Speculation: Head Coach Hunt 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think my biggest potential concern with Nelson is the player development side. I haven't heard much about this with him. Is this an area of weakness for him? It seems of the three generally preferred candidates he is the premiere candidate for tactical stuff, and potentially the most exciting style of play, just don't know much about the first point.

I am almost inclined to move Tourigny to the top of my list. Very similar resume to Groulx.

Reactions: YotesFan47

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
He hasn’t got into it too much. I guess you don’t have to when you have won 100 of your last 130 games in a the OHL and are fresh off a 14-0 run in the playoffs. lol.

He did say he likes to “play fast” (which gave me Tocchet PTSD) but then he proceeded to laugh off the idea that someone could call that a philosophy (hilarious unintended ricochet shot on Tocchet - lol). And he said that means nothing in and of itself. And that his true hallmark is hard work. That none of the rest of any of it means anything without the hard work. Basically saying no system will be successful without it and most systems will be at least fairly successful with it.

He did talk vaguely about always pressuring, creating turnovers, and being hard on the forecheck. He talked a lot about the Vegas forecheck. And about how everyone tried to do what they do but only they seem to have such success with it. And why is that. And he talked about how you need to develop players to play that way and you have to hammer that work ethic into them. And most teams can’t do what Vegas does on the forecheck because it’s hard.

So honestly, the way he talks about systems play from a categorical standpoint sounds almost exactly like Tocchet. But when he talks about executing it, he couldn’t be more different. And he actually laughs off the idea of just saying these bullshit truisms like “Play fast. Generate turnovers. Forecheck hard.”
Interesting. He sounds like a dream for this team but he's also going to need to be able to make tough decisions at the NHL level. As it stands, I have more faith in Nelson to do that but I also think we have a lot of players that could use someone like Tourigny. I'm also not trying to say Tourigny is a bad X's and O's coach, just that I know nothing about the systems he employs and how well he is able to pivot and catch teams on their heels, or get ours off our heels. I also have a mild DT PTSD when thinking about some of what he's said. Like a player that's struggling may just need to play through it to understand how to overcome those problems, and not end up benched because he's figuring out the NHL pace. I worry he may be too tough where guys end up having a hard time getting behind him at the NHL level.

I think everything I've read leads me to want Nelson as HC and someone amazing at development as an AC but that's due a lot to how I believe we need to build the team this summer. BA could be in a completely different head space and that changes who he would want as his prime candidate.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Man, where do you find time to do all this research, work and have family time? Martin would be an excellent hire and help stabilize our coaching and help calm the nerves and offer suggestions for our new inexperienced HC at time during the year when he is being outcoached. Martin has seen and done it all.
There were 23 minutes between my two posts. I didn’t have the idea to check immediately either. So I’d say that was around 15 minutes of effort. My kids are asleep at 8:30. So this particular post was made while I was ignoring the “Americans” re-runs my wife has been watching before our bedtime since our trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago. I went to NHL.com, TheAHL.com, and HockeyDB.com to verify all of that. It’s all right there. I did it on my phone. With a glass of bourbon balanced on my chest.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
There were 23 minutes between my two posts. I didn’t have the idea to check immediately either. So I’d say that was around 15 minutes of effort. My kids are asleep at 8:30. So this particular post was made while I was ignoring the “Americans” re-runs my wife has been watching before our bedtime since our trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago. I went to NHL.com, TheAHL.com, and HockeyDB.com to verify all of that. It’s all right there. I did it on my phone. With a glass of bourbon balanced on my chest.

This is why I wish that we all could’ve gotten together for drinks. Imagine us all together in a room drinking and talking about hockey. I think I’m the only person that cares about sports in my circle

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I think my biggest potential concern with Nelson is the player development side. I haven't heard much about this with him. Is this an area of weakness for him? It seems of the three generally preferred candidates he is the premiere candidate for tactical stuff, and potentially the most exciting style of play, just don't know much about the first point.

I am almost inclined to move Tourigny to the top of my list. Very similar resume to Groulx.
You know what Tippet said, "The NHL is not a development league".;)

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This is why I wish that we all could’ve gotten together for drinks. Imagine us all together in a room drinking and talking about hockey. I think I’m the only person that cares about sports in my circle
I'm always happy to sit around with drinks and talk hockey. I don't have friends that like hockey anymore so the only talk I get is with you guys and gals. I no longer live in Arizona but when I go back to visit family or for work, I can let you guys know and anyone who wants to join me can.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

tenor.gif

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It was self defense.
I honestly find myself worrying about your family life, as you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time here. It’s not that some of your work is unappreciated, it’s just a bit overwhelming…. even from this end.
So glad to read you’re a whiz kid!

Reactions: Jakey53

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I honestly find myself worrying about your family life, as you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time here. It’s not that some of your work is unappreciated, it’s just a bit overwhelming…. even from this end.
:popcorn: I'll just be over here stirring some pots and waiting on RT's response.

He probably spends as much time as I do looking at and reading about hockey, he just posts it or doesn't have his iphone refresh and delete the 4 paragraphs he wrote, then get pissed that he has an iphone that doesn't know how chrome works (I know this is backwards logic but I like google more than apple) so he concedes defeat to technology. The iphone thing is a huge reason why I have 1/4th the posts I have, which may be a blessing for F40. Not everything I write is intelligent or conscious of others feelings.

I also spend time with my family and work full time. I do lack friends that I can go out with, all my friends are now 100% located in different states and my employer is in Chandler so I can't partake in office events. I also quit playing video games ~4 months ago so I have a lot more free time and no place to put it.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
i have to also say, rt helps me formulate a lot of my opinions on hockey. I appreciate his insights. I get a kick out of some of the arguments that happen here and the fact that no one holds any grudges afterward. When I first joined I took some things to personal but now, years latter. I have grown up a bit.:) rt has been an example in this regard as well.
I played hockey and grew up watching it from my crib and yet I am not ashamed to say rt is much more knowledgeable then myself on NHL things. So keep posting buddy.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
I have worried about RT too. That being said, we would feel the loss if he decided to lessen his activity on this forum.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This forum is great and everyone’s insight is appreciated. I just hope none of us loose sight of what’s really important.

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I am planning on getting down to AZ at some point this year to see a game or two.

Reactions: Grimes and RABBIT

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

There’s a lot I need to work on. A lot I could do better. But there are some things I feel good about a lot of the time.

Would you believe I’m active in church (serving in 1-2 services per week that I don’t attend, as well as being involved in the ministry for foster children - I’ll miss the whole week of the draft this year as a result, actually).

I’m also in the last course of a degree program at GCU. Well, I do have a capstone project after but then I’m done. That will be a relief.

Before summer vacation, I walked my son to class at his kindergarten every morning and I am the one in charge of story time at bedtime. We eat dinner at the table together nightly. Though, I do travel a bit for work. Don’t worry, I pack the books and do bedtime stories over FaceTime from my hotel room.

We have lunch with my wife’s family every Saturday and my family every Sunday. She serves in the children’s ministry. My kids are asleep now and she’s at church. I just got an 88% on my quiz and I’m taking a break before I fix the downstairs guest bathroom toilet (I need to replace the fill valve).

Even with being a hockey fan, I do still have to find time to close deals, collect checks, and get praised by my employer. These aren’t big checks, mind you, but sufficient enough that I can have the great fortune to own a home (though I still owe the bank a third of what it’s worth and when the market crashes it’ll be half-lol) with my lovely wife and our two lovely children.

I don’t golf. I don’t fish. I don’t do social media. I don’t watch tv. This is my hobby. This and audible (I have 920 hours and 3 minutes listened) but that I do while exercising (not very intensely-I’ve got extreme dad bod) or driving to the office, or traveling for business, or mowing the lawn, or grilling dinner, or doing dishes, or having a cigar late at night. I also don’t sleep enough.

I’m happy with what I have. I’m very blessed. I need to give back more. And like all of us, I’m imperfect and weak and there are a million things I could be doing better. I like to think I try. Not as hard as a should but I’m working on it. More lately than in the past but I’m far from where I hope to be.

There are multiple users on this forum that know me personally. So this time killer hasn’t been all in vein.

So if you’re worried about me and worried about my family, I appreciate it. I appreciate your thoughts and your worries. God knows I need people to think of me and be worried about me. I wouldn’t have all that I have if that weren’t the case. So I thank you! If you want me to be a stronger, more focused, harder working man than we have that in common. It’s nice that we’ve finally found something to agree on.

And I hope you feel at least as content in your life as I do and i hope that you are at least as lucky as I am.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
There’s a lot I need to work on. A lot I could do better. But there are some things I feel good about a lot of the time.

Would you believe I’m active in church (serving in 1-2 services per week that I don’t attend, as well as being involved in the ministry for foster children - I’ll miss the whole week of the draft this year as a result, actually).

I’m also in the last course of a degree program at GCU. Well, I do have a capstone project after but then I’m done. That will be a relief.

Before summer vacation, I walked my son to class at his kindergarten every morning and I am the one in charge of story time at bedtime. We eat dinner at the table together nightly. Though, I do travel a bit for work. Don’t worry, I pack the books and do bedtime stories over FaceTime from my hotel room.

We have lunch with my wife’s family every Saturday and my family every Sunday. She serves in the children’s ministry. My kids are asleep now and she’s at church. I just got an 88% on my quiz and I’m taking a break before I fix the downstairs guest bathroom toilet (I need to replace the fill valve).

Even with being a hockey fan, I do still have to find time to close deals, collect checks, and get praised by my employer. These aren’t big checks, mind you, but sufficient enough that I can have the great fortune to own a home (though I still owe the bank a third of what it’s worth and when the market crashes it’ll be half-lol) with my lovely wife and our two lovely children.

I don’t golf. I don’t fish. I don’t do social media. I don’t watch tv. This is my hobby. This and audible (I have 920 hours and 3 minutes listened) but that I do while exercising (not very intensely-I’ve got extreme dad bod) or driving to the office, or traveling for business, or mowing the lawn, or grilling dinner, or doing dishes, or having a cigar late at night. I also don’t sleep enough.

I’m happy with what I have. I’m very blessed. I need to give back more. And like all of us, I’m imperfect and weak and there are a million things I could be doing better. I like to think I try. Not as hard as a should but I’m working on it. More lately than in the past but I’m far from where I hope to be.

There are multiple users on this forum that know me personally. So this time killer hasn’t been all in vein.

So if you’re worried about me and worried about my family, I appreciate it. I appreciate your thoughts and your worries. God knows I need people to think of me and be worried about me. I wouldn’t have all that I have if that weren’t the case. So I thank you! If you want me to be a stronger, more focused, harder working man than we have that in common. It’s nice that we’ve finally found something to agree on.

And I hope you feel at least as content in your life as I do and i hope that you are at least as lucky as I am.
That’s actually wonderful news and frankly quite impressive! I sincerely hope you didn’t take my post the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad