Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt IV — Rangers get permission to speak to Ruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The problem with making Messier or Gretzky coach of the Rangers is that coaching is a vocation. Dabblers need not apply, unless of course you consider a third-place finish in the 2010 Deutschland Cup and a second-place finish in the 2010 Spengler Cup as relevant coaching experience. Coaching at the NHL level is not something you fall into, or that you give a try because you think you might be as good at it as you were a player. Coaching is a craft that is learned over years of hard work and experimentation. You spend years learning which buttons to push and you pick up intricacies of the game that none but the most trained eye can see. You get a feel for your players and your bench and you learn what it takes to gain an advantage over the opposition during the frenetic pace of a game.

Just because you played the game very, very well and you have a competitive instinct a mile wide doesn’t mean you can coach. It doesn’t mean you can’t coach either, but the stakes are simply far too high at the NHL level to hand the levers of control to someone who has never held them at any level. If Mark Messier wants to become a coach, that’s fantastic. I’m sure there are a lot of teams in the American League or ECHL who would love to have him behind the bench.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...y-no-fit-for-Rangers-as-figurehead-coach.html

Ken Campbell makes sense. For once.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Messier as an assistant to either AV or Rupp makes sense. His legacy is on the line here, and it could be forever tarnished if it's a disaster.

This team is not in the position to take a on a coach without any experience, regardless of his legendary status.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Messier as an assistant to either AV or Rupp makes sense. His legacy is on the line here, and it could be forever tarnished if it's a disaster.

This team is not in the position to take a on a coach without any experience, regardless of his legendary status.

Do you really think Ruff or AV will come here and be okay with the front office immediately interfering in their coaching aspects by assigning them an Assistant? I don't think so.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yep. We can't afford to have a guy learning on the job. Especially when our star goalie is supposedly undecided on his future.

I appreciate Gretz and Mess for what they've accomplished, but accomplishments as a player have no bearing on your credentials as a coach. Especially for Gretzky who was awful in Phoenix.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Considering Messier has no NHL coaching experience, it's hard to say exactly if his preferred style of play or system would fit the personnel. Did he like the way the Rangers played under Tortorella? Did he want them to play more like the teams he once played for and won championships with? What system would he implement?

Would Messier's coaching style fit with the Rangers' current personnel?

"I've never really talked to him about that. He liked our team last year," Clark said. "If you talk to him a lot, he talks a lot about the Oilers days. Our team didn't play like that last year. It was blocking shots. I think he saw it working. He saw it was that group of guys, I don't know if that group of guys could have played the game that maybe he talks about all the time. He thought the team was really good and fun to watch."

In Messier, Clark sees a hockey mind smart enough to adapt his coaching method to the players on his roster.

"He knows enough about the game that you get what you get," Clark said.

One thing Clark is sure of: Messier loved the additions of John Moore and Derick Brassard. He loves Moore's ability to skate and talks often about a player's glide, something Moore has.

"He's really excited about stuff like that," Clark said. "And Brassard, in a couple games, he actually started taking over the games. It's like, 'whoa.' We thought we probably weren't going to get in [the playoffs], if we didn't pull off that trade."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog...-mark-messier-fit-head-coach-new-york-rangers

Messier is stuck in the 1980's. "Everybody Wang Chung tonight". ;)

Who made that trade? Sather was recovering from prostate surgery.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

It makes sense if Vigneault and Ruff want Messier as a part of their coaching staff. A head coach needs to be allowed to pick his staff. If I was a coach, I'm not sure I would want Messier looking over my shoulder.

goalsequalvictory

Apr 28, 2013
Several callers on Francesa pitching Messier, and suprisingly, Francesa is actually on our side with this one, thinks that having the "untouchable one" in the coaches seat, where he's going to get fired eventually, could be a disaster.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
I'-m a MarkMessier fan but being such a great leader his team missed play'-offs his last six seasons he played?So my point is Messier has not much to loose

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Do you really think Ruff or AV will come here and be okay with the front office immediately interfering in their coaching aspects by assigning them an Assistant? I don't think so.

you're right. im merely stating a role that would make sense for Messier... as an assistant.

I want AV. He has the best "recent" track record. I'm not opposed to Rupp as much as i was initially. I think he would do well with a competitive roster.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Head coach: Tippett (brings back mustache)
Assistant: Eakins (works with the PP and conditioning)
Assistant: Playfair (works with defense, especially the young ones, dont know about his contract situation though)

Just say No to Messier. Please God, no God, No. Nooo.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Several callers on Francesa pitching Messier, and suprisingly, Francesa is actually on our side with this one, thinks that having the "untouchable one" in the coaches seat, where he's going to get fired eventually, could be a disaster.

Francessa isn't always an idiot. He does admit he doesn't know much about hockey but he is still logical about it.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Posts like this are what I absolutely love about these boards. Someone trying to sound like a genius, but they wind up sounding ridiculous instead.

Nothing's changed. Its still an unbelievably stupid angle that ESPN has been dangling(katie's employer).

Its all a bunch of manufactured nonsense.

I'm going to make a bold statement(actually it isn't): Mark Messier will not be head coach of the New York Rangers next season.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
If I'm the Rangers I tell my employee Messier to tell the press he isn't interested in the job. Why? Because his interest may keep some candidates away because who wants to interview for a job they think they aren't going to get. It's in the best interest of the team for Messier to publicly withdraw his name.

If the Rangers hire another coach it "saves face" for Messier because he can always say he was never really interested in the job. (even though we all know he wants it)

The Rangers can still hire Messier if they want in a week or two BUT at least they went through an interview process. The Rangers PR machine can paint the picture that Messier was the guy they wanted all along and had to be talked into taking the job for the good of the team. It also would give the Rangers an out if Messier didn't work out "Hey, we interviewed other coaches, we talked Messier into this" It protects Messiers reputation if it doesn't work out and having an interview process appeases the fans. (not the diehards like us who for the most part don't want Messier as coach. I'm talking about the idiots who scream shoot the puck, those fans would love Messier as coach)

Right now Messier being in the running for Coach is a distraction. It's going to end up hurting the process of getting the right guy.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Nothing's changed. Its still an unbelievably stupid angle that ESPN has been dangling(katie's employer).

Its all a bunch of manufactured nonsense.

I'm going to make a bold statement(actually it isn't): Mark Messier will not be head coach of the New York Rangers next season.

The 'angle' she stated was that the Rangers would not overlook Messier. That's all she said, and it turns out she was exactly right. And you're the one who was wrong to criticize her for saying it.

You were wrong, just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad