Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign Michael Leighton

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Not to mention that you can always find servicable goalies

Some of us aspire for good goalies, not just serviceable.

Most people here would say that we would not have won the cup without Crawford in '13, and that he is the one who carried us past the Blues and Wild in '14. So no, I don't think it's easy to just find someone to throw back there and expect to win.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hawks don't Need to draft goalies high... draft late and hope. If not sign a finnish goalie. 1 has won a Cup as our starter and the other is currently our backup.

Not to mention that you can always find servicable goalies

Let's do it anyway. What have we got to lose that we haven't pissed away already, more high picks?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

Most people here would say that we would not have won the cup without Crawford in '13, and that he is the one who carried us past the Blues and Wild in '14. So no, I don't think it's easy to just find someone to throw back there and expect to win.
This.

As good as out D is, I counted no less than 2 own goals last year by Keith, one *very* visible one by Seabrook at the Stadium Series, and the propensity going back to 2008 and before for the D to play a bit more complacent once they become comfortable with a specific netminder over the course of about 3-4 straight starts. I could go into a long diatribe, but I'll put it like this: Goalie and Team D have to go hand in hand. If you expect the Goalie to steal games the team D is crapping the bed, and with the players the 'hawks have on D IMHO it's not acceptable. Conversely, no matter how good your D is the goalie has to make fundamental saves Crawford and Raanta tend to make them more often than not, but occasionally gimmes pass by. As this concerns the 'hawks: You can't just plug in a Huet, Turco, Boucher, Lalime, Khabi, Thibault, or Caron in and expect certain victory.

At least right now Crawford IMHO has proven himself. He's got a cup, a Jennings, and IMHO (and Kaner's too) got gypped out of a Conn Smythe. Comparing other netminders making 6M this year, his numbers and results are right about where they should be. Raanta shows a lot of promise and didn't look bad last year. Leighton is a good emergency call-up. Below that, though, the depth is pretty shallow.

Here's one about him.

I like those numbers.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Its easy to say we need to address our back up goaltending position, but with our current cap situation we are forced to develop a youngster for the position or try and get something out of a past it veteran. Niemi was forced in as a young guy and we won. Crawford was developed and we won. It has worked before. Hopefully Raanta will show the same progress and we will have a solid back up.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Its easy to say we need to address our back up goaltending position, but with our current cap situation we are forced to develop a youngster for the position or try and get something out of a past it veteran. Niemi was forced in as a young guy and we won. Crawford was developed and we won. It has worked before. Hopefully Raanta will show the same progress and we will have a solid back up.

I wasn't implying that at all. I think Raanta should be more than capable as a backup and Crawford has proven his worth. Those two as are tandem going forward is just fine.

The issue IMHO is if one of those two goes down Between Raanta and the next prospect (before Leighton was signed), the gap is huge--we're talking Rosie O'donnel huge. Much like Labarbera last year, Leighton provides a good stop-gap....just in case.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I wasn't implying that at all. I think Raanta should be more than capable as a backup and Crawford has proven his worth. Those two as are tandem going forward is just fine.

The issue IMHO is if one of those two goes down Between Raanta and the next prospect (before Leighton was signed), the gap is huge--we're talking Rosie O'donnel huge. Much like Labarbera last year, Leighton provides a good stop-gap....just in case.

Its pretty difficult to have rock solid NHL goaltenders 3 deep in the organization. We are in a similar boat to most NHL teams. Just have to hope we keep Crawford and Raanta healthy.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

We have Crawford for the next 6 years... when his time is over we will find the next goalie that is good enough to start for us. If he goes down, we are screwed either way. Same would be with about 95% of the other Teams.

Until then we go with the draft late strategy and hope it works. Maybe Simpson makes it and develops? Maybe that russian guy we just drafted? Who knows. Until then we go with a Top15 goalie that is signed for 6 more years

Leighton is a good goalie at the AHL level and he's got experience when the games matter most. For league minimum it's hard to be upset.
This. Good depth and if Need be, we don't Need to acquire a LaBarbera or Karlsson during the season again

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Its pretty difficult to have rock solid NHL goaltenders 3 deep in the organization. We are in a similar boat to most NHL teams. Just have to hope we keep Crawford and Raanta healthy.
Again, wasn't insinuating that Leighton,or for that matter Labarbera, Hutton, or the like are anywhere close to "Rock Solid". ;)

We'd still have to hope that Raanta & Crawford have to stay healthy, no doubt, But I'd rather have Leighton as our next-in-line than Carruth or Simpson. Can't speak about Darling since I've never actually seen him play.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't even want to see Simpson or Carruth play a minute of preseason hockey with this club this year. Let them split time in Toledo and unless they put up Hasek like numbers, that's it for them. If one or both does, then they can play in Rockford next year on a last chance.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
We have Crawford for the next 6 years... when his time is over we will find the next goalie that is good enough to start for us. If he goes down, we are screwed either way. Same would be with about 95% of the other Teams.

That's simply not true ... just wishful thinking. Our goaltending depth is near the bottom of the league, perhaps dead last.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That's simply not true ... just wishful thinking. Our goaltending depth is near the bottom of the league, perhaps dead last.

Thinking like that is just wrong. Having a good to very good starter with an unproven backup and a mediocre veteran playing on the farm is much preferred to having three NHL backup goalies.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I partially agree with BobbyJet on a technicality:

Crawford IMHO is paid with respect to his peers. Miller's carrer and Schneider's career (both start their new deals this year with 6M like Crawford) are on-par with Crawford's give-or-take.

Raanta last year that he proved more than capable as a backup.

From ther the depth nosedives like Geena Davis' career. Leighton IMHO was a good, cheap emergency move, but I don't hink any netminding prospects are going to sniff the NHL for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad