Confirmed with Link: Hawks trade for Karlsson (G - Calgary)

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I really like Emery and his story and I wish he was playing better but the fact is he just looks small in the net and almost fragile. His rebound control was off the charts terrible in Phoenix and the Coyotes were sure aware of it. It was like just get the puck to the net and it will go in. Emery may find his game but with this shortened season we can't gamble for too long so Karlsson is a sliver of hope that may pan out for us. The jury is still out. Unless of course Bowman is able to bring in someone like Bishop or Bernier for a pick or two.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This is like a contest to see which of two people is taller. One is 6' 2", one is 6' 1 1/2". You guys keep saying they are both the same height but one is clearly taller.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Emery is 1-0 and needs to improve. I think he should get a chance, and I don't see the Hawks sticking with him if he can't get the job done.

So far we are 3-0.... Nice start and I see the cup as half full.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wish they would actually give Karlsson a start as opposed to just waiting for Emery to crap the bed again. Like that guy from Sweden said earlier, if we keep him in the AHL too long behind Emery, he is going to look at the situation like "Are you ****ing kidding me, I'm out" And I don't blame him at all. Really, he is well within his rights to approach Bowman now and let him know that if he wasn't brought in to replace Emery, he is ready to move on with his career.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Karlsson is big, needs more playing time. I'm not against starting him in the AHL, see how it does and then waive Emery and give Karlsson the chance to get Emerys games.

4 Swedes on the roster could help him too.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
That's a good point, we have two Swedish speaking D-men and one center. That could be of great benefit to him if he doesn't speak much English.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Got your analagy was just wanting to have fun with the height thing.
Also we've never had a TALL goalie before so let's give the guy a shot .. can't be worse than the way Emery played on Sunday.

Exactly, some of us have been waiting to see what this team could do with a tall goalie. It's very intriguing and as you said, he is either going to play around the same or better. Who knows, tall could be the answer, may as well give it a chance.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
that he starts in the AHL isn't telling much. Karlsson hasn't played like forever. He needs to get in game shape first playing in - games.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
that he starts in the AHL isn't telling much. Karlsson hasn't played like forever. He needs to get in game shape first playing in - games.

Definitely, we want him to get his best foot forward and he isn't needed on the Hawks at the moment. However, the next back to backs are this Saturday at CBJ and Sunday at Detroit. Then the following weekend Friday at Vancouver and Saturday at Calgary. I imagine Ray will get another chance, probably in the game against the Blue Jackets. If he stinks it up against them, I think you cut the cord and call up the King.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Definitely, we want him to get his best foot forward and he isn't needed on the Hawks at the moment. However, the next back to backs are this Saturday at CBJ and Sunday at Detroit. Then the following weekend Friday at Vancouver and Saturday at Calgary.

So do we play Emery for CBJ and Karlsson for Calgary?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So do we play Emery for CBJ and Karlsson for Calgary?

That's what I'd do. Having Karlsson have his first game in Calgary could be a big plus or a negative. You never know how a guy is going to do in a situation like that, so if he doesn't play as good as he can, I hope people cut him some slack. By then, Karlsson will also have had plenty of time to get in a groove playing in the AHL.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That's what I'd do. Having Karlsson have his first game in Calgary could be a big plus or a negative. You never know how a guy is going to do in a situation like that, so if he doesn't play as good as he can, I hope people cut him some slack. By then, Karlsson will also have had plenty of time to get in a groove playing in the AHL.

You play Crawford. We are fighting for a playoff spot in a 48 game season. You don't waste games on your potential backup.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
You play Crawford. We are fighting for a playoff spot in a 48 game season. You don't waste games on your potential backup.

Q seems to be of the mind to play the back up on one of the back to backs.
We have 12 B to B's this year, tied with Detroit for most in the league.
Great to go with Crow but the thought is not to tire him out with the intense schedule.
It's a balancing act this year more than most and having a capable back up is very important.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Like Crazyhawk said, that isn't how Q does things. I can only recall a few times the starter went back to back and when they did, it was because both the start was red hot and the backup was playing very poorly. The way things are going, it could unfold that way but with the short schedule, I still think he goes with the backup.

It also sends a message to Emery. Here ya go, you get to play Columbus for your roster spot. If there isn't a massive improvement, we go with Karlsson. At least then if we are losing we can open things up and likely still win the game.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The ONLY reason Emery played so much last year was because Crawford was jsut as bad. If Crow plays the way he did last night, Emery might get 10 games in. If Emery plays as bad as he did in PHX after game 3 or 4, then you think about a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad