Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt IV — Rangers get permission to speak to Ruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Lindy is getting dissed... perennial loser.

Buffalo struggles to get any great UFA talent to sign. Always did , always will. Always building off their draft, other teams discards....

Last time Buffalo was a contender they built a GREAT team off Drury and Briere, two guys that were not Elite when they came to Buffalo, Vanek, Miller and Campbell, Pomenville all drafted...

How would Lindy fare with Sather feeding him A GREAT CORE + the elite talent that is always willing to sign in NY?

It was part of what made Ruff impressive imo...

KreiMeARiver*

Yes, Drury and Briere and Tallinder and Lydman and Campbell were the worst players on earth in their prime.

Your reasoning is flawless. :handclap:

ugh... go back to bed...it was a joke. I suppose I could have highlighted Drury, but I figured it was obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Being back Ted Sater. I think he coaching somewhere in Hungry. He hated Pierre Larouche I wonder what he would do with Richards if he is still here.

KreiMeARiver*

Buffalo struggles to get any great UFA talent to sign. Always did , always will. Always building off their draft, other teams discards....

Last time Buffalo was a contender they built a GREAT team off Drury and Briere, two guys that were not Elite when they came to Buffalo, Vanek, Miller and Campbell, Pomenville all drafted...

How would Lindy fare with Sather feeding him A GREAT CORE + the elite talent that is always willing to sign in NY?

This is the problem....it's not really as great as you (and many others) think it is. Compare our core to that of the teams still left and ours does not compare.

We are loaded with mediocrity.

Zappy

Apr 23, 2013
island in the sun
This is the problem....it's not really as great as you (and many others) think it is. Compare our core to that of the teams still left and ours does not compare.

:handclap:

I don't get why the fans on this board are in a fantasy land thinking we have an amazing team. It is mediocrity + Hank.

I was talking to a Devils fan yesterday and when I said we have a mediocre team he said, "What? You have Callahan, Nash, and Boyle!"

Thank you for proving my point, friend.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Brett Cyrgalis mentioned that Lindy Ruff built a great resume during his time with Buffalo. What exactly is he basing that comment on? Being there 14+ years? Isn't that more an example of staying power more so than success?

This just gives Ruff and Sather something to talk about and bond over: How they've both maintained jobs long after they should have been fired many times over.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Yeah, don't think the team is "mediocre".

A legitimate, Stanley Cup Contender? Probably not. But mediocre? No.

Stepan/Brassard/Hagelin/Kreider/Nash/Callahan/McDonagh/Staal/Stralman/Del Zotto/Girardi/Moore/Lundqvist is a very, very solid core. That's arguably the deepest defense in the league. The right pieces need to put around these players, and the team will be able to compete. imo.

Also, the Rangers have some good, young players coming up through the pipelines; Miller, Fast, Lindberg, and Hrivik will all challenge for spots at training camp. Two, or even three of them could make the team.

There's work to do to the roster, but I just don't get the doom and gloom.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Lundqvist, and to a lesser extent, the defense, are what makes the Rangers a top 10 team in the league.

However, I think "mediocre" aptly describes our offense. A few nice pieces here and there, but not enough depth or talent up front.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Lundqvist, and to a lesser extent, the defense, are what makes the Rangers a top 10 team in the league.

However, I think "mediocre" aptly describes our offense. A few nice pieces here and there, but not enough depth or talent up front.

This, I agree with. The bottom-6 needs a bit of retooling, and the top-6 could use a right handed sniper.

Hopefully Fast/Lindberg/Miller can make a difference in the bottom-6.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012

This.

This is not an elite offensive team. And if the next coach tries a very different system and tries to "open it up" significantly, then... what was the phrase Torts haters used? Jamming square pegs into round holes... Will lead to a bumpy ride to say the least.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
It's a good core, not great. Can't imagine would it'd be considered w/o Hank.

The truth is you are all wrong if you're picking one extreme or the other. There are a handful of teams, at least, in front of us. More than a few teams behind us, but a good handful are catching up, the way the Rangers were catching up a few years ago. The gamechanger is Hank, few teams have players like him to rely on. Take him away and this core leads the middle of the pack. With him we're bringing up the rear of the best.

We're gaining momentum upfront, mainly at Center with Stepan's emergence, Brassard looking like the change was a positive charge,and Lindberg showing great promise amongst the prospects soon to be appearing on Broadway. If our backline scared anyone offensively maybe we'd still be playing hockey. If the new coach could flush out offense/PP/equal points from Staal, MCD, Del Z, Stralman that would help the cause immensely.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I fail to see how a team with a core of Nash, Lundqvist, McDonagh, Staal, Stepan, and Callahan can be considered mediocre. I think the surrounding parts are what need to be fixed. The core is fine.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If they get a forward for DZ, and with OL/Fast/JT Miller joining, that offense will look a lot better. The defense is more or less set for the rest of Hanks prime, if managed properly. We don't have a Tavares or a Doughty, but we essentially have all the hardest parts to acquire (if Step/Brass continue their play). Some deft (non-blockbuster) trades, panning out of some top prospects, and one or two smart FA signings...this will be a good team in the near future.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
When the majority of the league make the playoffs, not really. The Devils lost a lot of top players a long the way.

Different players lost, different players used as replacements.I get your points, both of yours. Just saying I'm sure there is some importance to the players that remained as well. That said my feeling is Ruff was with them 14 years and no cup? Makes me think of another long tenured hockey management person. I don't like that it makes me think of this unnamed piece of cigar smoking dog ****

Last edited:

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

I don't get why the fans on this board are in a fantasy land thinking we have an amazing team. It is mediocrity + Hank.

I was talking to a Devils fan yesterday and when I said we have a mediocre team he said, "What? You have Callahan, Nash, and Boyle!"

Your friend neglected to mention the great Del Zotto.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
If the new coach could flush out offense/PP/equal points from Staal, MCD, Del Z, Stralman that would help the cause immensely.

Agreed. I don't think Tortorella did a very good job utilizing the speed/skill he had on the blueline. A defense of McDonagh/Stralman/Del Zotto/Girardi/Moore should not be adding next to nothing offensively.

A lot of that lies in the weak, ineffective breakout that Tortorella employed, at least IMO. I think if they get a Dallas Eakins, or an Alain Vigneault, that they'll be able to get a lot out of the defense, offensively.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

That fan picked 3 really odd players. If he said, "What? You have Lundqvist, Nash and McDonagh," he wouldn't be proving your point, would he? Either way, 3 players doesn't make a team. The Rangers aren't mediocre, and they aren't way ahead of the pack either. They've got a solid lineup and they need the right coach to take the reigns and put the whole group in a position to succeed.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
. If our backline scared anyone offensively maybe we'd still be playing hockey. If the new coach could flush out offense/PP/equal points from Staal, MCD, Del Z, Stralman that would help the cause immensely.

Our offensive capapbilities from the blueline were SO poor or nonexistent and our PP turned into an international joke. So I agree. Dunno how McD got those goals.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Agreed. I don't think Tortorella did a very good job utilizing the speed/skill he had on the blueline. A defense of McDonagh/Stralman/Del Zotto/Girardi/Moore should not be adding next to nothing offensively.

A lot of that lies in the weak, ineffective breakout that Tortorella employed, at least IMO. I think if they get a Dallas Eakins, or an Alain Vigneault, that they'll be able to get a lot out of the defense, offensively.

And this is my main fault of Torts. His powerplay. Now, maybe that doesn't change under a new coach, but I don't see how it doesn't improve.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

This teams defense to offense was okay when we had some guys holding onto the puck into enemy territory, dumping it in all the time led to so many lost possessions, defense could rarely be utilized.

What really could be a concern is how radical a shift the new coach brings with him. These guys have played Torts hockey through their most demanding years. IMO, this team is gonna take time to acclimate to change. 'Smooth transition' and 'Rangers' usually don't go together.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006

Nans... the core is ultra solid. This year was decimated by injuries. It happens. Rangers have been fairly lucky

Lundqvist - is perennial Vezina

Staal - McD - Girardi - GMs would knife each other to get these guys on their team, healthy

Callahan - is the real deal. He's never going to pot 50 goals but he is a beast.

Stepan - is progressing just fine. He was just short of PPG in ****ed up half a season. He's a keeper

Krieder/Hags - still have work to do, but you cant write either off. Speed and they show they can score in a Defensive system. What will they do in a offensive system? Look at PA Parrenteau. He went to teams that play offense and scores goals. On a pace for 40 goals this year

would you trade Krieder for P.A. ? Or do you want to see what Krieds can do in a more offensive system here in NY. If PA came back to Torts system he would suck again..

Brian Boyle - I'm fine with Boyle on the 4th line and his mad PK skills

Rangers core is great imo. Just got to find the right system for them to shine.

And Kudos to Sather or Gorton or whoever turned

Gabby - Dubi - Arty into Nash - Brassard - Moore and Dorsett

That looks like the a steal today. If there were mediocre role players on the Rangers they were Dubinsky and Anisimov....

Our main issues aside from healthy players...

MDZ - isnt cutting his role, and he isnt good enough to step back into a D first role. He is a mediocre D man at best, but he's supposed to be our Mike Green. It ain't working.

Brad Richards isnt playing good hockey. He says he's out of shape, the half season messed him up.... who knows. What if he's right? Probably still have to cut him loose. Its a shame.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I fail to see how a team with a core of Nash, Lundqvist, McDonagh, Staal, Stepan, and Callahan can be considered mediocre. I think the surrounding parts are what need to be fixed. The core is fine.

Aside from the goalie, if that is the core...then it is fine at best. Perhaps one person's fine is another person's mediocre.

This list has some playoff underachievers, an injured player who nobody is sure will return to full strength, and it's already been proven in another thread that Stanley Cup winning teams have not been building from the crease in the cap era.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Buffalo, of which Ruff was a big part, did a good job at building some really good teams. Buffalo was the best team in the NHL in 05', but they ran out of D's against Carolina who basically got a pass against a team that where without 3-5 Ds all series. Ottawa had insane talent, and Buffalo sent them golfing.

The only reason I am not that high on Ruff is that he kind of has felt a little tired lately. Right or wrong, it felt like he let his team become a victim.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
They also both thought Messier would eventually go down the GM route for the Rangers and if that was still the plan, why would Messier throw his hat into the coaching race?

Kypreos said that nothing with the Rangers should be decided until their is an overall organizational plan for the next 5-7 years.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-rang...on-wayne-gretzky-and-mark-messier-as-coaches/

Maybe the plan is for Gorton to become the GM and Messier knows it.

The Rangers need to figure out where they going. Sather will be 70 soon. 70!!! He should't even be making the coaching decision. How many years will he be running things? Its Dolan's fault. Sather can do whatever he wants. Its ridiculous. If Gorton is the guy,let him make the decision.

Francesa said he thinks Sather will have a tough time turning down Messier if he wants the coaching job. How badly does Messier want it? Its going to end badly. The day will come where the Rangers will fire Messier. Bad feelings. More drama.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Nans... the core is ultra solid. This year was decimated by injuries. It happens. Rangers have been fairly lucky

Lundqvist - is perennial Vezina

Staal - McD - Girardi - GMs would knife each other to get these guys on their team, healthy

Callahan - is the real deal. He's never going to pot 50 goals but he is a beast.

Stepan - is progressing just fine. He was just short of PPG in ****ed up half a season. He's a keeper

Krieder/Hags - still have work to do, but you cant write either off. Speed and they show they can score in a Defensive system. What will they do in a offensive system? Look at PA Parrenteau. He went to teams that play offense and scores goals. On a pace for 40 goals this year

would you trade Krieder for P.A. ? Or do you want to see what Krieds can do in a more offensive system here in NY. If PA came back to Torts system he would suck again..

Brian Boyle - I'm fine with Boyle on the 4th line and his mad PK skills

Rangers core is great imo. Just got to find the right system for them to shine.

And Kudos to Sather or Gorton or whoever turned

Gabby - Dubi - Arty into Nash - Brassard - Moore and Dorsett

That looks like the a steal today. If there were mediocre role players on the Rangers they were Dubinsky and Anisimov....

Our main issues aside from healthy players...

MDZ - isnt cutting his role, and he isnt good enough to step back into a D first role. He is a mediocre D man at best, but he's supposed to be our Mike Green. It ain't working.

Brad Richards isnt playing good hockey. He says he's out of shape, the half season messed him up.... who knows. What if he's right? Probably still have to cut him loose. Its a shame.

tell it like it is....

nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad