Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt IV — Rangers get permission to speak to Ruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
The 'angle' she stated was that the Rangers would not overlook Messier. That's all she said, and it turns out she was exactly right. And you're the one who was wrong to criticize her for saying it.

You were wrong, just move on.

She hasn't been right about anything. All we have gotten is a bunch of overblown speculation coming from the NY media and "talking heads" so they can have something to say.

Just because she was the first to print something stupid, doesn't make it less stupid.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
She hasn't been right about anything. All we have gotten is a bunch of overblown speculation coming from the NY media and "talking heads" so they can have something to say.

Just because she was the first to print something stupid, doesn't make it less stupid.

I get your attempt to turn this into something about the media in general, but I'm only talking about her comment that the Rangers would not overlook Messier. She was right on that comment. Period.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yeah not really following your logic here. I questioned it at the time, and you're not making any more sense the more you try to explain it.

She's a beat reporter. Her job is to report news about the Rangers. The Rangers considering Messier is news and she reported it. Whether it's a manufactured angle or not, it's still something that people ought to know.

Based on what we know about Mark Messier, his iconic status with the club, his previously stated desire to serve as general manager, and his current position with the club--do you believe it's a stretch that he wants a shot at this position, and that the team will at least give him perfunctory consideration?

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I get your attempt to turn this into something about the media in general, but I'm only talking about her comment that the Rangers would not overlook Messier. She was right on that comment. Period.

Right about what exactly? Its a completely manufactured stance. There is no way to prove her point one way or another unless Messier gets the job.

He won't, so its completely silly. The media can "fill in the blanks" any way they see fit.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Yeah not really following your logic here. I questioned it at the time, and you're not making any more sense the more you try to explain it.

She's a beat reporter. Her job is to report news about the Rangers. The Rangers considering Messier is news and she reported it. Whether it's a manufactured angle or not, it's still something that people ought to know.

That is my point, I don't think they are.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Based on what we know about Mark Messier, his iconic status with the club, his previously stated desire to serve as general manager, and his current position with the club--do you believe it's a stretch that he wants a shot at this position, and that the team will at least give him perfunctory consideration?

No, I don't. A major point of consideration is getting Hank signed to a long term extension. You don't think the potential choice of coach is going to factor into Hank's contract extension?

You think Hank is going to be thrilled with a guy with zero coaching experience? You honestly believe the organization is going to hand over the keys to roster that is trying to contend right now?

I do believe that Messier is still trying to position himself to be GM for the club. Gorton is going to be the next GM if I had to take my guess with Messier as head assistant. I do not see any interest in him being a coach.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
No, I don't. A major point of consideration is getting Hank signed to a long term extension. You don't the potential choice of coach is going to factor into Hank's contract extension?

You think Hank is going to be thrilled with a guy with zero coaching experience? You honestly believe the organization is going to hand over the keys to roster that is trying to contend right now?

Perfunctory consideration doesn't means that they're hiring him...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Right about what exactly? Its a completely manufactured stance. There is no way to prove her point one way or another unless Messier gets the job.

He won't, so its completely silly. The media can "fill in the blanks" any way they see fit.

There's no way to prove your point one way or another, even if he doesn't get the job. So she's a stupid beat writer and you're what? The typical whiny ESPN blog commenter? You're projecting your opinion as fact and condemning someone else for sharing information that's contrary to your belief.

Whatever, man. Get over it. She's doing her job. If you don't like the current state of sports news reporting, I'd recommend staying off the internet.

Last edited:

*Bob Richards*

I don't even think you need a satirical disclaimer to explain how false a Millbury hiring would be.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
There's no way to prove your point one way or another, even if he doesn't get the job. So she's a stupid beat writer and you're what? The typical whiny ESPN blog commenter? You're projecting your opinion as fact and condemning someone else for sharing information that's contrary to your belief.

Whatever, man. Get over it. She's doing her job. If you don't like the current state or sports news reporting, I'd recommend staying off the internet.

She can report anything she wants to report. I can also say whether or not I think its completely full of BS.

To be fair, I am not singling her out as being a bad beat writer. I think the Rangers have terrible beat writers in general(so she is just more of the same)imo. The best one we have is Larry Brooks and he can be completely full of it.

psu711

Jan 29, 2007
Allentown
I don't even think you need a satirical disclaimer to explain how false a Millbury hiring would be.

To Be fair, was listening to a local Pittsburgh Radio station and they mentioned it came across their ticker and couldnt believe it...

But yeah, could you imagine?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
She can report anything she wants to report. I can also say whether or not I think its completely full of BS.

To be fair, I am not singling her out as being a bad beat writer. I think the Rangers have terrible beat writers in general(so she is just more of the same)imo. The best one we have is Larry Brooks and he can be completely full of it.

You're right! And you're not stupid for having an opinion. Nor is she stupid for reporting what she did. Glad we agree!

*Bob Richards*

To Be fair, was listening to a local Pittsburgh Radio station and they mentioned it came across their ticker and couldnt believe it...

But yeah, could you imagine?

I would discontinue this account, leave my family and go live amongst wolves or something.

Kershaw

Am hoping for Messier because of circus show to have media pressure Dolan into firing everyone, including 94 retreads. One can only hope.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If they hire Messier for coach I am done with this team until he and Sather are gone

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If they hire Messier for coach I am done with this team until he and Sather are gone

I'd make the same threat, but I know I wouldn't actually follow through.

I did good last year in disavowing myself of my Jets fandom. The Rangers are far too beloved. They'd have to murder kittens or something.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
This.

This is not an elite offensive team. And if the next coach tries a very different system and tries to "open it up" significantly, then... what was the phrase Torts haters used? Jamming square pegs into round holes... Will lead to a bumpy ride to say the least.

The offense looked a lot better on paper when it had a Marian Gaborik in the lineup and a Chris Kreider about to become a 25 goal scorer.

The failures of those two things to come to fruition has turned the offense into the same mediocre one that couldn't come through in the playoffs last year.

So we enter this offense in the same jam... we need a scorer or two. The good news is that shouldn't we be able to turn Brad Richards' money into one at some point?

*Bob Richards*

I've never known a Cup and am a part time Mets fan. Hiring Messier, while terrible, wouldn't be the worst thing I've seen lol.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'd make the same threat, but I know I wouldn't actually follow through.

I did good last year in disavowing myself of my Jets fandom. The Rangers are far too beloved. They'd have to murder kittens or something.

I'll follow through unless they somehow do well and then I'll swallow my pride and admit I was wrong, but I'm pretty sure giving a guy with absolutely zero coaching experience at any level the head coaching job when you're trying to turn your team into a contender is like the dumbest possible thing to do

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
I by no mean want Messier as the coach. He's too much an unknown when it comes to coaching. BUT, being done with the team, the second he gets hired, is a little much. I'd wait and see. Part of the unknown, is surprise. Maybe he'd be good at his job. I don't know. I'd wait and see.

But give me Boucher or Tippett.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Please don't let it be Messier. This summer already started too soon. The Mets win like one game a week. I can't add an entire summer of dreading Messier as coach on top of that, while more experienced, accomplished coaches sign elsewhere. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad