GDT: #hcanes @ #moocowcity: I have come a Canaiac and a Caniac I am!!!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Thing is MOST of that list was expansion franchises. This actually has a shot at being one of the 10 worst non-expansion teams in league history.

bluedevil58*

If we are sub .500 By 10 games come January I can see us maybe making the playoffs. But at this rate I am fairly confident we might be like 7-30 by january.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
and just like chris "75% shooting percentage" terry (edit: 50% after tonight)

people really just look at the point totals and create a story around it. they aren't "watching the games" any more than we are. their "eye test" is just confirmation bias. all the supposed "best players" this year are suspiciously the ones who have the most points...in 6 games. they really don't understand the role that luck plays in hockey, especially over tiny sample sizes.

look at how well murphy plays and he's getting zero credit for it from most people. why? 1 point. the puck isn't falling his way, so he can't be playing well. the stats don't tell us it. the stats are everything. except if you use corsi, then you are a nerd who doesn't watch the game.

this isn't ****ing basketball. there are less than 6 goals per game in the NHL. most scoring chances don't go in the net. over six games, it's entirely possible to make a dozen great set ups and have none of them result in goals, or alternatively take 6 shots on goal and have 3 of them wind up in the net. attempting to draw conclusions about quality of play from looking at point totals over such a short time period is a futile and borderline Pejorative Slured exercise.

thank u.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Chris 50% shooting % Terry, has the 3rd highest CF% on the team despite starting less shifts in the offensive zone than anyone with 50 minutes played other than McClement. So what else am I supposed to be looking at to confirm he hasnt been one of their better players?

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Chris 50% shooting % Terry, has the 3rd highest CF% on the team despite starting less shifts in the offensive zone than anyone with 50 minutes played other than McClement. So what else am I supposed to be looking at to confirm he hasnt been one of their better players?

no one's saying terry hasn't been "good" just not as good as his point totals suggest/

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
6 games. lets see where he's at later. Nash. same thing. hope they do well but it's way too soon to say much at all. I would be willing to guarantee that Semin's game will get much better though.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
6 games. lets see where he's at later. Nash. same thing. hope they do well but it's way too soon to say much at all. I would be willing to guarantee that Semin's game will get much better though.

semin's struggles have been vastly overstated.

he hasn't been great by any means BUT

he has the highest CF% on the team

and as impeachestaalo put it earlier it's been SIX ****ING GAMES FOR ****S SAKE so putting any stock at all into production at the point is dumb.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

and as impeachestaalo put it earlier it's been SIX ****ING GAMES FOR ****S SAKE so putting any stock at all into production at the point is dumb.

You obviously don't understand the narrative.

At some point Semin will go on a hot streak. This may or may not coincide with E. Staal returning to the powerplay.

At which point, Semin will suddenly be "trying", because the powers of confirmation bias will kick in and people will use this new turnaround to fuel their previously constructed opinions.

It's ****ing foolproof because at some point, Semin will start to score. So it's a win-win. You can't be wrong!

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I liked the play where Tlusty was bringing the puck up the ice on the PP, Semin comes flying the other way, strips Tlusty like he was a mighty mite, skates past the center line, turns, and ices it.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

At some point Semin will go on a hot streak. This may or may not coincide with E. Staal returning to the powerplay.

At which point, Semin will suddenly be "trying", because the powers of confirmation bias will kick in and people will use this new turnaround to fuel their previously constructed opinions.

It's ****ing foolproof because at some point, Semin will start to score. So it's a win-win. You can't be wrong!

But when Terry/Nash/Tlusty et al inevitably go on a scoring slump, no one will mention their laziness, or effort, or enigmatic-ness, and it'll all be blamed on youth.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think we all understand the narrative quite well. Criticism of Semin is unwarranted, must be simply due to bias against him and has zero to do with him or his performance. And when his performance eventually does turn around, it will still have nothing to do with him or how he is playing, it's simply that his shots are falling now.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
But when Terry/Nash/Tlusty et al inevitably go on a scoring slump, no one will mention their laziness, or effort, or enigmatic-ness, and it'll all be blamed on youth.

I would place the blame on the fact that two of them make 14% of what Semin makes.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

yep and when Semin's game gets going Tripp Tracy will take credit for it.....he's an "I told you so" kind of guy...

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
And since he became a Hurricane, he's performing relative to those expectations in pretty much every category. Second usually only to the highest paid player on the team. But no one plays exactly their skill level every game, so there are going to be off stretches. His has just come toward the beginning of the year.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

It's dumb to not put any stock at all into production since production is the only thing that shows up on the scoreboard.

And Semin has the highest CF on the team which is good. But you know, the rest of the team sucks and he's started 40% of his shifts in the offensive zone and 32% in the neutral zone. And he's mostly played with Nash who is winning face-offs to gain possession at a leaflet unsustainable rate. You of all people know you can't just point at CF and say, ooop, guess this guy is playing well.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

IDK, Semin could do that in his sleep given this team right now....to me he looks slow, weak on the puck, and generally way off his game. Not sure why but it is not because he doesn't give a ****. I thought he looked a bit better last night though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
IDK, Semin could do that in his sleep given this team right now....to me he looks slow, weak on the puck, and generally way off his game. Not sure why but it is not because he doesn't give a ****. I thought he looked a bit better last night though.

That's how I see it also Rocky. I won't say why it is occurring (nor could I as I'm not there, around the team, etc..) but I agree with your assessment. I think he will eventually come around though, but until then, he'll be a target of criticism.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Why isn't Chris Terry being judged the same way Alex Semin is!!! It's so unfair guys!!!

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Since joining the team Semin's ranks in the following categories:

ES Goals: 4th
ES Assists: 2nd
ES Primary Assists: 2nd
ES Points: 2nd
SOG: 3rd
ESG/60: 4th
ESA/60: 2nd
ESP/60: 2nd
SOG/60: 2nd
PPG: 2nd
PPA: 4th
PPP: 3rd
PPSOG: 2nd
CF%: 2nd
FF%: 2nd
GF% 1st
GF60: 1st

All of this outrage over the 2nd highest paid forward on the team only being outside the top 3 in three offensive categories. Cooooooooool.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

ES Goals: 4th
ES Assists: 2nd
ES Primary Assists: 2nd
ES Points: 2nd
SOG: 3rd
ESG/60: 4th
ESA/60: 2nd
ESP/60: 2nd
SOG/60: 2nd
PPG: 2nd
PPA: 4th
PPP: 3rd
PPSOG: 2nd
CF%: 2nd
FF%: 2nd
GF% 1st
GF60: 1st

All of this outrage over the 2nd highest paid forward on the team only being outside the top 3 in three offensive categories. Cooooooooool.

can you imagine where he'd rank if he even tried.....?;)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

<snip>

So he's one of the least fat out of a bunch of fat guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad