Confirmed with Link: Hawks Sign Daniel Paille to PTO

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Whatever Stan is doing is working. I've gotten over the infatuation with the AHL tweener prospect. You show you are an NHL player early and often in that league or frankly, I'll take the known NHL commodity warts and all.

Exactly. The guys the Hawks bring up succeed a vast majority of the time. They know what they are doing. In fact they have become a victim of their own success having to move out so many young guys that price themselves off the team (Ladd, Byfuglien, Versteeg the first time, Leddy, Saad, Niemi, Smith, likely Shaw after this season).

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Well except its not. There are only so man spots on a roster. Please list all of the dynamic young players the Hawks have moved elsewhere that people were clamoring to play that has come back to haunt them. Now that is a miniscule list. People on here get their favorite prospects despite rarely watching them and then when they don't play people cry. Same story for over half a decade now and yet the Hawks keep shuttling in young players that succeed and win. They're pretty good at self scouting.

Where did I say dynamic or that they came back to haunt them? You are impossible to debate anything with :laugh:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Where did I say dynamic or that they came back to haunt them? You are impossible to debate anything with :laugh:

Then whats your point? The Hawks should call up bad players and play them because they are young? The good young players come up and play. People need to stop acting like the Hawks keep signing bad veterans that stifle all of the great young players in Rockford. If a player is still in Rockford and not on the Hawks its usually because that player isn't any good and we have 7 years of data points that shows that.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Makes sense.
I'm not sure if Paille was the move, as if he was the upgrade for Morin they weren't counting on previously for example.

Like you said, its an interesting mix. This will be the most interesting October-November for this team since 12' imo, it'll be fun being able to pay more attention to the Hawks during games than their opponent. We more or less knew what we had for so many straight years, I'm really intrigued about what the active roster is going to look like.

For me it goes back further than 2012. This is the first time in quite a while that we will have talented (yet still young and with top 6 potential) players coming here in one swoop. I’m referring to Panarin, AA and Dano in particular but I am also intrigued with the other new faces, including the PTO guys. In a way it is a good distraction from the Kane legal issues. Let’s get training camp going.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Then whats your point? The Hawks should call up bad players and play them because they are young? The good young players come up and play. People need to stop acting like the Hawks keep signing bad veterans that stifle all of the great young players in Rockford. If a player is still in Rockford and not on the Hawks its usually because that player isn't any good and we have 7 years of data points that shows that.

Probably right, but I still like to see for myself, some players get a real stint with Hawks. Players that have looked reasonably good in RFD, like Danault and McNeill as prime examples, who may prove they can raise their game when faced with the tougher competition of the NHL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Please list all of the dynamic young players the Hawks have moved elsewhere that people were clamoring to play that has come back to haunt them.
I can't think of any prospects we had for more than a full year in the AHL that we didn't give a "real chance" to that I wish we still had, let alone dynamic ones.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Honestly, I think the Hawks do a really good job of incorporating young prospects into the team while still remaining cup contenders compared to other teams. Its one thing to give young guys a shot when you have nothing to build for except the future, its another to do so while still playing for the present.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It's definitely a fine line to walk. Overall, this organization has largely done a really good job at identifying prospects worth keeping, giving them a shot, incorporating them with the big club, etc. An argument can certainly be made for some previous veteran players maybe getting too much leash and taking the spot of a prospect that could've at least gotten a cup of coffee to see what you've got in them, give them a shot, etc. but overall I think they do a really good job of making all of that work together as far as developing and giving a shot to young players while remaining a competitive Cup contender. That is not easy to do.

As far as prospects who have spent time in Rockford and have gone on to continue their careers elsewhere, not one has really made the organization regret it to this point. That very well could change in some cases over time, but as we stand today they seemingly have made the right decisions in who's been kept and has been moved or allowed to go elsewhere.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
What was the point in acquiring Morin, Tropp and Garbutt again? And trade away our best D prospects in the process, but I digress...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What was the point in acquiring Morin, Tropp and Garbutt again? And trade away our best D prospects in the process, but I digress...

Garbutt is fine. He'll be a nice contributor in the bottom 6. With Paille, we'll have some speedy forwards in the bottom 6 again who can pk. I imagine CBJ got Paliotta because CHI specifically targeted Dano and they were trying to move Kerby Rychel instead.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Garbutt is fine. He'll be a nice contributor in the bottom 6. With Paille, we'll have some speedy forwards in the bottom 6 again who can pk. I imagine CBJ got Paliotta because CHI specifically targeted Dano and they were trying to move Kerby Rychel instead.

Deal with Jackets was heavily lopsided without Dano ,, With Dano its still lopsided in Jackets favor

If the Jackets were team dictating to Bowman the terms it just shows how awful Bowman is as GM

Infact I would say end result and deal turning out to favor Jackets shows that Bowman has no idea how to properly use a great asset in trade

His handling of Sharp at draft and beyond confirms it

Terrible offseason by Bowman highlighted by 2 absolute stinker of trades. Only one of which has any redeeming value or hope of being salvaged. If Dano does not turn into a 50-60 pt winger for Hawks the trade will be an absolute loss for Hawks

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Garbutt is a solid bottom 6 player, when he's not taking idiotic penalties. He's basically on par with Shaw.

And Dallas took salary. So we got an NHL roster player at discount, after having to part with a forward.

Morin and Tropp were just to help Columbus clear salary to make the Saad trade happened. Plus, they wanted Dano along with Anisimov and by all accounts, the CBJ GM was smitten with Dano. So it took another piece to make it happen. Keep in mind that there was the ticking clock for a offer sheet.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Garbutt is a run of the mill 4th liner who is already 30 yrs old. Hawks could have found a player of his caliber in September on waiver wire or PTO route

Hawks get an overpaid 4th liner who because of Stars retaining salary is now paid accordingly to his skillset with Hawks

Morin and Tropp are garbage with no future. And neither makes much money so claim it was to clear salary for Jackets is hogwash.

And again what an absurd claim with regard to Dano. Hawks already gave up best player in deal and then a top prospect. Hawks were entitled to more then garbage back in deal. The fact Bowman couldn't get something of value like 7th round pick over those 2 bums is proof enough to his failings as GM this summer

Also the fact Stan didn't seem to shop Saad outside of a few teams is another poor strategy just as it was poor strategy to hold onto Sharp thru draft and watch his value diminish as other teams moved on to acquire top 6 wingers in weeks that followed

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Garbutt is a run of the mill 4th liner who is already 30 yrs old. Hawks could have found a player of his caliber in September on waiver wire or PTO route

Hawks get an overpaid 4th liner who because of Stars retaining salary is now paid accordingly to his skillset with Hawks

Morin and Tropp are garbage with no future. And neither makes much money so claim it was to clear salary for Jackets is hogwash.

And again what an absurd claim with regard to Dano. Hawks already gave up best player in deal and then a top prospect. Hawks were entitled to more then garbage back in deal. The fact Bowman couldn't get something of value like 7th round pick over those 2 bums is proof enough to his failings as GM this summer

Also the fact Stan didn't seem to shop Saad outside of a few teams is another poor strategy just as it was poor strategy to hold onto Sharp thru draft and watch his value diminish as other teams moved on to acquire top 6 wingers in weeks that followed
I guess run of the mill 4th liners score 30+ pts a year nowadays.

Agree about Morin and Tropp, but they were contract clearing players, and bodies for AHL.

Dano and Anisimov will be a great return for Saad if Dano continues on his path. What does a 7th round pick do for us exactly? We have enough bottom tier prospects. Bodies for AHL is much more important right now.

Stan targeted players he wanted, yes, I'm sure he didn't shop around at all. Only in your world BWC

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Deal with Jackets was heavily lopsided without Dano ,, With Dano its still lopsided in Jackets favor

If the Jackets were team dictating to Bowman the terms it just shows how awful Bowman is as GM

Infact I would say end result and deal turning out to favor Jackets shows that Bowman has no idea how to properly use a great asset in trade

Terrible offseason by Bowman highlighted by 2 absolute stinker of trades. Only one of which has any redeeming value or hope of being salvaged. If Dano does not turn into a 50-60 pt winger for Hawks the trade will be an absolute loss for Hawks

How can you actually post this?

Stan is a top 5 GM and you just can't seem to understand that. He has navigated the salary cap era better than every other gm. How do you judge that? You judge it by the number of banners that our team has raised during the era. We have more than the rest of the league, we have a solid farm system that produces what the team NEEDS, and we have 3 stars that are surrounded by young up-and-coming talent (TT, Dano, etc).

You will keep *****ing and claiming he is bad but at the end of the day it is a baseless claim from someone who blindly hates our GM.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
How can you actually post this?

Stan is a top 5 GM and you just can't seem to understand that. He has navigated the salary cap era better than every other gm. How do you judge that? You judge it by the number of banners that our team has raised during the era. We have more than the rest of the league, we have a solid farm system that produces what the team NEEDS, and we have 3 stars that are surrounded by young up-and-coming talent (TT, Dano, etc).

You will keep *****ing and claiming he is bad but at the end of the day it is a baseless claim from someone who blindly hates our GM.

Oh, come on, you're not new here.

He posts ludicrous **** like this all the time. :laugh:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Dano will turn into a 45-50 point winger with the Hawks by the time his ELC is up or just after he reups on bridge if he's getting top 6 minutes with Kane line or Toews line. Saad got so overrated on this board. He had less points than Sharp in the playoffs, who most deemed as being "not very special" this past year. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts with the Saad deal. We filled two holes for the same amount of money as Saad's extension. We got an upgrade at 2C and a young, cheap, former 1st round pick winger with top 6 upside who has produced in his first 35 games in the NHL.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
In this back and white world many seem to live in, Saad is either great or he is mediocre.

Truth is, he was real good for Hawks and we don't know how high his upside is. Like most people, I was shocked when the deal was announced but in hindsight Hawks may have just won that trade. Time (and only time) will reveal which team got the better of the Saad trade.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
My problem with Stan this year is what got back next to nothing in each trade and gave up the best player in every deal. Sharp and Johns and got back Garbutt and daley. Isn't Garbutt, Desjarden and Paille a bit redundant and if you take away Daley salary we probably keep JO. Also if you are telling me at the draft the best deal we could get for Steeg was giving up a 3rd? Both those guys should have been moved at the draft and before FA.

If in 5 trades we gave up the better player in every deal you cannot look at this as a good summer. Stan has been fine in general but teows, Kane, Keith, Hammer, Seabs, Ladd, Buff, Bolland, Steeg, Craw all had nothing to do with him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
My problem with Stan this year is what got back next to nothing in each trade and gave up the best player in every deal. .

Name a cap clearing trade where a team didn't give up the best player in the deal.

Look at 2010 offseason, Buff, Ladd, Versteeg, (got nothing for Niemi), etc. Year after that was Campbell for Olesz. That's the way it goes in a cap world. We are never going to trade a high salaried player and get a better player back in return making less money. It doesn't make any sense to think like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad