Dreger: "Hearing whispers" on the future of Stamkos in Tampa

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

While a juicy trade idea for a fantasy league the thought should be dismissed as quickly as it's entertained. Full NMC and the captain of the Cup winning team.

Obviously this could help Tampa tremendously with their cap, he's still a productive but unnecessary piece. This shouldn't be taken seriously yet, more of a musing than a rumor.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He must have really good hearing to hear whispers all the way from Tampa.

giphy.gif

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It would actually help them. That cap space would go a long way for them. No disrespect to stamkos but IMO they still win back to back cups if he didn’t play at all.

Yep, evidenced by Cup #1 where he played a single shift.

The crux of any trade relies on the burden of asking the revered and former centerpiece of your franchise to accept a trade, on the heels of a back to back Cup championship. How do you ask him not to be part of a potential 3-peat?

I don't see how you work up the nerve to approach him, it would have to be the other way around, even if the NMC weren't in play.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Whenever I think if Tampa now I think of back to back Stanely Cup Champs, Tom Brady on the boat, and "that boy bad news he a menace to society"

At one point it used to be basically Stamkos who came to my mind with Tampa. He's a great player and a Hall of famer but the Bolts can move on from him now and still be a top 3 favorite next year

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I mean, theoretically it's the right move. He isn't worth the money to Tampa and they don't need him to have success.

In reality I don't see them trading away their captain. From what I've seen the locker room loves him and I don't know if you want to mess with that considering the roll they are currently on

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think they trade Mcdonagh before they trade Stamkos. That being said Johnson and Killorn are probably at the top of the list

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
This is only a business - nothing personal. ;)
From this point of view of Stamkos - now one of the anchors of the Tampa.
From this point of view, the answer is yes, yes, yes!!!
What does the heart say?
dunno.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad