Player Discussion Haydn Fleury

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He's better than despres was, and I kind of went into this thinking that was best case scenario. What a great trade, and rhs front someone who loved hank (hawk). Hankhawk.

Mr Rogers

The Establishment
Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
He's better than despres was, and I kind of went into this thinking that was best case scenario. What a great trade, and rhs front someone who loved hank (hawk). Hankhawk.
Definitely has a bit more to give offensively IMO

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I hate to be that guy but how many times have we been excited about a young dman we acquire at the deadline based off the smallest of samples only to see that after they settle down they’re not actually that good.

Guhle and Djoos in recent memory to name a couple.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I hate to be that guy but how many times have we been excited about a young dman we acquire at the deadline based off the smallest of samples only to see that after they settle down they’re not actually that good.

Yep, could definitely be the case. Only difference is hadyn is displaying the traits that led to him being a top 10 pick. Neither of those other guys possessed that sort of pedigree or ceiling.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

Fleury has easily been better than Guhle ever was here and he ran into injury problems, and Djoos never really got a chance to disappoint us since Bob waived him.

I agree with the sentiment though, especially given how Canes fans thought he finally took a step forward in the bubble and then this year didn't do much. But I don't see a 5th forward worth keeping over what Fleury has shown so far.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

I see your point, but the skills Fleury has shown are a different level than Guhle and Djoos.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

I and most others never liked Guhle from day one.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I was so right on Guhle right away lol.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I was so right on Guhle right away lol.

It was evident to most of the board after three or four games that he couldn't really think the game. We've been so spoiled by the team's ability to scout top-4 defensemen that it's pretty easy to identify when someone isn't very good.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yep, could definitely be the case. Only difference is hadyn is displaying the traits that led to him being a top 10 pick. Neither of those other guys possessed that sort of pedigree or ceiling.

I agree and I see traits such as really good hockey sense that make him stand out as being more likely to succeed than the others. I’m just being cautiously optimistic at this stage.

Definitely going to be interesting to see what route we take for the expansion draft. I think you have to go 4/4 but then you’re guaranteed to lose one forward with decent upside.

Reactions: Static

Mr Rogers

The Establishment
Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Guhle wasn't great in the defensive zone but he has little to no offensive upside. You get the sense that Fleury has something in mind when he carries the puck in the offensive zone. Guhle was a classic tools guy similar to Sbisa (Guhle maybe slightly better skater). Those types of players are very dangerous because they can look good in flashes and if that's all you see, you may think you've found something.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Guhle wasn't great in the defensive zone but he has little to no offensive upside. You get the sense that Fleury has something in mind when he carries the puck in the offensive zone. Guhle was a classic tools guy similar to Sbisa (Guhle maybe slightly better skater). Those types of players are very dangerous because they can look good in flashes and if that's all you see, you may think you've found something.

Completely agree but after 6 games a lot of this forum only saw the good in his game and couldn’t see any of the flaws.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Definitely going to be interesting to see what route we take for the expansion draft. I think you have to go 4/4 but then you’re guaranteed to lose one forward with decent upside.

who do you think the ducks protect up front? rakell, jones, terry, steel? figure nobody is taking silfverberg. heinen is a solid 3rd liner but expendable. lundestrom i haven't seen enough of to
say what he might be.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
who do you think the ducks protect up front? rakell, jones, terry, steel? figure nobody is taking silfverberg. heinen is a solid 3rd liner but expendable. lundestrom i haven't seen enough of to
say what he might be.
Rakell, Lundeström, Terry. The fourth one would probably be Steel or Jones. Steel didn't look too good this year, but I have a hard time seeing Jones ever be anything more than a bottom sixer. He does have size, though, and that's something this team does need.

Mr Rogers

The Establishment
Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Rakell, Lundeström, Terry. The fourth one would probably be Steel or Jones. Steel didn't look too good this year, but I have a hard time seeing Jones ever be anything more than a bottom sixer. He does have size, though, and that's something this team does need.
Murray was pretty complimentary of Jones yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's protected.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I agree with the three forwards, but that fourth is pretty much up in the air. I don't think Steel is worth protecting. Then it comes down to Jones or Rico. Rico has a lot more value to any team seeing that he plays center and can score. On a team that cannot score, it would be prudent if we retained Rico. Of course, protecting Rico all depends on how the relationship between Rico, Eakins, and the front office concluded at the end of the season.

I watched Rico's exit interview. Most of the things he said sounds like a typical answer for a person in his situation, but one thing that did catch me off guard was that when he signed his five year extension that he knew he'd be a part of a rebuild. (He and Silf, since they both signed extensions in the same year.) Then he mentioned the problem with him was mental due and eventually cited COVID. Here's the odd thing, two seasons ago Rico was our top goal scorer (26) and notched the most points (43) on the team. Silf was the second highest goal scorer with 21 goals. Both of those players had down years last year, with Rico turning it around after getting waived. COVID did mess with the typical off-season and such. It may be possible that Rico just needed a wakeup call after all that COVID stuff. Each person reacts differently to COVID. Personally in my fam, it really got to one in a bad, bad way mentally. I think Rico can turn things around with the possibility of the schedule returning to the norm.

Who would have thought that we would be protecting 4 defenseman due to Fleury's blossoming in 12 games to put the team in an interesting situation. I watched The Hockey Guy on youtube and he went through 10 items that Seattle would like to replicate the Vegas success. The top two factors of success was 1. goalie (MA Fleury) and 2. D Shea Theodore. I don't know if Anaheim wants to lose yet another young defenseman with potential to be more again. We go from protecting 7F, 3D, and 1 goalie (10 skaters total) to 8 skaters and 1 goalie. We really don't have a lot of talented forwards to protect is blessing and a curse.

Who will be the fourth forward to protect? A part of me hopes GM Murray doesn't protect Silf, but Silf being an assistant captain might be the most important reason to GM Murray. Maybe we swing a deal where Seattle drafts D Shattenkirk and trade G Stolarz to them after the XD?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->