HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ tv series

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It certainly calls objectivity into question when people simply rely on prior paradigms to characterize existing examples.

People will derive conclusions based quickly and more easily based largely on past patterns and assumptions.

As I said, it's the laziest form of criticism and typically lacks any kind of rigorous, creative or inspirational evaluation.
You can just as well argue it the other way as well, though. If similar events re-occur, I'd expect a person's views to remain consistent and it may call their objectivity into question when they aren't.
It is patently obvious to anyone who has ever been in a thread that you've hijacked into yet another deep dive into the nature of your own philosophy on critical analysis.
If you want to call it that, sure, and I'd encourage anyone else to make the same points they made before whenever they come up again as well, especially if the thing they're contending persists. It only seems natural to, IMO.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This thread is to discuss Watchmen- not for folks to pontificate on your personal ideology on the "woke movement" outside the context of the show, esp when you admit that you haven't even watched the show.

It's hilarious that so many who admit to not having watched the show are complaining about this topic esp considering after episode 1 I saw several reviews criticizing the show from the Left for being too pro-Police and an apologist piece for the Police.

One thing is for sure, this show does a great job getting the ideologues on both sides to identify themselves as unreasonable- on the Right those who seem offended by this show and seem to consider it to be putting forward the "woke" narrative by...... showing a White Supremacist group planning to do bad things? Are they also this mad when Homeland or 24 have islamic extremists attempting terrorist attacks?

And conversely those on the Left who cannot appreciate the show making a point that attempting to control access to weapons for on-duty cops will likely lead to more cops dying on duty and that the police force which while may have weird racist elements within it tends to be an important line of defense against the unsavory elements in the society.

Contrary to what some are saying I don't think the show plays into the woke narrative, it is infact highlighting how issues like policing, access to guns and race have a complex relationship that cannot be reduced to simple and convinient one line narratives that folks on either extreme try to push. This is exemplified in the fact that the villains of the show are white supremacist but they happen to have the truth on their side when it comes to exposing the Veidt conspiracy and the "heroes" of the show (atleast so far) are all members of the police force who do unsavory things torturing people for information and indiscriminately beating up an entire community (of seemingly unarmed trailer park white folks some of who may or may not be associated with the white supremacists) as retribution.

Those who engage with the show instead of knee jerk and unthoughtful responses like "pRoMoTiNg WoKeNeSs" or "PoLiCe ApOlOgIsT" will find it extremely rewarding. And this is not even mentioning that even ignoring the political implications of the show, it is just damn entertaining- the Jeremy Irons stuff is going to be a "Leftovers" style mindf*** in my opinion.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the show is going out of its way to subvert expectations all over the place, but so far it hasn't done so in a ham-fisted or silly way.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
If you read the original books you would see that has absolutely nothing to do with the themes Alan Moore originally was going for.

I've never really understood source material complaints but if that bothers you than to each his own. I'm just not sure why you find it "offensive" that the show has added stuff that's different.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Contrary to what some are saying I don't think the show plays into the woke narrative, it is infact highlighting how issues like policing, access to guns and race have a complex relationship that cannot be reduced to simple and convinient one line narratives that folks on either extreme try to push. This is exemplified in the fact that the villains of the show are white supremacist but they happen to have the truth on their side when it comes to exposing the Veidt conspiracy and the "heroes" of the show (atleast so far) are all members of the police force who do unsavory things torturing people for information and indiscriminately beating up an entire community (of seemingly unarmed trailer park white folks some of who may or may not be associated with the white supremacists) as retribution.

Those who engage with the show instead of knee jerk and unthoughtful responses like "pRoMoTiNg WoKeNeSs" or "PoLiCe ApOlOgIsT" will find it extremely rewarding. And this is not even mentioning that even ignoring the political implications of the show, it is just damn entertaining- the Jeremy Irons stuff is going to be a "Leftovers" style mind**** in my opinion.

Well put. This is my perspective on it as well.

It is a tremendously built world, and in only two episodes. If anything right now I am just trying to keep my expectations in check and not get too hopeful for some kind of brilliantly poignant payoff. Something more insightful than just "racism bad" would be great, but I am Just trying to enjoy the ride. And like I said earlier, I feel like having no baseline knowledge of what Watchmen was in either the comics or in Snyder's movie is really helping me in that regard.

It kinda leaves me disconnected from "the conversation" around the show (like that guy with the clones thing and the blue naked dude, that was interesting, but it wasn't any sort of big reveal from my perspective) but that is fine with me.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I found the politics a little too much "on the nose" at first glance in the premiere episode, but it took all of about 5 second of thought to realize this is based on a graphic novel in which Vietnam became the 51st state. Watchmen has always been rather "on the nose" about political issues, even if it doesn't always take a direct stance.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Honestly I don't even understand how the politics are "on the nose".

We see mostly black police officers, who conceal their faces, and abuse their authority. What nose is that even on?!

The politics are "on the nose" insofar as politics is obviously a big part of the narrative, but what exactly those politics are seems insanely ambiguous right now.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Is this the first series to ever have political under tones or are people just picking this one to get upset about because that is what people do now? Hell I didn't even really notice it at all until I saw people crying online.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
The critics are pretty much doing it for you it looks like.
Lol, nah I'm actually getting a bad feeling it might be more confusing than good like Westworld, more style and #twists than substance.

But criticism from people who haven't watched the show is laughable. Politics have been very ambiguous so far.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lol, nah I'm actually getting a bad feeling it might be more confusing than good like Westworld, more style and #twists than substance.

But criticism from people who haven't watched the show is laughable. Politics have been very ambiguous so far.
This thread is to discuss Watchmen- not for folks to pontificate on your personal ideology on the "woke movement" outside the context of the show, esp when you admit that you haven't even watched the show.

It's hilarious that so many who admit to not having watched the show are complaining about this topic esp considering after episode 1 I saw several reviews criticizing the show from the Left for being too pro-Police and an apologist piece for the Police.

One thing is for sure, this show does a great job getting the ideologues on both sides to identify themselves as unreasonable- on the Right those who seem offended by this show and seem to consider it to be putting forward the "woke" narrative by...... showing a White Supremacist group planning to do bad things? Are they also this mad when Homeland or 24 have islamic extremists attempting terrorist attacks?

And conversely those on the Left who cannot appreciate the show making a point that attempting to control access to weapons for on-duty cops will likely lead to more cops dying on duty and that the police force which while may have weird racist elements within it tends to be an important line of defense against the unsavory elements in the society.

Those who engage with the show instead of knee jerk and unthoughtful responses like "pRoMoTiNg WoKeNeSs" or "PoLiCe ApOlOgIsT" will find it extremely rewarding. And this is not even mentioning that even ignoring the political implications of the show, it is just damn entertaining- the Jeremy Irons stuff is going to be a "Leftovers" style mind**** in my opinion.
These are straw-men. As far as I can tell, I'm the only one here who has said that they didn't watch it and I didn't criticize or complain about the show's politics at all.

Let me clarify. It is not the case that I came into the thread screaming about my general thoughts about woke politics or something. I was curious about what people were saying about the show, there was an existing dispute about woke politics, I noticed a comment being a bit disingenuous and I basically said "I didn't watch it, but I don't think the logistics of this specific defense/counter-point you're making really checks out-- If this potentially bull-**** accusation were true, it certainly wouldn't be a good thing and we should at least acknowledge that before further discussing whether or not it is bull-****." You shouldn't need to watch the show to be able to make that very simple point.

Now somehow that's being lumped together with the knee-jerk anti-SJW mob that are ultra-sensitive to woke politics infesting popular culture, when that isn't what I argued in favor of at all.

In response to why I engaged the discussion despite not watching the show, I said that I found the subject itself to be an interesting and relevant point of discussion worth engaging in (despite not really being optimistic enough about the entertainment value/quality of the show itself, regardless of its politics, to watch it) and for some reason that's being misrepresented to mean that "woke politics really bothers me so I want to complain about it even if the show isn't guilty of it" or something. You both seem to be dead set on that being the case, and it isn't. If it was, I would totally agree with you that this would be a moronic thing to argue.

I mean, I get that it's tiresome that you have to constantly fend off bad anti-woke narratives even when they aren't applicable, but don't assign those motivations to me.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
@Shareefruck either watch the show or please stop hijacking the thread.

I think you've spent more than enough time analysizing your meta analysis that there's nothing more to be gained other than watching and forming your own opinion about the show.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
@Shareefruck either watch the show or please stop hijacking the thread.

I think you've spent more than enough time analysizing your meta analysis that there's nothing more to be gained other than watching and forming your own opinion about the show.
I'm happy to comply with that if posters would just stop misrepresenting my views, mistakenly accusing me of doing something that I wasn't doing or assuming that I have motivations that I don't have. I'm not going to just not defend myself as that happens. Also, I'm not single-handedly responsible for this going on for so long-- it's a continually and mutually provoked response (this post included). I've been pretty respectful about the subject and about the show throughout this whole thing, and you'll notice that aside from my initial single comment since the show's aired, when nobody comments about something I've said, I've left the thread alone. If posters are really bothered by the conversation going on for so long or the fact that I made the comment without watching the show (again, I've more than justified that above), then by all means, take my comments with a grain of salt and with that caveat in mind and ignore them/leave them alone-- If you're tired of something, the onus is on you to stop engaging it. Otherwise, I'll keep responding and trying to fairly clarify things that are mistaken as people keep responding to my comments-- it's only natural/fair.

Last edited:

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
I'm happy to comply with that if posters would just stop misrepresenting my views, mistakenly accusing me of doing something that I wasn't doing or assuming that I have motivations that I don't have. I'm not going to just not defend myself as that happens. Also, I'm not single-handedly responsible for this going on for so long-- it's a continually and mutually provoked response (this post included). I've been pretty respectful about the subject and about the show throughout this whole thing, and you'll notice that aside from my initial single comment since the show's aired, when nobody comments about something I've said, I've left the thread alone. If posters are really bothered by the conversation going on for so long or the fact that I made the comment without watching the show (again, I've more than justified that above), then by all means, take my comments with a grain of salt and with that caveat in mind and ignore them/leave them alone if you feel that it's that important-- If you're tired of something, the onus is on you to stop engaging it. Otherwise, I'll keep responding and trying to fairly clarify things that are mistaken as people keep responding to my comments-- it's only natural/fair.
You absolutley damn right

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not completely sure what to make of all of this so far because I’m not in-tune with the book world, but I did once see the movie. The score has been great, Regina King has been A+. The stuff with the lord is really weird but I’m sure it will connect. There doesn’t yet seem to be a place we’re working towards.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Interesting that they alluded to the squid alien Veidt plan from the graphic novel and not the Dr. Manhattan energy wave from the Zack Snyder film.

I also liked the casting of Silk Spectre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad