Confirmed with Link: Hawks trade for Karlsson (G - Calgary)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Karlsson is better. He plays better. He produces better stats on a worse team. He's more athletic. He's much bigger. Is he a major upgrade over Emery? No. But better is better. Whatever, you guys still want to lick Emery's ******* for no reason, go right ahead. It's only a matter of time before the Hawks make the change, he knows it, you know it, I know it, Karlsson knows it too.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Chicago's farm teams haven't always been bad, but it is unfortunate that this current group (starting with Pirri/Morin/Beach) have been in a losing atmosphere for their entire Pro careers pretty much - outside of short stints with the Hawks and being called up in the playoffs.

I'm not at all a fan of Ted Dent.. if they had a decent coach, I don't think they'd be bad; they certainly don't lack talent, even with the call-ups.
So true. Under Haviland at Norfolk, they were decent. Once Haviland left and the team switched to a former UHL affiliate, things went downhill quickly.

As far as Karlsson goes, I happy with the move. Regardless of whether he challenges for a spot on the Hawks as a #2 which is unlikely unless an injury situation, he should be a big improvement over Richards who is most likely not long for remaining with the organization.

Last edited:

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Karlsson is better. He plays better. He produces better stats on a worse team. He's more athletic. He's much bigger. Is he a major upgrade over Emery? No. But better is better. Whatever, you guys still want to lick Emery's ******* for no reason, go right ahead. It's only a matter of time before the Hawks make the change, he knows it, you know it, I know it, Karlsson knows it too.

I hope Emery and Karlsson don't know it.

It'll be a sad and boring competition for backup if they both already know the outcome.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Better stats on a worse team? They had the exact same sv% last year, and our defense played just as bad as anyone elses last year.

He isn't an upgrade on Emery, both are terrible. Nobody is licking anything on Emery, just stating facts. I would support a couple starts for Karlsson, just to prove how terrible he is. I'm sure he would win a couple games, and lose games the same way Emery does. Most backups are like Emery, terrible one game, compentent in another game.

DisneyDucky

Feb 5, 2012
Linköping
I mean yeah its a good trade for a little competition in the goalie ranks but I dont see how Karlsson is an improvement over Emery. Karlsson may prove some of us wrong but he hasnt done anything before to make me think otherwise.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm pretty sure he's not, and I'm glad the team agrees with me.

Karlsson is better than Emery. Emery is bad, Karlsson isn't good either, but Emery is bad.

I've seen them both and Karlsson has at least a chance to win and not lose us the game

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Karlsson is better than Emery. Emery is bad, Karlsson isn't good either, but Emery is bad.

I've seen them both and Karlsson has at least a chance to win and not lose us the game

Last year

Emery 15wins 27starts
Karlsson 1win 7 starts

Ya, he really gives us a better chance to win.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not arguing either side as I've never seen Karlsson play, but that's not a fair statistic because the Blackhawks are a much better team.

We had 4 more regulation wins than Calgary.....

Not only that, people are saying we can't win with Emery, meanwhile, he had 15wins last year, and 1 this year.

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
another meh move?

Bowman traded a 7th aka nothing for a #3 goalie and AHL depth. No downside here.

I'm pretty sure he is better than Emery.

The guy is 29 years old and has played in 9 NHL games. I'd hardly call that better than Emery. All Stan has ever traded for are players who are getting older and need to "bounce back". If he wanted to do that why didnt he just sign Gomez :) lol

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I've seen Karlsson and as with many euro goalies, I heard his name before he came over. Was only in swedens second league but he made a name for himself.

Emery is just bad, that's why I think Karlsson is better.

Lehner was send down to the AHL. Anderson with Bishop in NHL left. I know Sens fans are crazy about Lehner, but he could be on the move. Gillis said that Luongo may be on the move too and he will get traded for a player nobody talked about yet.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Feaster has had a problem letting go of goalie experiments in the past. I'm less likely to trust Karlsson over Emery long term because of that. Maybe his big frame will work for a few games here or there or in a short stretch, but I'm very reluctant to believe he would be an upgrade over Emery for the rest of the year.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
It's an interesting trade, for me he is a dark horse.

Karlsson has had some troubles adjusting to North American hockey and smaller sized rinks. Similar adjustment problems as his countryman Jonas Gustavsson (poor rebound control). I think Flames should have given him some more time in the AHL when he first arrived.

Karlsson is huge and covers the net very well, he has good personality and attitude. If he manage to improve his rebound control he may turn out being a real sensation.

I don't think he will stay in the AHL for long. He will probably head back to Sweden if being kept in the AHL all season.

If he gets a chance he may take it.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
he will only get a chance if he plays well in the AHL and if Emery keeps to play like he did against the Yotes

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
How about this, we won 15 games and only lost 9 with Emery in net last year. Karlsson had 1 win and lost 4 as a back up.

Nothing you have said proves that Karlsson should take the back up job away. How does starting Karlsson in net help the Hawks if he is just as bad or worse (which he is)

Stating win totals of a team as bad as Calgary and comparing them with a top 5, top 10 at worst talent team is foolish.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Is Karlsson an upgrade over Emery, maybe, is he a downgrade? if he has a pulse then no.

Let's please stop acting like Emery is anything more then a horrible goalie who should have never been brought back. Great he won the game yesterday, not because he did anything special, the Hawks scored 6 goals and had to hold on because he gave up a few howlers as usual. Nothing wrong with giving Karlsson a chance because Emery has only proven he shouldn't be in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad