Player Discussion Haydn Fleury

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Too hard to tell at this point.

He goes from a great environment with a contending team and being part of the “Storm Surge” and “A Bunch of Jerks” to who knows what is happening with the Ducks has to be a shock.

John

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
As a high draft pick, he's got expectations to be better, but for the Ducks if he pans out to be an effective (high end) 3rd pairing guy or an average/above average #4 that's a huge win. He essentially cost Anaheim a 6th round pick and maybe a 3rd/4th round pick (Hawk's value as a rental). Having a guy that can take charge of that 3rd pair and step up into the top 4 when needed would be a pretty good add at that price. Hopefully one of the prospects becomes a high end second pair LHD to replace Fowler eventually (Thrun?).

Reactions: Getz2noone

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I'd be surprised if Seattle doesn't take him, assuming we leave him exposed. Good size, skill, seems pretty smart, young and probably still developing.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd be surprised if Seattle doesn't take him, assuming we leave him exposed. Good size, skill, seems pretty smart, young and probably still developing.
He won't be available to be chosen.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I think he is playing his way to protected status. The Ducks will not lose anyone of consequence during expansion. Protect Fowler, Manson, Lindholm, Fleury, Rakell, Terry, Lundestrom, and Jones. Expose the rest. The worst the Ducks lose is Volkov, Steel, or Mahura.

Based on recent play, I'd keep Fleury over those three for sure. I don't want to lose them but, at some point, the Ducks need players to perform and Fleury is doing so.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Jones, Volkov, Steel, Mahura, etc. are all easily replaceable if you think they will protect one of those over Fleury you're out to lunch.

Jones would be I guess the most missed but literally all is he is a big fast chicken with his head cut off. He only stands out because we don't have much power in our lineup. We can easily find a replacement via FA for that.

Mahura would suck to lose but he gets hit more than any defensemen I have ever seen in a Gulls uniform. He is way too small for any NHL time right now.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Jones, Volkov, Steel, Mahura, etc. are all easily replaceable if you think they will protect one of those over Fleury you're out to lunch.

Jones would be I guess the most missed but literally all is he is a big fast chicken with his head cut off. He only stands out because we don't have much power in our lineup. We can easily find a replacement via FA for that.

If the trade Manson after the expansion draft then they won’t have to go 8 skaters.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
If we keep Manson and somehow get rid of Shatt (maybe mahura or jones/something?) our defense will be fun next season

Fowler Lindholm
Fleury Drysdale
Benoit Manson

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Trade/expose Manson or go 8?
I think they go 8 or expose Fowler. Highly doubt Seattle wants 5 years at $6.5mil for a 29 year-old D when a younger more cost-controlled player could be had. If I’m GMRF I’d be looking to weaponzie my cap space for picks & prospects but that’s just me

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
If we keep Manson and somehow get rid of Shatt (maybe mahura or jones/something?) our defense will be fun next season

Fowler Lindholm
Fleury Drysdale
Benoit Manson
Until two weeks into the season when Lindholm and Manson are dealing with season long injuries again and spend weeks out of the line up.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Fowler Lindholm
Fleury Drysdale
Benoit Manson

Due to the fact that Seattle is mandated to take on a certain amount of cap through the expansion draft, they won't have much choice but to take on at least a handful of mid level salaries.

Since we aren't asking them to skip over any truly great pieces to do so, I think it's plausible we could get Seattle to select Shattenkirk. Almost surely would require some incentive, but hopefully nothing we can't part with.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Until two weeks into the season when Lindholm and Manson are dealing with season long injuries again and spend weeks out of the line up.
That works out perfectly because the 21 and 22 drafts are elite :laugh:.

Reactions: 405Entrance

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Mahura would suck to lose but he gets hit more than any defensemen I have ever seen in a Gulls uniform. He is way too small for any NHL time right now.

I was thinking it would suck to lose Mahura too... but the left side looks so much better with Fleury stepping up and Benoit looking like he can be a bottom pairing D (at least). If only the Ducks could get a cheaper, 2-way RHD instead of Shat.
Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Drysdale
Fleury-???

Benoit gets first callup when Lindholm gets hurt. In a few years the Ducks can potentially run:

21 1st rounder-Drysdale
Fleury-???
Benoit-Andersson

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

I love Jones and hope we don't lose him and feel like giving up steal could be a really bad move as well.

Ps, I think you mean figuratively because he isn't literally a big fast chicken haha

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
If I'm the Ducks I'm putting Drysdale on the top pair and giving him a ton of minutes to fuel his development.

I wouldn't worry about that projection. Based on everything we've seen, that kid is likely going to force those minutes sooner rather than later.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So I think I may jump on the Carolina playoff bandwagon. Fluery has been such a great addition, I hope Hakanpaa could do good for them as well, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad