HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ tv series

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
it does, i looked at IMDB as I had a few questions.
even without looking, it was obvious who Irons was playing.

I also laughed at Dr Manhattans appearance in the play

Yep, I knew he was Veidt just by all the purple

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
So after Ozy put a wrench in the natural progression of man and unified the planet, I'm guessing the vast majority of the world went uber uber liberal, while a small but deadly right wing nut job conspiracy Cult arose from Rorschach's journal?

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
All the race baiting has absolutely nothing to do with Moore's original work. I find it offensive and am dropping the show.

Nov 1, 2011
If you read the original books you would see that has absolutely nothing to do with the themes Alan Moore originally was going for.

Well, it's funny that it really does show the Rorschah loving crew as nihilist as was originally intended.

He was supposed to be a villain but so many saw him as a hero. Now he is being portrayed as villainous.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Well, it's funny that it really does show the Rorschah loving crew as nihilist as was originally intended.

He was supposed to be a villain but so many saw him as a hero. Now he is being portrayed as villainous.
The comics were much more reflective in the faults of the individual than they were with society, not to say it didn't go there, but I really feel like this isn't what it was originally about at all, especially the racially charged stuff.

Nov 1, 2011
The comics were much more reflective in the faults of the individual than they were with society, not to say it didn't go there, but I really feel like this isn't what it was originally about at all, especially the racially charged stuff.

Think it was politically charged based on ideologies which was big for its setting, i.e. capitalism vs. communism while the time setting for the series lends itself more towards racism.

The reference to Black Wallstreet is interesting as that historical incident is significantly under publicized for its significance.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

I wouldn't characterise Rorschach as nihilistic at all. More extremely objectivist.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix weren't Cesar Romero-y enough for me as the Joker either.
Yeah, but there is a different between an actor's take on a character, and changing the themes of a story. Even in your example, it's not like the character of the Joker was inherently changed from a villain to something else.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
All the race baiting has absolutely nothing to do with Moore's original work. I find it offensive and am dropping the show.

Its by far the most interesting stuff to me. I hope there is a good payoff here because I am fascinated by this world.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Yeah, but there is a different between an actor's take on a character, and changing the themes of a story. Even in your example, it's not like the character of the Joker was inherently changed from a villain to something else.

I don't buy the 'you can change this, but not this' analysis. Its a different story set in the same universe, different characters, they were made for different audiences at different times, it's allowed to have different themes.

And I think it's a little early to be calling shots on what the theme is or isnt, several twists already, I wouldn't be putting much money on who the 'good' or 'bad' guys are. I am Westworld levels of confused already, we will see if they keep the story tight and moving along.

Reactions: Supermassive

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't buy the 'you can change this, but not this' analysis. Its a different story set in the same universe, different characters, they were made for different audiences at different times, it's allowed to have different themes.

And I think it's a little early to be calling shots on what the theme is or isnt, several twists already, I wouldn't be putting much money on who the 'good' or 'bad' guys are. I am Westworld levels of confused already, we will see if they keep the story tight and moving along.
I'm not saying what can and can't be changed, just saying there is a difference IMO.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm actually more interested to see something novel.

I've read the graphic novel series and seen the film.

I know that Alan Moore will hate it but sometimes you have to try and break new ground.

I'm pleased to see that they've gone in a different direction.

It gives me a very strong Bioshock: Infinite vibe for those of you who are familiar with that game with the underlying racial tensions juxtaposed with mythical Americana, and with the Tulsa Massacre standing in for the Boxer Rebellion.

Whether or not Rorschach is emblematic of the 7th Cavalry is completely irrelevant. He wouldn't be the first individual expropriated by a group as a symbol in a manner that isn't consistent with his original philosophy.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In the entertainment business, no one puts the words "Officially Declared Dead" in a headline when they are actually dead.
Even in the real-world and actual media, I'd be pretty skeptical when it's a major figure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don Johnson killed in the first episode? That gets a down.

I kind of saw it coming in that the Comedian dies at the beginning of Watchmen which sets the whole investigation off.

It's consistent in structure. A morally dubious individual dies. (ex-superhero? how did they get Nite Owl's owlmobile?)

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I kind of saw it coming in that the Comedian dies at the beginning of Watchmen which sets the whole investigation off.

It's consistent in structure. A morally dubious individual dies. (ex-superhero? how did they get Nite Owl's owlmobile?)

The song unforgettable was playing during the dinner scene before he dies and also when the comedian dies in the movie

Already got flashback scene with him and are likely to get more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad