Head Coach 2, When a Coach Comes Along You Must Tippett

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really liked his analytics answer though, not so much because he said he used them, but because of the example where he changed his mind on a player...shows he might not be so stuck on and stubborn about players as a variety of coaches in the past

I agree. I am thrilled to hear that analytics will be a valued tool and that example was a really good illustration on how dinosaur hockey simply doesnt work anymore.

So Tippett is a strong communicator that values analytics. I like it.

Reactions: North

North

Jun 25, 2009
The Coyotes were not that bad a roster outside thier top line. Thier bottom 2 lines would wipe the floor with our trash.

The Coyotes lacking star talent doesnt really equate to them having a terrible roster. Stop trying to point to the insinuation that the Yotes had a terrible roster to validate a point.

What you really need to look at is the makeup of those Yotes team. The were deep with NHL calibre players who worked thier tails off.

Also if you look at Tippets last 3 years with the Yotes. What did he really get out of that team ? They were terrible with some terrible regular seasons.

Your only as good as your roster. Tippet isnt going to magically transform low IQ low talent garbage into a winning product.

Holland will if he makes the right moves.

The Coyotes roster was awful.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
xdbXoNV.gif

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree. I am thrilled to hear that analytics will be a valued tool and that example was a really good illustration on how dinosaur hockey simply doesnt work anymore.

So Tippett is a strong communicator that values analytics. I like it.
Yep. He also isn't set in a certain way and can change his mind. If he likes a player and they suck, he isn't afraid to put them where they need to be

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yep. He also isn't set in a certain way and can change his mind. If he likes a player and they suck, he isn't afraid to put them where they need to be

For sure. One of the reasons I wanted the team to hire Tippett was because he understood the importance of structure and clearly defining roles for players. I saw so many times last season where it looked to me like the player simply didnt understand what his role was.
I think its important to determine if a player understands his role and if he has the capacity to fulfill the role before you trade him away. Sometimes a player isnt being utilized properly...you trade him...and the next team puts the player in a position to succeed. So the issue wasnt the player but that the player was expected to perform beyond his ability.

That IMO has been the issue with the defence for years now. The GM never really solves the issue and forces the coach to use dmen in situations in which they will never succeed.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I just dont think it was that obvious.
Trying to squeeze the most out of a flawed roster with immature leadership is not easy.
The biggest issue I saw with TMac's coaching (from a distance) was stubbornness.

I agree. Well, that, and his obsession with dump-in entries, but that goes back to the stubbornness anyways. I still like how he got the team to play more than Hitch did, other than maybe 3 or 4 games where they caught lightning in a bottle briefly. And Todd had more to do - he had to take this mess and get them to play much more structured, especially in the D Zone. I don't hold Todd any ill will and wish him the best. Chiarelli is IMO the one who completely dropped the ball.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree. Well, that, and his obsession with dump-in entries, but that goes back to the stubbornness anyways. I still like how he got the team to play more than Hitch did, other than maybe 3 or 4 games where they caught lightning in a bottle briefly. And Todd had more to do - he had to take this mess and get them to play much more structured, especially in the D Zone. I don't hold Todd any ill will and wish him the best. Chiarelli is IMO the one who completely dropped the ball.

For sure.
I guess the best part of this is that we can now look at all that mess in the rear view mirror. :nod:

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
One of the most encouraging things for me is that we have 2 strong communicators in Holland and Tippett.

Looking back....Chiarelli was not a strong communicator.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Coyotes roster was awful.

They had 107 points one year with Matthew Lombardi at 53 points as their second best forward, lol.

Not sure if that translates here, but he did for a few years at least get a helluva lot out of not much.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The other interesting thing is, Mike Smith was only the goalie in Phoenix for 1 of the 3 years Tippet made the playoffs there.

Ilya Bryzgalov was actually the no.1 2/3 years they made it, with Jason LaBarbera as the no.2.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They had 107 points one year with Matthew Lombardi at 53 points as their second best forward, lol.

Not sure if that translates here, but he did for a few years at least get a helluva lot out of not much.
I personally suspect he can do a lot things with more talent at his disposal, I also expect McDavid and Draisaitl to be the head and shoulders leader in icetime for this team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Wasn't that the strategy McLellan used?
Yes, but when you're best players are just the best, use the crap out of them. The team is always better when one or both are on the ice, right?

Edit: Getting a lot of McDavid and Draisailt won't be the measure of Tippett's success, getting more out of the rest of the roster to have a more overall competitive team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ideally you split them up and have McD, Drai, and RNH running their own lines.

...Unfortunately the circumstances are what they are.
I'm not even suggesting it has to be together, I'm suggesting giving them plenty of icetime because the team is better with one or both on the ice.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH's 2nd line is actually the most pressing need. If they cannot get a 2nd scoring line then they're not going anywhere.

Need to get RNH a winger that can push a good deal of offence on the board.

McDavid-Draisaitl is a non-issue, that's the best line in hockey and you can slap any third wheel on it.

The Oilers go as far as that 2nd line will take them.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know, I'm just saying if the roster was better we could have three good lines and only use the 4th for PKing and maybe late in blowouts.
Or as a momentum change, and I agree. Though there's something to be said for how much McDavid and Draisaitl can just dominate an opponent.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Or as a momentum change, and I agree. Though there's something to be said for how much McDavid and Draisaitl can just dominate an opponent.
Right, we know they can. But it's hard not to put them together because of how weak the wings are. I've said it many times. The only times they should be out together are on PPs, 4-on-4, OT, and when the goalie is pulled.

And even 4-on-4 you can mix it up a bit.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Right, we know they can. But it's hard not to put them together because of how weak the wings are. I've said it many times. The only times they should be out together are on PPs, 4-on-4, OT, and when the goalie is pulled.

I can agree with this, but yes, improve those wingers as soon as possible

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

It makes zero sense to not have them together.

RNH puts up similar numbers as Draisaitl centering the 2nd line, yet Draisaitl and McDavid put up vastly superior numbers to McDavid and RNH.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It makes zero sense to not have them together.

RNH puts up similar numbers as Draisaitl centering the 2nd line, yet Draisaitl and McDavid put up vastly superior numbers to McDavid and RNH.
Unless of course the roster is complete trash with no depth past line 1. You shut down the first line you win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad