" He got us here"

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
i wonder what is better evidence, a bunch of gifs or fleury's actual save%
Must be why the Prices, Lundqvists, Rhinnes, Bobrovskys type goalies win the cup every year. Save % is everything! Absolutely ZERO correlation between what the other players on the ice and how well a goalie does.

Surely Holtby would be playing as well as he is without the Caps blocking 30 shots a night or anything. Mhmm. Yup.

My point is that our skaters on the ice were astronomically more embarrassing then Fleury's performance in net, but people only like to bring up the latter for convenience.

Why even bother anymore.... :shakehead

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Must be why the Prices, Lundqvists, Rhinnes, Bobrovskys type goalies win the cup every year. Save % is everything! Absolutely ZERO correlation between what the other players on the ice and how well a goalie does.

Surely Holtby would be playing as well as he is without the Caps blocking 30 shots a night or anything. Mhmm. Yup.

My point is that our skaters on the ice were astronomically more embarrassing then Fleury's performance in net, but people only like to bring up the latter for convenience.

Why even bother anymore.... :shakehead

none of this makes any sense.

braden holtby is an incredibly bad example considering in the 3 caps wins in the final his save% is a combined .945 and in the loss it was .848.

i'd say having a goalie play well and stopping a lot of shots is pretty important.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Fleury is Fleury, and like any other goalie, they only go as far as the team goes.

Fleury is not anymore responsible for failures than the rest of the core. Should we post gifs and YT's of them losing their minds in playoff failures? There are some doozies.

I'll hint at Boston in the ECF's where Fleury was not in net. Not until the damage had already been done.

This team from 2010 to 2014 they couldn't stay healthy both emotionally and physically. They were lead by a guy who couldn't reel them in who looked the part as one of the players.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
"Fleury is and always will be a choker"

"Fleury was pathetic this series"

Can't we just credit the Capitals for totally outmatching the Knights in every facet of the game? Every goaltender succumbed to Washington's depth and timely scoring this post-season, including my boy Matt Murray. Just reminds me of the same argument made to undermine the Penguins' firepower the two previous post-seasons. Running into all these world class goaltenders and embarrassing all of them, yet the narrative was always about how the opposing goalie was the choke artist. Tired, lazy cliche. The Capitals just overwhelmed the Knights all series long, and it just so happened the goaltender couldn't do anything to stop it. Look no further than that 3rd period. You'd think it was the Capitals down 3-1 in the series going into that 3rd period with the way they were playing. Desperate hockey, just domination.

Give credit where credit is due. The Capitals have earned the right to be proclaimed Stanley Cup champions. Suggesting Fleury choked it away is simply derailing and devaluing the former.

Reactions: Name Nameless

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
"Fleury is and always will be a choker"

"Fleury was pathetic this series"

Can't we just credit the Capitals for totally outmatching the Knights in every facet of the game? Every goaltender succumbed to Washington's depth and timely scoring this post-season, including my boy Matt Murray. Just reminds me of the same argument made to undermine the Penguins' firepower the two previous post-seasons. Running into all these world class goaltenders and embarrassing all of them, yet the narrative was always about how the opposing goalie was the choke artist. Tired, lazy cliche. The Capitals just overwhelmed the Knights all series long, and it just so happened the goaltender couldn't do anything to stop it. Look no further than that 3rd period. You'd think it was the Capitals down 3-1 in the series going into that 3rd period with the way they were playing. Desperate hockey, just domination.

Give credit where credit is due. The Capitals have earned the right to be proclaimed Stanley Cup champions. Suggesting Fleury choked it away is simply derailing and devaluing the former.

You can acknowledge that the Capitals played brilliantly and also point out that Fleury has a history of choking at critical moments and he can add this year's Stanley Cup Final to that resume.

Reactions: stepdad gaary

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Dude, that isn't even the worst Marc Andre Fleury goal allowed to win a Stanley Cup.

sorry. as a pens fan, i forced myself to forget the goal that actually won it that year.

EDIT: it should also be noted that he played so well that entire post season including the cup final. I think the pens were outmatched overall that year but he did his part. The last goal was bad but he was great that year in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad