Head Coach 2, When a Coach Comes Along You Must Tippett

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He can only do so much in that regard, the only seasons the Coyotes were good were when Mike Smith was at the top of his game. Once he regressed to an average goalie, the Coyotes went back to very mediocre seasons. Not saying Tippett didn't have a part to play with the Coyotes success despite roster deficiencies, but just look at the records and Smith's stats and it's clear the biggest person who had a part to play in that was Mike Smith.

It goes without saying but the Oilers are in the shits if Kosko is below average. With Tippett in charge that's especially true now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Oh for geez sake, Connor will get 15 goals under Tippets system. Please no.

I honestly see McDavid/Drai combining for 250 points under a Dallas Eakins type coach.
Do you think Tippet will play McDavid in goal? That's the only way I could see a coach hurting his game.

People bitched about how Hitchcock was going to negatively affect Connor and Leon last year and Leon had a career year and McDavid came close to having one himself. This team desperately needs some one to come in and be able to instill a defensive system for the rest of the team.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
according to Stauffer, TMac loathed the Spooner trade
and wanted to send Bouchard back to junior earlier

These kind of comments paint Tmac in a much better light. I still think hes an average coach but its really obvious that Tmac and Chiarelli were never on the same page. Chiarelli gave him a really flawed roster.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
I'm most excited that Holland was able to sign him to that contract. Especially compared to how much Krueger and McLellan signed for recently.

Bodes well for his ability to sign players for reasonable money going forward IMO.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Tippett wants to talk to the current assistants to see where they're at first before reaching out to other assistants. Said he has relationships with all three.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Holland said he's a big guy on "experience", whether it's players or coaching and wanted stability and experience behind the bench.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Tippett said he was never going to Seattle to GM or coach, but to design and build.

He said he's always been a builder. Fun fact he mentioned: he had a construction company where he bought and renovated houses in the off season in Connecticut when he played with the Whale. Said he builds motorcycles now.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Saying the right things for now...but then again, I still remember how starstruck we were at Eakins' conference.

The proof will be in the standings next year.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Tippett says he's a big analytics guy, also mentions that him and Holland agree they need to add scoring depth this offseason.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
Smith had 1 spectacular year in Phoenix where he was a .930 goalie but the other years he was in the same .911-.916 range.

Ah thanks, I stand corrected. Do think Koskinen or any other addition to goaltending needs to get in that 'average' range too though for any changes Tippett does to make a difference.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
Saying the right things for now...but then again, I still remember how starstruck we were at Eakins' conference.

The proof will be in the standings next year.

Really liked his analytics answer though, not so much because he said he used them, but because of the example where he changed his mind on a player...shows he might not be so stuck on and stubborn about players as a variety of coaches in the past

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I like how you ignore how ****ty the Coyotes roster was.

The Coyotes were not that bad a roster outside thier top line. Thier bottom 2 lines would wipe the floor with our trash.

The Coyotes lacking star talent doesnt really equate to them having a terrible roster. Stop trying to point to the insinuation that the Yotes had a terrible roster to validate a point.

What you really need to look at is the makeup of those Yotes team. The were deep with NHL calibre players who worked thier tails off.

Also if you look at Tippets last 3 years with the Yotes. What did he really get out of that team ? They were terrible with some terrible regular seasons.

Your only as good as your roster. Tippet isnt going to magically transform low IQ low talent garbage into a winning product.

Holland will if he makes the right moves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad