GDT: Hawks vs Rags - 7:30CDT - NSCH - Do you smell what the Hawks are cooking????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How many other people are seeing this as well?

I think he'd be fine at center too, he just needs to be away from Kane. He can't be on a line with him ever, except maybe a PP unit. Anytime he's on the ice with Kane, he defers everything to him, rather than being his own player, and doing what he can do. Which is a lot. He's super talented. Keep him away from Kane and he should be good no matter if he's at center or wing.

I think he looked better at wing because he's not with Kane, moreso than anything else.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This needs to be addresed. The ice at UC seems to be a bigger problem than most other arenas.

It's like this with all hockey arenas that share with a basketball team, honestly.

You have all those people on the floor, and the wood laid down over the ice, etc. The ice is always crap after Bulls home games the night before. Same with concerts and other assorted things that happen at the UC.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Love how kane can play so lackluster some nights and still end up with a goal and one of the three stars lol

It can be frustrating to watch Kane slack off. Playing with AA and Saad keeps the line more respectable without the puck but Kane's nonchalant play at times can get any line in trouble.
Part of the problem is that Kane makes the game look so easy. He has learned when to dog it and conserve his energy for show time.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think he'd be fine at center too, he just needs to be away from Kane. He can't be on a line with him ever, except maybe a PP unit. Anytime he's on the ice with Kane, he defers everything to him, rather than being his own player, and doing what he can do. Which is a lot. He's super talented. Keep him away from Kane and he should be good no matter if he's at center or wing.

I think he looked better at wing because he's not with Kane, moreso than anything else.
Pretty much this. I'm sure he can play 3C no problem. Easier faceoff matchups too. Just can't be with Kane.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It can be frustrating to watch Kane slack off. Playing with AA and Saad keeps the line more respectable without the puck but Kane's nonchalant play at times can get any line in trouble.
Part of the problem is that Kane makes the game look so easy. He has learned when to dog it and conserve his energy for show time.
I am not entirely sure this is the case...I see things in the light that you are mentioning as well, but then I think about it the other way - is he "slacking off" or is he finding ways to remain healthy throughout an entire season?? the guy has played 82 games each of the last 3 seasons...

just think about that for a 5'11 175lb forward. He isn't going to grind things out every night or go into heavy traffic areas either..he is smart and cerebral, and though I think he takes his foot off the pedal a number of times, IMO this has more to do with knowing it is a long season and him being on the ice game in and game out means more than going balls out for say 70 games and he has to miss 12 or so per year with injuries like he used to...

he is staying healthier the older he gets, it should be reversed to be honest..this is showing me he has a full understanding of the game, the day in and day out issues he is avoiding as well..I am sure some of it is him not going balls out, but I think he is doing that on purpose not because he is lazy but because he has gotten smarter overall with what he wants to do for an entire year. you see him dominate and take over games at times, I think that shows he knows when to go all in and when to just let things flow. no excuses he can be better, but just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Like we saw with Hino in previous years, some folks on this board make up their mind immediately that Fortin is fast but nothing else. In some cases before the guy plays a single game in the NHL (right KM) ....and are blind to the positives. They put on the blinders and see only the rookie mistakes or the missed chances. When he scores it is a fluke. They don't want to see the scoring chances and/or the open ice generated by his speed and hustle. Oh well. What can you do. If Fortin keeps playing like he has, Hawks are a better team with him in the line-up.

Snap judgements on a message board?

The kid has passed the first phase of the audition. On to the second phase. If he shows some growth, he'll secure a permanent spot. Quasi-permanent, anyway.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
IMO, the real test comes when Forsling and Murphy come back ... with Crow staying healthy.

With strong goaltending and defensive pairings of:

* Keith / Joker
* Seabrook / Gus
* Forsling / Murphy

will ultimately define this season. If Joker can last the season, Gus continues to grow, and Forsling / Murphy comes back strong as our 3rd pairing ... the Hawks can do some damage this year. If we need to relieve the pressure on Joker, we can move Forsling to the first pairing AND play Joker with Murphy (IF he's healthy and plays well).

Of course, that's a big IF with so many questions on the back end. Q needs to stay paitient. It's imperative.

Agree w/all of this. Fix the PP and we're cooking.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Joker should continue to play with Keith, just have someone like Seabrook and Murphy split the extra shifts with Keith if you want to reduce Joker’s toi for endurance reasons.

The one area he needs to hit the lab on next summer is more explosion in his first few steps. It will do a lot for his puck retrieval. Right now he lacks that explosion that will make him an elite 1RHD. Other than that he’s already a replacement level top 4 guy probably.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I know that the Rags aren’t a great team but this was another solid team effort. Only giving up one shot in the third while winning is a pretty impressive finish no matter who you’re playing.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Murphy would be the one to move up to the first line in your scenario since he's a RD.
Yuck. I want to see less Keith in the offensive zone. Keith is still a master in the defensive end though. I guess Joker sticks with Keith as long as possible.

The Forsling / Murphy combo can be good. Let's hope Murphy back issues don't linger.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Joker should continue to play with Keith, just have someone like Seabrook and Murphy split the extra shifts with Keith if you want to reduce Joker’s toi for endurance reasons.

The one area he needs to hit the lab on next summer is more explosion in his first few steps. It will do a lot for his puck retrieval. Right now he lacks that explosion that will make him an elite 1RHD. Other than that he’s already a replacement level top 4 guy probably.
It will have to be Murphy. I kind of like limiting Seabrook's TOI as he is getting up in age. Same goes for Keith. The Forsling / Murphy pairing is going to be really Important. Gone are the days where Keith, Hjalmarrson, Seabrook, Oduya would eat up most of the ice time. This is going to have to be split evenly.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Yuck. I want to see less Keith in the offensive zone. Keith is still a master in the defensive end though. I guess Joker sticks with Keith as long as possible.

The Forsling / Murphy combo can be good. Let's hope Murphy back issues don't linger.

Keith with Joker is the best fit now and long-term. Watch what one year with Chara did to McAvoy. Obviously McAvoy is crazy good talent but still.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Kampf or Johnson ... or someone else with even more speed. Just surround Schmaltz with speed. He needs to play an up and down game.
I would try Highmore between Fortin and Schmaltz and put Johnson in place of Kruger on the 4th

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
My problem with Kunitz playing is he isn't even better than our youth options and he hasn't shown that much defensive responsibility and yet he is still getting PP and time with the net empty sometimes. Its so ridiculous.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
My problem with Kunitz playing is he isn't even better than our youth options and he hasn't shown that much defensive responsibility and yet he is still getting PP and time with the net empty sometimes. Its so ridiculous.
Yeah Kunitz gets gifted a lot of undeserved opportunities. I really wouldn’t mind him at all if he was used correctly in a fourth line role with no PP time.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yeah Kunitz gets gifted a lot of undeserved opportunities. I really wouldn’t mind him at all if he was used correctly in a fourth line role with no PP time.
That's been his usage the last few games and he never got much pp time. Nobody that has gotten PP time at all has less than him. After the first couple games hes got none

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That's been his usage the last few games and he never got much pp time. Nobody that has gotten PP time at all has less than him. After the first couple games hes got none
Kunitz got PP time against Arizona. I don't think he's got any since. However, why he even got any PP time was ridiculous. I don't mind Kunitz on the 4th line, but what's the point? He's not going to be on the roster next year. Play the young guys. See what we have.

Why is Kampf and Hayden continually being benched for Kunitz? I'd rather see Johnson on the ice than Kunitz.

Reactions: djeck42

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Kunitz got PP time against Arizona. I don't think he's got any since. However, why he even got any PP time was ridiculous. I don't mind Kunitz on the 4th line, but what's the point? He's not going to be on the roster next year. Play the young guys. See what we have.

Why is Kampf and Hayden continually being benched for Kunitz? I'd rather see Johnson on the ice than Kunitz.

Kunitz on the pp that game was I think a white flag by Q to his top players that they had better get their butts in gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad