Speculation: Head Coach Hunt 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just hearing the depth and breadth of experience Tourigny has had in coaching and even management is incredible when compared to why Tocchet had when we hired him. And Tourigny is younger now than Tocchet was then.

All those Stanley Cup rings Tocchet has speak pretty loudly. But hearing Tourigny talk about scratching and clawing his way from the absolute bottom to his currently extremely lofty position (the most highly regarded coach in the entire CHL and Team Canada’s chosen Mr. Everything for the WJC the WC and the OG), is damned impressive.

He never had “a name” or any “connections”. Nobody ever had a reason to give him anything before he earned it. It’s refreshing after what we just went through with Tocchet.

rt

May 13, 2004
Tourigny “There is no team in the world I can coach, without it being a hardworking team. Because when I’m the coach and they don’t work it will drive me crazy. I won’t play you. I don’t care how good you are. You cheat yourself and your team. That is who The Bear is.”

His nickname is “Big Bear” because he’s huge and ferocious.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Tourigny “There is no team in the world I can coach, without it being a hardworking team. Because when I’m the coach and they don’t work it will drive me crazy. I won’t play you.
He seems to speak the same language as BA. As far as age goes, many think of RT as a young coach when he was actually the 6th oldest coach in the NHL last season.

rt

May 13, 2004
He seems to speak the same language as BA. As far as age goes, many think of RT as a young coach when he was actually the 6th oldest coach in the NHL last season.
This article talks a lot about Tourigny’s famously insane work ethic:
Andre Tourigny's lifetime of labour shines as Canada's world junior coach
It made me think of BA immediately.

EDIT: Later today when I have some time, I’ll copy-paste some snippets from that article as it’s paywalled. I really wish the athletic would make their archives free. Lol. Nobody is gonna pay for two year old content.

Reactions: Kaizen

rt

May 13, 2004
Just doing quotes only, so as not to steal content:

“A day off for Andre is like a regular workday for most people,” said 67’s general manager James Boyd. “That’s just the way he’s wired. He’s a workhorse.”

“You’d go early in the next morning and he would be there,” said Desbiens, a former NHLer who now coaches at St. Louis Park HS in Minnesota. “And we’d ask, ‘Did you actually sleep in your office?’ He was very, very committed. The amount of hours he would put in at the office was incredible.”

“Andre gave him a look. If looks could kill that guy was dead in a second.”
Spott, now an assistant coach with the Vegas Golden Knights, laughs when recalling the story.

“That was not a look you wanted from the Big Bear. Oh, he was hot under the collar.”

“He’s like a big bear. He’s hard and soft at the same time. He has that perfect mix. You feel good around him because you know he cares about you.”

“I don’t get mad at the person,” he said. “I might get mad at the player if the expectations are not met. But the person is totally different.”

“I have always felt for my players and tried to get the best out of them. To do what’s best for them,” said Tourigny.

“I love my players and I will do whatever it takes for them.”

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I thought it was kinda funny how in one of the interviews Tourigny used Kessel as an example of a player who is a little more of a challenge to work with. Not in a bad way, you just have to have a different approach. He also mentioned how everyone has to play by the same rules. No exceptions (like playing through injury even though you're a liability to keep a GP streak alive).

Now, all of that was said before his name started circulating for the AZ job, but kind of funny nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Those quotes scream a guy that BA is probably all over. I didn’t think much of tourigny before, not sure why. Maybe I was just more enamored with Nelson and Groulx’s resumes.

Literally any of the three would be a success here in just getting the coyotes to play like an NHL team again and less like a country club

Reactions: YotesFan47

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
After listening to some podcasts and articles I feel like these are the pros and cons of the top four.
Nelson:
PROS: tactically forward thinking, offensive focused mindset, has NHL head coaching experience and a great resume as a bench boss. Reminds me the most of Boudreau, in a good way
CONS: seems like he let's the x's and o's do the talking, hard to gauge if he is a true motivator or how he values work ethic over skill (man would he have been perfect four years ago). difficult to understand if he is prone to develop players or prefers guys who understand the speed of game already to execute his system. I haven't heard as much on player feedback as the other guys

Grouxl
PROS:
feels like everything we like in MVR but with more head coaching experience. Seems like a developer and motivator first and foremost. Knows what it takes to develop a franchise from the bottom up. Players seem to love him. Plandowski connections. Has success in turning NHL caliber players from later picks.
CONS: Lacks NHL experience. How much of his success is from a top tier organization vs his coaching style? I have a hard time gauging if he leans offensively or defensively in coaching styles. (Honestly I'm struggling to find many cons haha)

Tourigny
PROS
: Seems like the ultimate motivator. Extremely hardworking, much like BA. Philosophically seems very inline with BA. Has coached with success at so many different levels. Feels like a defensive first type coach. Seems to hold players accountable both on and off ice. Feels like the quickest way to have a culture change.
CONS: Hard to judge if his coaching style wears out on players. Feels a little more reliant on getting players who play his style of game (shades of Tocchet there) than Grouxl. FEELS the least forward thinking of the three, but I could be way off here. Does a defense first coach fit with our current roster build?

Lambert:
PROS: Has been Trotz's AC for seemingly ever.
CONS: Seemingly has only been Trotz's AC.

Feel free to copy/paste this post and add to it or correct me if you feel I'm off on some of my gut feelings. This is mostly me scribbling down some thoughts.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
After listening to some podcasts and articles I feel like these are the pros and cons of the top four.
Nelson:
PROS: tactically forward thinking, offensive focused mindset, has NHL head coaching experience and a great resume as a bench boss. Reminds me the most of Boudreau, in a good way
CONS: seems like he let's the x's and o's do the talking, hard to gauge if he is a true motivator or how he values work ethic over skill (man would he have been perfect four years ago). difficult to understand if he is prone to develop players or prefers guys who understand the speed of game already to execute his system. I haven't heard as much on player feedback as the other guys

Grouxl
PROS:
feels like everything we like in MVR but with more head coaching experience. Seems like a developer and motivator first and foremost. Knows what it takes to develop a franchise from the bottom up. Players seem to love him. Plandowski connections. Has success in turning NHL caliber players from later picks.
CONS: Lacks NHL experience. How much of his success is from a top tier organization vs his coaching style? I have a hard time gauging if he leans offensively or defensively in coaching styles. (Honestly I'm struggling to find many cons haha)

Tourigny
PROS
: Seems like the ultimate motivator. Extremely hardworking, much like BA. Philosophically seems very inline with BA. Has coached with success at so many different levels. Feels like a defensive first type coach. Seems to hold players accountable both on and off ice. Feels like the quickest way to have a culture change.
CONS: Hard to judge if his coaching style wears out on players. Feels a little more reliant on getting players who play his style of game (shades of Tocchet there) than Grouxl. FEELS the least forward thinking of the three, but I could be way off here. Does a defense first coach fit with our current roster build?

Lambert:

Feel free to copy/paste this post and add to it or correct me if you feel I'm off on some of my gut feelings. This is mostly me scribbling down some thoughts.
I strongly disagree with your thoughts on Lambert.

rt

May 13, 2004
Interesting tidbits on Tourigny:

Has been QMJHL coach of the year twice and OHL coach of the year twice and CHL coach of the year once. In 14 years as a CHL head coach, he’s missed the playoffs only once. In his last 130 games coaching the Ottawa 67s he’s won 100 of those games. 100 wins, 30 losses. The last time his team was in the playoffs (f*** COVID) he set a record with 14 straight wins to begin the playoffs.

Team Canada noticed his success.

He’s been the head coach for Team Canada at the U18s, an associate coach at the U20s, has been named head coach for the next U20s, has been an associate coach at the Men’s World Championships and has been named an associate coach for the next Olympic Games.

He has three seasons as an NHL assistant coach under his belt, as well. Coached guys like Iginla, Stone, Karlsson, O’Reilly, MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Barrie, Ryan, Duchene, Landeskog, Stastny, etc.

He’s 47 years old.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
Todd Nelson has never missed the playoffs in a season where he started the year as HC. He won two UHL championships as HC, and one AHL championship.

He’s 10/10 on playoffs with 3 championships, 2 third round losses, 2 second round losses and 3 first round losses.

So 7 times in his 10 full seasons as a head coach, he’s won at least one playoff round. That means he’s won 18 playoff rounds as a head coach in 10 seasons. 18 rounds in 10 years is f***ing bonkers. These are all professional leagues. No amateur.

He’s got 5 years of NHL AC experience and 1/2 of a year as NHL HC.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tourigny likely would have won the OHL playoffs as well had Michael DiPietro not have gotten injured.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It needs to be Nelson. You guys are dead wrong in thinking the boys need a motivator. They didn’t make the show by lacking motivation.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
Nelson:

Grouxl
PROS:

Tourigny
PROS

Lambert:

Todd Nelson
I see Nelson as the most creative, outside-the-box on the Xs and Os of the three. Many of the quotes you'll find from players and management have less to do with his interpersonal, motivational, and development strengths and more to do with his on-ice philosophies and strategies and adjustments. I think he's the most mellow, player's coach of the three. I don't see him as the cage rattler and more of teacher than a motivator.

I've read a bunch of articles on Nelson and they all focus on his tactical strengths and team execution in games. The interpersonal stuff seems much more surface-level, and all about "trust" and "communication", etc. The team environment when in reference to Nelson seems to be all about the open exchange of ideas.

It seems he's really appreciated by cerebral players who want tactical input. They seem to talk about what they were able to accomplish with regard to team results, and wins and tactical development. I've seen a lot less about the nitty, gritty personal stuff with him. Less about personal involvement with players, families, etc. However, this may have a lot to do with him only having pro experience. The other guys have a ton of amateur experience working with kids. Nelson has coach pros the whole time.

Benoit Groulx
I see Groulx as the hard-ass of the three. Even Tourigny said "I've never been as hard as Ben". So many of the Groulx quotes are about accountability and shaping and developing players. Less about his systems and tactics in games and more about molding and improving the players he coaches. And how he does it his way. He seems more the stubborn one and the tough one. And it seems the right kind of player recognizes that they needed it and it made them better. He seemed to rub people the wrong way in Rochester and that didn't work out well. But he's been a smash hit in Syracuse. So maybe he changed and adapted. Maybe he had too many bad apples in Rochester. Who knows?

I wonder how tough an NHL coach can be. I'm not sure it works that well on millionaires. Especially if you aren't a proven, household brand-name like Torts. He gets called a hockey genius an awful lot (BriseBois, Tourigny, former Syracuse players). But he seems really focused on team-identity, and player mindset rather than in-game tactics. At least that's what he talks about in interviews. Identity and mindset and accountability.

Players talk about him making them better all-around players, harder workers, more committed athletes, and about how he motivated them to work hard and round out their games and habits and become solid pros.

Some of the hard-ass stuff may be left over from earlier in his career. He talks more about evolving (being less tough) and focusing more on personal connections with players.

Andre Touringy
Tourigny doesn't talk much about X's and O's at all. He seems to be a mastermind of interpersonal skills. He seems to focus his energy and passion on motivation and development and getting the most out of his guys. He seems obsessive about self-improvement, and he seems to measure his success in the improvement he sees in his players. I almost get the impression that he sees winning hockey games as a byproduct of improving players.

I think he's probably the middle-ground in the Groulx to Nelson continuum of tough coach to player's coach. He just wants to get his guys obsessing about working harder at getting better like he is. And it feels like what comes next is just a natural and obvious increase in individual and team success. It does seem to work. He's had an unbelievable amount of success.

Tourigny seems like he's super hands on. He's going to know every player inside and out. He's going to have his arms around you and be pushing or pulling always. Like Nelson sees everything out on the ice and Tourigny sees everything inside the player.

Where Nelson might see winning games as developing players, or players develop by doing the things that win, I think Tourigny sees developing players as winning games, and their improvement leads to wins. I see Tourigny as more similar to Groulx and Groulx more similar to Tourigny. I see Nelson as the most different of the three. I also see Nelson as maybe more typical of an NHL HC. Where as Tourigny might have the biggest presence. And that aura of a big-time NHL HC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad