" He got us here"

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
How often do you hear athletes and/or fans say this about a guy who gets criticized in a big moment? Am I the only one that hates this logic?

Let's look at Fleury here: Great in the first three rounds. Bad in the Finals. Who cares how well you played up to this point? The goal is to win sixteen games for a cup, not thirteen. This is like me putting up great sales numbers for three weeks, completely bombing in the last week, and the overall company numbers go down.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Agree with you 100% - thats horrible logic... Fleury is and will always be a choker. It's just a fact.

Some players play well in the big games. Fleury does not

I'd actually say that the Crosby/Malkin may have 1-2 more cups if it wasn't for Fleury's continual meltdowns. Pens should have jettisoned him a long time ago

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
How often do you hear athletes and/or fans say this about a guy who gets criticized in a big moment? Am I the only one that hates this logic?

Let's look at Fleury here: Great in the first three rounds. Bad in the Finals. Who cares how well you played up to this point? The goal is to win sixteen games for a cup, not thirteen. This is like me putting up great sales numbers for three weeks, completely bombing in the last week, and the overall company numbers go down.

It isn't like that at all because overall company numbers are based on quarters, so three better months of a quarter would still be a positive year over year.

I don't hate the logic because it is true. Maybe William Karlsson should get back to 25% shooting. Then they will score more than two goals per game

Reactions: Sentinel

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

How is this a good analogy at all? Fleury is the #1 reason Vegas has got this far?

It would be more like if you had the 27th best sales team, you kill it for 8 months to surprise everyone and bring your team to 1st but blow it the last 2 weeks to drop your team down to second.

Vegas doesn't sniff the Finals without Fleury and his .960sv%

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
How is this a good analogy at all? Fleury is the #1 reason Vegas has got this far?

It would be more like if you had the 27th best sales team, you kill it for 8 months to surprise everyone and bring your team to 1st but blow it the last 2 weeks to drop your team down to second.

Vegas doesn't sniff the Finals without Fleury and his .960sv%

Okay...but what difference does it make if he craps the bed in round 1 or 4? The goal is to win sixteen games for a cup. Nobody will remember his first three rounds by Thursday night...

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Aside from the goal Fleury kicked in, I'm not sure which goals he should have stopped.

Which goals from game 4 should have been stopped? They all seemed like good plays to me.

Caps are getting odd man rushes all over the place. Caps are passing the puck across Fleury's crease way too often.

Goalies typically get a disproportionate amount of credit or blame for the defenses in front of them. I wonder if that is happening here.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You win as a team you lose as a team.

This series is nothing like the first 3. Vegas doesn't capitalize on their chances and keeps chasing the game, which literally affects everything. Expecting Fleury to play like a god when the team in front of him lacks confidence is unrealistic and hockey usually doesn't work that way.

Best example i can give is Holtby against Tampa through games 3-5 vs games 6-7. Tampa got the momentum, Caps couldn't get a lead, Vasi was feeling it, everything was going good for Tampa and they made Holtby look bad. Then the Caps turn the tides in games 6 and you might think Holtby turned into some kind of superhuman when in reality it was more about what the Caps did to rattle Tampa. Suddenly they miss open nets, hit posts, don't get the perfect shots they did in the previous games.

He got us here might be a cliche, but it doesn't piss me off as much as your average hockey expert who sees a puck go in the net and points at the goaltender. Goalies crapping the bed doesn't happen as often as people think.

Fleury has made some amazing saves this series. Caps have scored on great shots. Not many bad goals. What can you do.

Goalies are just like any other player out there. Your team does something positive they feed off it. You see breaks going against you they can feel it. Maybe Neal should've made it 1-0.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Okay...but what difference does it make if he craps the bed in round 1 or 4? The goal is to win sixteen games for a cup. Nobody will remember his first three rounds by Thursday night...

It doesn't make a difference which round you lose in, unless you're one of those people that tries to discredit ovechkin because he never got past round 2. You're thread isn't about the merits of losing in round 1vs3 though. You're OP is talking about criticism in big moments and the rebuttal about how a player got them there. He should be criticised, but not to the level this board seems to want.... you get more leeway when you have had success. This is not a controversial line of thinking...fluery carried the team so he gets more slack.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Are you suggesting teammates publicly criticize their goalie? Have you played team sports my friend ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad