GDT: Hawks @ Jackets 6pm NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Agree with the busy schedule and sitting him when his performance starts to slip for consecutive shifts, but I don't agree to sit him coz we have others vying for time too. Reward the best playing young guy.
I don't agree that Mitchell has been our best young guy. It might be a 3 way tie between him, Boqvist, and Beaudin. Boqvist had time off due to getting Covid, Beaudin's sat 9 out of 20, and yet Mitchell has played every game so far.

Even if you think Mitchell has been the best of the trio and don't believe he's shown signs of wearing down over the past few games, you have to acknowledge that this season, with the games all so bunched up together, he won't (or at least shouldn't) be playing 56 games this season.

It's the same reason Subban is starting tonight. Colliton knows who the better netminder is, but he understands that he can't overplay Lankinen so he's giving Subban a shot. All I'm saying is to do that with Mitchell/Beaudin a bit.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Hawks lines

Cat Suter Kane
Janmark Soderberg Kubalik
Hagel Wallmark Kurashev
Highmore Kampf Carpenter

Keith Mitchell
Zadorov Murphy
De Hann Boqvist

Subban/Delia

Jackets lines

Laine Roslovic Atkinson
Jenner Texier Foligno
Grigorenko Stenuland Bjorkstrand
Robinson Nash Domi

Werenski Jones
Gavrikov Savard
Carlsson Del Zotto

Korpisalo

Hawks line might change but Subban is starting. Tighten up fellas but these have been some fun games to watch against the jackets.
Am I missing something?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't agree that Mitchell has been our best young guy. It might be a 3 way tie between him, Boqvist, and Beaudin. Boqvist had time off due to getting Covid, Beaudin's sat 9 out of 20, and yet Mitchell has played every game so far.

Even if you think Mitchell has been the best of the trio and don't believe he's shown signs of wearing down over the past few games, you have to acknowledge that this season, with the games all so bunched up together, he won't (or at least shouldn't) be playing 56 games this season.

It's the same reason Subban is starting tonight. Colliton knows who the better netminder is, but he understands that he can't overplay Lankinen so he's giving Subban a shot. All I'm saying is to do that with Mitchell/Beaudin a bit.

All 3 have had issues as expected for young guys in the back end... but so far Beaudin has been noticeably better than Mitchell. Boqvist has been hampered by Covid and/or injury and he did have a pretty good outing last game. He seems to me to be getting stronger on the puck - stronger than I expected at this stage. Hopefully, that progress will continue.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
So anyone think Savard will get taken to town sometime in the third?

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

Ok I agree with that logic, especially in the condensed schedule. To me Mitchell has been the most consistently good with the least amount of mistakes, but if we are sitting him only after his slip begins, it's prolly too late. At least being proactive should be better I guess, for confidence and development, so I don't mind a few scratches for those reasons.

Let's see how JC thinks.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
All 3 have had issues as expected for young guys in the back end... but so far Beaudin has been noticeably better than Mitchell. Boqvist has been hampered by Covid and/or injury and he did have a pretty good outing last game. He seems to me to be getting stronger on the puck - stronger than I expected at this stage. Hopefully, that progress will continue.
Mitchell/Boqvist/Beaudin are all young undersized defenders and it should be expected that they occasionally look lost in their own end.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Boqvist isn’t really undersized.
Really? He has some strength issues as it was said in some article/video somewhere that he didn't really have access to world class training facilities until after he got drafted. I guess he's from some very small town in Sweden.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Really? He has some strength issues as it was said in some article/video somewhere that he didn't really have access to world class training facilities until after he got drafted. I guess he's from some very small town in Sweden.

All stupid excuses. Jordin Tootoo (no defenseman but 5'9) is from Nunavut. How many great training facilities do you think they have there? More than the Swedes?:laugh:

In Sweden, he played in Gävle, which is by no means a small city and pretty close from the countries biggest cities. Even if there, for some reason, is absolutely no useful training facility (which is essentially impossible and a quick google search shows a lots of results) you can drive to Stockholm in less than 90' and to Uppsala well within an hour. Train ride to Uppsala, Swedens 4th biggest city, is also just 1 hour.

Also, lack of size doesn't mean you can't play big. 5'11 Connor Clifton is currently one of the NHL's most efficient hitters. 5'11 Keith Ballard was one of the most dangerous hitters a few years back. You better had your head up when he was on the ice.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
All stupid excuses. Jordin Tootoo (no defenseman but 5'9) is from Nunavut. How many great training facilities do you think they have there? More than the Swedes?:laugh:

In Sweden, he played in Gävle, which is by no means a small city and pretty close from the countries biggest cities. Even if there, for some reason, is absolutely no useful training facility (which is essentially impossible and a quick google search shows a lots of results) you can drive to Stockholm in less than 90' and to Uppsala well within an hour. Train ride to Uppsala, Swedens 4th biggest city, is also just 1 hour.

Also, lack of size doesn't mean you can't play big. 5'11 Connor Clifton is currently one of the NHL's most efficient hitters. 5'11 Keith Ballard was one of the most dangerous hitters a few years back. You better had your head up when he was on the ice.

Just dumb examples

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just dumb examples

Care to explain?

Generally, SHL is no bush league. So where there's an SHL club there are good training facilities. Had he played for a minor club far up north I'd have understood but Gävle is a big city and right to the country's biggest cities. Anyone claiming that you can't access good training facilities there either doesn't have a clue or is looking for excuses. Sorry.

Also, being undersized doesn't mean you can't play big. I don't like smallish defensemen either but if they play Clifton or Ballard I don't see the problem.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just my opinion but the shine has started to come off of Mitchell lately. If anyone could sit it might be him. Boqvist has looked really good in 2/3 games since returning from Covid, and to be fair to him the entire team was a tire fire against the Hurricanes.

Mitchell confirmed to have a multi point game tonight and 3-4 outstanding defensive plays.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Strength issues are not being undersized. He is 6' based on seeing him next to other players and he has added some weight. Undersized is 5'9"-5'10" and below imo.

He is still developing and he did not start seriously training as early as most. What matters now is that is putting in the work and he is already noticeably strong compared to last season.

Certain countries and programs have their prospect training sooner than others.

Boqvist is also one of the younger draft prospects which has an impact as well.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don’t really see strength issues with Boqvist. When he engages along the boards it’s not like he’s being tossed around like a rag doll or anything.... which is impressive for a kid of his age.

He first stride or two do worry me for an offensive defenseman, though.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Strength issues are not being undersized. He is 6' based on seeing him next to other players and he has added some weight. Undersized is 5'9"-5'10" and below imo.

He is still developing and he did not start seriously training as early as most. What matters now is that is putting in the work and he is already noticeably strong compared to last season.

Certain countries and programs have their prospect training sooner than others.

Boqvist is also one of the younger draft prospects which has an impact as well.

For defensemen, I think anything under 6-1 is undersized but that's just me. I don't disagree with anything else you said.

5-10 or shorter is undersized anywhere on the ice. I think the threshold is a couple inches higher for defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad