me-the-gritty work type of guy like this.
And you can tell when he does do something that shows up on the scoresheet, his own teammates are ridiculously elated for him...they know his value.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I am not sure because I don't know how to measure heart and soul. I am not in the dressing room

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I don't know... maybe Pekka Rinne? Roman Josi is captain, and for whatever reason the organization seems to value Ryan Ellis highly, but those are more "soul" picks, and Rinne still feels like the "soul" to me.

I don't know who really stands out in a "heart" sense on the ice. I reckon that's been part of the problem the last couple of playoffs for us. Subban probably showed the most in-game heart if anybody did. :dunno:

Fisher was that guy, but they haven’t fully replaced him.

Reactions: NNCbama

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I don't know... maybe Pekka Rinne? Roman Josi is captain, and for whatever reason the organization seems to value Ryan Ellis highly, but those are more "soul" picks, and Rinne still feels like the "soul" to me.

I don't know who really stands out in a "heart" sense on the ice. I reckon that's been part of the problem the last couple of playoffs for us. Subban probably showed the most in-game heart if anybody did. :dunno:

Arvidsson is the answer.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
People will probably disagree but it's Marchand

You think the other players, coaches, training staff, management team would put Marchy as the HEART and SOUL of the Bruins when we have Patrice friggen Bergeron on the same team? Even Chara I would put before Marchand. I love Marchy, but he does not out rank the other two mentioned. Bergeron is the epitome answer here. Chara would garner some votes probably. Just pure class leader, but I think Patrice is absolutely the PERFECT answer.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I disagree.

Strenuously.

I don't care for the Bruins personally, but I don't see how this could be a bad choice.
Either he, Bergeron, or Chara. Those three guys bleed Bruin gold and are the first names I think of when someone mentions the hubbed B.
All three embody what the Bruins have been about for years: Tough, defensive, two way, agitating play with a flair for scoring when it matters.

Excuse me...I need to go throw up a little now... :laugh:

I would say Bergeron, then Chara, then a big drop off.

Marchand has talent, and he’s a pest, and he’s good at what he does, but his leadership is lacking. There’s a reason there’s no letter on his sweater. Don’t get me wrong - I’d much rather have him on the Bruins than not, but he’s NOT the heart and soul of the Bruins.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Marner, Matthews, and Nylander have proven themselves to be money grubbers, so it's clearly not them. Rielly or Tavares are the only two options for Toronto IMO, but I'm going with Rielly because he's currently the longest tenured Leaf.

It sounds like you're bitter because those players are either getting paid or about to get paid. And how can you say that pajama boy is the heart and soul of the team?

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs

Sounds about right for the Bruins... I guess for Boston Brad the Rat is their Pied Piper leading the charge. Buncha rats.

The first names that come to mind when talking of the Habs are usually Price and Weber, but Gallagher does lead the charge!

In Montreal Price and Weber are the foundation but Gallagher leads the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad