Dreger: "Hearing whispers" on the future of Stamkos in Tampa

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Yep, evidenced by Cup #1 where he played a single shift.

The crux of any trade relies on the burden of asking the revered and former centerpiece of your franchise to accept a trade, on the heels of a back to back Cup championship. How do you ask him not to be part of a potential 3-peat?

I don't see how you work up the nerve to approach him, it would have to be the other way around, even if the NMC weren't in play.

I prefer to consider it as like the highest g/60 in nhl playoff history.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Imagine taking $2.5m/year less to stay in Tampa only to be asked to waive your NMC.
This is why I don't see a trade happening.

It would make Tampa Bay look very bad to future UFAs.

If I was a future UFA, then I would think twice about signing with the Lightning if they had previously asked Stamkos to waive his NMC after he took a discount to stay there.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
This is only a business - nothing personal. ;)
From this point of view of Stamkos - now one of the anchors of the Tampa.
From this point of view, the answer is yes, yes, yes!!!
What does the heart say?
dunno.gif
You are right. It is a business. That business includes making yourself an attractive destination for future UFAs.

If you sign Stamkos to a discount and then ask him to waive his NMC halfway through the deal, then you had better believe that this will be in the back of the mind for any future UFA you might be interested is.

An UFA doesn't want to sign somewhere with a NMC included and then be asked to waive it midway through the deal.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Vegas

Tampa, Vegas and an unknown lower in the standings team with cap room team will execute a perfect 3 way trade that will make this site go absolutely crazy with anger

thats my offseason prediction

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He should probably explain what these whispers are about given the fact that Stamkos has a full NMC and a buyout-proof contract.

This is a probably needless to say but still very good to point out, if the Lightning were desperate for cap space Stamkos doesn't save much on a buyout since basically his entire salary is paid in signing bonus.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Probably more exciting than usual.

Seattle expansion draft
Eichel almost certainly getting traded
Jones almost certainly getting traded
A number of teams close to the cap ceiling if not over it

There's going to be a number of exiting things happening over the next four weeks.
Exiting…and entering
Gonna be both exciting and entertaining!

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You are right. It is a business. That business includes making yourself an attractive destination for future UFAs.

If you sign Stamkos to a discount and then ask him to waive his NMC halfway through the deal, then you had better believe that this will be in the back of the mind for any future UFA you might be interested is.

An UFA doesn't want to sign somewhere with a NMC included and then be asked to waive it midway through the deal.

Not exactly true. Players want NTC's and NMC's so that they can have some say as to where they end up, not necessarily because they never want to leave.

Stamkos knows it's a business, and management has been transparent to the players and the coaches that changes have to be made this offseason.

I still don't expect him to be asked to waive though.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
"Whispers" doesn't specify trade.

What if it's about his injury/surgery/recovery future? Or worse still, retirement whispers?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This would be our best option if Stamkos actually lets it happen. If we lose Stamkos and Johnson, we are essentially the same team that won the 2020 cup.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Vegas

Tampa, Vegas and an unknown lower in the standings team with cap room team will execute a perfect 3 way trade that will make this site go absolutely crazy with anger

thats my offseason prediction
Isn't vegas capped out as well?

Unless the three team trade has MAF or Lehner going the other way

Knights last year I remember had to tinker a lot to fit in Pietrangelo (Schmidt given away for a 3rd, Stastny given away, I forget what for)

If they can fit Stamkos in and he waives his NMC they'd be a good fit as the Knignts center depth is not good and they can use a big upgrade there

Maybe

Detroit: Robin Lehner + 2021 1st Vegas + 2022 1st Tampa + Tyler Johnson

To Tampa: Cody Glass ( cheap ELC who plays next year in the top 6) + Tyler Bertuzzi signed to a cheap 1 year deal say at 3M to go and get a big offensive year in Tampa and then a pay day the next year

To Knignts : Stamkos

Tampa sends out 12.5M and takes on around 4-5M depending on what 1 year deal Bertuzzi gets

Vegas sends out 5M and takes in 8.5M

Detroit gets 2 1sts and then Lehner who if he puts up big numbers can be sold again for value. Johnson serves as a cap dump but he has only a few years left

Reactions: ollewall

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Stamkos to Seattle would be something interesting. They will have the assets.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Considering they won cup #1 without him, this is likely the smartest cap move.

But no way is he going to waive the NMC.

He's captain of a back-to-back champion, plays in a nice city, retains loads of money through tax savings, and has played his entire career there.

This is a dream situation for him right now. He isn't leaving. :laugh:

Reactions: HBK27

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Isn't vegas capped out as well?

Unless the three team trade has MAF or Lehner going the other way

Knights last year I remember had to tinker a lot to fit in Pietrangelo (Schmidt given away for a 3rd, Stastny given away, I forget what for)

If they can fit Stamkos in and he waives his NMC they'd be a good fit as the Knignts center depth is not good and they can use a big upgrade there

Maybe

Detroit: Robin Lehner + 2021 1st Vegas + 2022 1st Tampa + Tyler Johnson

To Tampa: Cody Glass ( cheap ELC who plays next year in the top 6) + Tyler Bertuzzi signed to a cheap 1 year deal say at 3M to go and get a big offensive year in Tampa and then a pay day the next year

To Knignts : Stamkos

Tampa sends out 12.5M and takes on around 4-5M depending on what 1 year deal Bertuzzi gets

Vegas sends out 5M and takes in 8.5M

Detroit gets 2 1sts and then Lehner who if he puts up big numbers can be sold again for value. Johnson serves as a cap dump but he has only a few years left

Tyler johnson has a NTC and no one wanted him for free.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Jesus, Dreger is really reaching this off-season. Tomorrow I’m sure he’ll link him to the Leafs.

he’s not waiving. They’ll lose a decent salary to Seattle and trade Kilorn for scraps.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad