" He got us here"

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Lol the nerve of some posters here lol haven't you watched the first 3 rounds of Vegas??? MAF was playing at a legendary level it's safe to say if one of Vegas backups was playing Vegas would be ousted first round!!! You can legitimately say MAF is the biggest reason why Vegas is in the finals and on the flip side he's also the reason they down in the series lol

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Apparently he is also expected to score goals.

I expect this thread to shut down in 3 2 1...

Almost 7000 posts here and you don't realize that going down 2-0 or 3-0 allows the opponent to play conservatively and make it substantially more difficult to score goals?

"He can't score goals" is just as bad an excuse as the one the OP mentioned.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Lol the nerve of some posters here lol haven't you watched the first 3 rounds of Vegas??? MAF was playing at a legendary level it's safe to say if one of Vegas backups was playing Vegas would be ousted first round!!! You can legitimately say MAF is the biggest reason why Vegas is in the finals and on the flip side he's also the reason they down in the series lol

No. Vegas walked all over LA in the first round. It was a massacre with Quick making the scores flatter LA.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The thread is "He got us here".
Before that it was "Has the clock struck midnight"
Or the "West is Weak"
All this gloom and doom for a first year expansion team.
Also get a kick out of the wishy washy stuff.
Like when the team was overachieving "Was the expansion draft rigged"?

If you can't have a little fun and sarcasm with this than what's the point?
Vegas continues to make history win or lose.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
How often do you hear athletes and/or fans say this about a guy who gets criticized in a big moment? Am I the only one that hates this logic?

Let's look at Fleury here: Great in the first three rounds. Bad in the Finals. Who cares how well you played up to this point? The goal is to win sixteen games for a cup, not thirteen. This is like me putting up great sales numbers for three weeks, completely bombing in the last week, and the overall company numbers go down.
SMH.

Your sales analogy is stupid. If you came in 2nd place because of your first three weeks you did well.

Fail. Epic fail.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Vegas doesn't sniff the Finals without Fleury and his .960sv%

Truth. Washington has been able to expose their D like nobody else. Seems like every goal is a backdoor one-timer or breakaway.

FWIW, Johan Hedberg's scouting report for the Sharks (he's their goalie coach and scouts opposing goalies) was that their best chance at beating Fleury was to exploit their weak D.

For more perspective, Vegas's #1 dman was a career #6/#7 guy for the Capitals.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Almost 7000 posts here and you don't realize that going down 2-0 or 3-0 allows the opponent to play conservatively and make it substantially more difficult to score goals?

"He can't score goals" is just as bad an excuse as the one the OP mentioned.
The score was 0-0 when Neal missed an open net and when the Knights hits two posts. I'll spell it out for you again: when skaters keep missing golden chances like that and the defense keeps blowing defensive coverages like that, it's not just the goalie that lost the game. You lose as a team and win as a team.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Fleury choked these capitials out of the playoffs last year... sometimes you get the bear sometimes the bear gets you...

people are idiotic on goalie expectations in this day and age... against really talented offensive guys allowed to play hockey and not get mugged goales don't maintain 920+ save percentages.. they often can barely break 900.... people are spoiled by the systems in this day and age... when a team is offensively gifted enough to exploit that then good goalies look like crap.. see bobrovsky, holtby, lundqvist.. and a ton of other guys who sometimes are great and sometimes are beat badly

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
where were all these fleury fan's when he was in pittsburgh LMAO??

when he was a pen, all i heard was how shitty he was and only a product of the pens but now on the knights apparently he is immune to criticism. this is jokes. He has sucked in the finals. would they have won if he played better? who knows. but the fact remains he has been terrible.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Agree with you 100% - thats horrible logic... Fleury is and will always be a choker. It's just a fact.

Some players play well in the big games. Fleury does not

I'd actually say that the Crosby/Malkin may have 1-2 more cups if it wasn't for Fleury's continual meltdowns. Pens should have jettisoned him a long time ago

1-2 cups when?

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
where were all these fleury fan's when he was in pittsburgh LMAO??

when he was a pen, all i heard was how ****ty he was and only a product of the pens but now on the knights apparently he is immune to criticism. this is jokes. He has sucked in the finals. would they have won if he played better? who knows. but the fact remains he has been terrible.
"Immune to criticism"?? Holy hyperbole, Batman!

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think it's more on the Caps realizing they're on the verge of doing something they've been wanting to do for yrs. more than anything else. Fleury's had a good run but I think the Caps just want it more.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Apparently he is also expected to score goals.

I expect this thread to shut down in 3 2 1...
Never underestimate the longevity of hate-on-a-player thread, especially when that player has a connection to the Penguins, and also despite how many other exact same threads there already are.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Fleury is and will always be a trash playoff performer.
Who just boosted them through 3 rounds?

It used to be that ovechkin was a choker because he could get the caps past round 2. Now all It takes is failure to get a team through all 4?

He's been clutch all year and all playoffs.

If you only look at the last round anyone plays, you're going to be labelling nearly the entire league as a choker. Because everyone has to lose eventually, other than one team.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
11-12 they should have at least made the conference final but lost in the first round with an .834 save% from fleury
Yep. 'Cause Fleury was the only "headcase" on the team that year... :help:

letang.gif

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Yep. 'Cause Fleury was the only "headcase" on the team that year... :help:

letang.gif

when did i say that? of course a multitude of things determine the outcome series but if fleury was even average that series the pens win. you're re-writing history. Bryz had an .889 save% that series and was the better goalie. How insane is that? Average play from fleury and the pens walk all over the flyers.

That was easily the best pens team since their first cup in 09. Staal had 9 points in those 6 games. Crosby and malkin had 8. and the pens had 5 other players with at least 6 points.

im sorry if fleury is your favorite player but this is the truth.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
when did i say that? of course a multitude of things determine the outcome series but if fleury was even average that series the pens win. you're re-writing history. Bryz had an .889 save% that series and was the better goalie. How insane is that? Average play from fleury and the pens walk all over the flyers.

That was easily the best pens team since their first cup in 09. Staal had 9 points in those 6 games. Crosby and malkin had 8. and the pens had 5 other players with at least 6 points.

im sorry if fleury is your favorite player but this is the truth.
Save the snark. Fleury isn't my favorite player har har.

And I'm rewriting history? You are blatantly omitting history by ignoring what the 5 other players are doing on the ice before the puck goes in the net. Hint: in 2012, they were too busy trying to play like goons instead of playing hockey.

nealhit_medium.gif

adams2_medium.gif

9SxWX_medium.gif

6a0120a6dde087970b0163043ba3b7970d-pi

Animation2.gif

The environment of the Pens in that period was toxic. The lineup was horrible. I would be astonished if people that say stuff like "Crosby and Malkin would have at least 2 more cups if not for Fleury" could tell me the rest of the Pens' lineup at that time and explain to me how it made any sense. How those teams had any synergy. How having Crosby and Malkin, the most skilled players in the world, playing with a lineup full of Ashams, Cookes, Orpiks, Tanner Glasses, Steve Downies, Doug Murrays, and the list goes on and on. Truly an endless amount of talentless players have cycled through this organization that people love to omit from our history.

For us to start winning playoff games again, Rutherford had to gut that roster, getting rid of all but handful of players. And thank God he did.

But yes, everyone pile on Fleury because it's the easy thing to do.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
How often do you hear athletes and/or fans say this about a guy who gets criticized in a big moment? Am I the only one that hates this logic?

Let's look at Fleury here: Great in the first three rounds. Bad in the Finals. Who cares how well you played up to this point? The goal is to win sixteen games for a cup, not thirteen. This is like me putting up great sales numbers for three weeks, completely bombing in the last week, and the overall company numbers go down.
They don't win the San Jose series if he didn't play the way he did.

Obviously the goal is to win 16, but he's the main reason they are where they are.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Save the snark. Fleury isn't my favorite player har har.

And I'm rewriting history? You are blatantly omitting history by ignoring what the 5 other players are doing on the ice before the puck goes in the net. Hint: in 2012, they were too busy trying to play like goons instead of playing hockey.

nealhit_medium.gif

adams2_medium.gif

9SxWX_medium.gif

6a0120a6dde087970b0163043ba3b7970d-pi

Animation2.gif

The environment of the Pens in that period was toxic. The lineup was horrible. I would be astonished if people that say stuff like "Crosby and Malkin would have at least 2 more cups if not for Fleury" could tell me the rest of the Pens' lineup at that time and explain to me how it made any sense. How those teams had any synergy. How having Crosby and Malkin, the most skilled players in the world, playing with a lineup full of Ashams, Cookes, Orpiks, Tanner Glasses, Steve Downies, Doug Murrays, and the list goes on and on. Truly an endless amount of talentless players have cycled through this organization that people love to omit from our history.

For us to start winning playoff games again, Rutherford had to gut that roster, getting rid of all but handful of players. And thank God he did.

But yes, everyone pile on Fleury because it's the easy thing to do.

i wonder what is better evidence, a bunch of gifs or fleury's actual save%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad