Dreger: "Hearing whispers" on the future of Stamkos in Tampa

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Interesting cap situation for TBL. They are $3.5 m over cap with just 17 players signed. Would seem like all or most of their RFAs won't be resigned and league minimums would need to fill those slots. Even with that, looks like additional player or players would be to be cut.

Unless of course they go they LTIR route again. Given what transpired last year, I guess it could happen again. They do have multiple players who are injured that will require off season surgery. But, without knowing the extent of injury and the recovery timeline, which of these players could be placed on LTIR for the entire season that would give TBL sufficient cap relief? As an example, it looks like Hedman could have his surgery and recover fast enough to see all or most of the regular season. Got to remember next season will be longer with a full 82 game schedule unlike last year's shortened schedule.

Will be interesting to see what transpires and I doubt if I'll be surprised if they do something like they did last year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, but when he hints that guys will have to leave, he means other guys, guys who don't have a no-movement clause in their contracts like he does. His value to the team is irrelevant. It's all about his no-movement protections.
Sure unless he himself was approached by the team and/or is thinking about waiving. Wouldn’t be the first time. Tampa will be a contender next year but but less competitive. He has reached and won everything in and with Tampa a hockey player dreams about. Time to think about the next step (stay and “sit it out” or win it all elsewhere while he can dictate where).

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Sure unless he himself was approached by the team and/or is thinking about waiving. Wouldn’t be the first time. Tampa will be a contender next year but but less competitive. He has reached and won everything in and with Tampa a hockey player dreams about. Time to think about the next step (stay and “sit it out” or win it all elsewhere while he can dictate where).
About halfway through writing that out, I'm guessing that reasoning started to sound lame in your head too. Stamkos already can dictate where, and that is Tampa, straight through to the end of his contract after another three seasons. That's what his no-movement clause buys him. Total control. No one with years left on his contract leaves Tampa right now, if he can avoid it. Stamkos is one of the few players who has the option of telling them to pound sand. The only guys who leave are UFAs who can get more money elsewhere, money that the Lightning do not have given their cap issues. If you are already signed and have a NMC, you're in the catbird seat. That's Stamkos right now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
About halfway through writing that out, I'm guessing that reasoning started to sound lame in your head too. Stamkos already can dictate where, and that is Tampa, straight through to the end of his contract after another three seasons. That's what his no-movement clause buys him. Total control. No one with years left on his contract leaves Tampa right now, if he can avoid it. Stamkos is one of the few players who has the option of telling them to pound sand. The only guys who leave are UFAs who can get more money elsewhere, money that the Lightning do not have given their cap issues. If you are already signed and have a NMC, you're in the catbird seat. That's Stamkos right now.
He has options, Tampa doesn’t (w/r/t Stamkos). He holds all the cards. I guess we’ll see.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He has options, Tampa doesn’t (w/r/t Stamkos). He holds all the cards. I guess we’ll see.
Indeed. Tampa is just too good a deal for a hockey player right now. With options, you stay there as long as possible. For Stamkos, it's three more years and that is guaranteed. For most other players there, there are varying degrees of risk that they could send you somewhere else, somewhere that is less attractive... at this time in the NHL universe, that is everywhere that is not Tampa.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
NMC great state tax situation. Apparently took a discount to stay with team.
I personally love Tampa and is my favorite city in North America.
He’s settled there has a championship contender next year and has a NMC. Why would you accept a trade?
Aside from Toronto to come home or maybe Buffalo that is an hour an change from toronto, he has no reason to waive. Besides toronto has no cap and you don’t waive to go from the best team to the worst

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
If Fleury can be asked to waive his NMC to go to Vegas, then Stamkos definitely can be asked to waive his NMC. Of course, this can all just be a prelude to a major surgery/LTIR situation rather than him being traded. Dreger said nothing about a trade, technically.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If Fleury can be asked to waive his NMC to go to Vegas, then Stamkos definitely can be asked to waive his NMC. Of course, this can all just be a prelude to a major surgery/LTIR situation rather than him being traded. Dreger said nothing about a trade, technically.

Pittsburgh thought they had an upgrade in Murray over Fleury, there's a big difference.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Pittsburgh thought they had an upgrade in Murray over Fleury, there's a big difference.
To be fair, they had a Cap issue that they had to resolve and Fleury was the necessary player to move. Eerily similar to Tampa's situation, IMO.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

While a juicy trade idea for a fantasy league the thought should be dismissed as quickly as it's entertained. Full NMC and the captain of the Cup winning team.

Obviously this could help Tampa tremendously with their cap, he's still a productive but unnecessary piece. This shouldn't be taken seriously yet, more of a musing than a rumor.

How do i say this without sounding like i hate Stamkos because i really do not but..... Can someone please name me a more underwhelming captain to take his team to the cup in the last few decades?
Last year they won without him and pretty sure they could have won without him again this year. At this point he is a passenger on a great team. Tampa would be very very lucky to be able to get rid of his contract without having to send meaningful prospects or draft picks the other way.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I'm going out on a real limb here by saying there's no chance in hell Tampa trades its captain, with a NMC, after back to back Cups.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
The 2 situations aren't even remotely similar/comparable

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
To be fair, they had a Cap issue that they had to resolve and Fleury was the necessary player to move. Eerily similar to Tampa's situation, IMO.

I mean, most teams have cap issues, and the similarities pretty much end there.

Expansion rules, teams can only protect one goalie, Murray was seen as the better goalie for the future of their team and Fleury was blocking his path. We don't need Stamkos to waive his NMC to protect someone, and Stamkos isn't blocking anyone either. There is a very big difference

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I assume Tampa only wants cap relief right? In that case, what team can take on that cap hit that Stammer waives to? Not to mention the teams that could afford him prob aren't willing to give away picks and prospects if they aren't contending. I don't see him being moved tbh.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
He has a full NMC, is the captain of the B2B cup champs, and lives in a sunny low tax state.

Why would he accept any kind of trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad