Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign Michael Leighton

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Goalie Guilds thoughts:

The Goalie Guild ‏@TheGoalieGuild · 1m
Signing not a knock on Darling's potential to carry heavy AHL workload. Would even venture to guess they split time. Nice tandem there.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm more than good with this. Can serve as an emergency call up if need be and helps give us options in case of a long-term injury to Crawford or if Raanta stinks up the joint and we need to rethink our backup goaltender position.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Terrible? If he's terrible he must have really improved.
Hes got an NHL career .901 save%. I was never a fan of Leighton unless you count 2010. Im not a fan of retaking ground that already been covered but at this point, he can probably help mentor Simpson and/or Carruth.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Is Darling his backup for sure or do one of the other two have a chance to snag that spot?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
At least according to ESPN Hawks on Twitter, Leighton had apparently been planning to go to the KHL this season before an unspecified illness sidelined him for about a month.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
This is very true.
At least they addressed it.

Not really. He is okay for the short term ... but ideally that spot should be occupied by a prospect ... problem is we don't have a legitimate prospect in nets. Carruth/Simpson are long shots at best to get a sniff of the NHL. Hawks need to draft more goalies in earlier rounds (after some serious scouting) in a bid to improve that depth in nets.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Not really. He is okay for the short term ... but ideally that spot should be occupied by a prospect ... problem is we don't have a legitimate prospect in nets. Carruth/Simpson are long shots at best to get a sniff of the NHL. Hawks need to draft more goalies in earlier rounds (after some serious scouting) in a bid to improve that depth in nets.

I would rather they continue to draft skaters in the early rounds and hope to hit on goalies mid to late. It's a better strategy in my opinion.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459669

TSN giving Flyer fans some heart attacks right now with headline to this story on website

:biglaugh:

Wonder when TSN staff catches mistake

I had to come here to confirm he indeed wasn't signing with the Flyers. ML is a good guy, deserves good things. Us flyers fans will gripe on him but he definitely played above his skill level and raised his game to help the flyers make the 2010 finals.

Just would've been a bad scene if he had came back to philly.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
We now have 2 very good AHL goalies, now.

Do people expect us to sign good NHL goalies at this point? Newsflash: There is none! (That are willing to play in the AHL)

Newsflash: We need one. If Crawford has an off year or goes down. The depth in goaltending with this club is close to nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad