GDT: Hawks @ Ducks 2 PM - The Euro Friendly Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buda

Nov 1, 2002
So glad I stayed up till 2am to watch this... NOT. I swear, every time I manage to watch a Ducks game they somehow **** it up. I'll pass next time, sleep is better than getting all nervous at 2am -.-

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Just forced myself watching the last 5 min + OT. This team is so frustrating to watch and cheer for.

Getzlaf was doing good on the OT, creating chances and getting possession... until that s*** hard pass right into Perry's skates. I don't know how he misplayed it so bad, they were like 3 feet away from each other. Hawks clear and it's Getzlaf behind the net opening the play. Makes a crap pass to Lindholm off the sideboards, which he can't reach and that was the last time anyone of the Ducks touched the puck. Lindholm and Hagelin defended the attack pretty bad and it all started from Lindholm looking like he didn't know where to be.

That was just the end... I think we lost the game even before that, but that's where it all materialized. I'm not sure this group is able to figure it out without personnel changes, whatever they may be.

Good game by Gibson. I'm sure there were a few others too.

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
So glad I stayed up till 2am to watch this... NOT. I swear, every time I manage to watch a Ducks game they somehow **** it up. I'll pass next time, sleep is better than getting all nervous at 2am -.-

Well you'll smarten up. I went to bed after the 2:0, I had a feeling we'd lose this one too. When I woke up I wasn't even surprised that they **** the bed in the last 2 minutes in regulation. Typical.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
People claimed shootouts were nothing but skill competitions but how is a 3v3 any different? They're nothing but trading breakaways and 2 on 1s. There's no strategy or defense that goes into it.

You're kidding yourself if you think there is not a ton of strategy involved in 3 on 3 play.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
There's a ton of strategy in a shootout too. It is also a gimmick.
3 on 3 is a gimmick but it's also way more exciting and representative of the skill level of what pro-level players can accomplish than most all of the current NHL 5 on 5.

Ramenbot

May 2, 2010
Burbank
Being a gimmick isn't a bad thing. The NHL is entertainment before anything else and 3-3 is certainly fun to watch.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Shootouts are a skills contest...At least 3 on 3 looks like hockey.

It might look like hockey, but it doesn't look like good hockey. Or professional hockey. It's as much a gimmick as the shootout.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
All the forwards started standing around the last 5 min of game. Constant icings... Just watching the hawks skate around.

Every time one of our guys would get the puck in the corner (last 5 minutes) no one would be open or moving. Very frustrating.

Worst part of the game is seeing the fair weather Chi fans fill the pond acting like they're hardcore. Going to 2 games a year is really hard. :sarcasm: I don't remember any of them in the early 2000s. At least Kings fans are consistent with their coming to games.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
So I've come across some news that I feel every Ducks fan should know about in regards to the massive disappointment that has been the 2015-2016 season.

As we all know, yesterday, the Ducks played one hell of a game for 58 minutes against the defending cup champions only to choke it all away.....again, against the same team they choked against in game 7 last season in the WCF. Not only this was their chance to avenge that disheartening game 7 loss that sent them home and ruined the Ducks best chance in a while at winning a cup, it was their chance to maybe, just maybe light a fire under the players' rear ends and finally start winning consistently, what this team should have been doing from day one.

Well the news I've received from a reliable source definitely made me, and will probably make others seriously question the mindset of this current group. A good friend of mine, a huge Ducks fan who lives in the Newport Beach area and runs into Ducks players all the time told me that last night he witnessed a group of Ducks players including Corey Perry and Ryan Kesler partying hard at a well known bar in the area. They were accompanied by some of the younger Ducks, Ritchie and Hagelin to name a few.

To me, this news makes me very upset. This team has just come off another devastating chokejob and yet another loss and instead of regrouping as a team and moving on, they go out partying? What makes me even more upset is that the supposed "leaders" of this team in Perry and Kesler are part of this. Is that the example that they should be setting for the young players? Does Bruce know about this and if so, he's ok with this? Especially when it comes to Ritchie, the future of this team who isn't even 21 and shouldn't be at a bar in the first place. The only good news that came out of this was that at least Getzlaf wasn't spotted at the bar. Maybe our captain is the only one who cares about winning, although his piss-poor season and recent whining sure says otherwise. I highly doubt Bruce would be ok with this but hey, maybe he's just doesn't care anymore either which would be a clear sign that he's lost the team much like Carlyle did and that a new voice is needed to right the ship.

Apparently, the group of Ducks weren't on their best behavior either. Kesler, in particular, was spotted doing disrespectful dances on top of a table and my friend described the group of Ducks as being very loud and rude. They eventually made their way behind the bar where they continued to drink hard, despite being violently inebriated. Yes, these are grown men (besides Ritchie) and I know they are free to do whatever the hell they want. But with the way last season ended and the way this season has been going, I'm really questioning if this group even cares anymore. The Ducks are the team many picked to at least make the cup finals but at this point, the playoffs are looking like a longshot the way they've been playing. Maybe if this was last season, this wouldn't be a big deal but hearing about this really makes me doubt if this team even cares about winning.

Anyways, your thoughts on this matter?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Shootouts are a skills contest...At least 3 on 3 looks like hockey.

A shootout is at least a fair skills contest. 3v3 is just who screws up first/worst. I didn't like it when the Ducks were doing well with it in preseason and I don't like it now.

I also don't think it looks like hockey. I've seen exponentially more penalty shots in hockey games than 3v3's.

Oct 18, 2011
So I've come across some news that I feel every Ducks fan should know about in regards to the massive disappointment that has been the 2015-2016 season.

As we all know, yesterday, the Ducks played one hell of a game for 58 minutes against the defending cup champions only to choke it all away.....again, against the same team they choked against in game 7 last season in the WCF. Not only this was their chance to avenge that disheartening game 7 loss that sent them home and ruined the Ducks best chance in a while at winning a cup, it was their chance to maybe, just maybe light a fire under the players' rear ends and finally start winning consistently, what this team should have been doing from day one.

Well the news I've received from a reliable source definitely made me, and will probably make others seriously question the mindset of this current group. A good friend of mine, a huge Ducks fan who lives in the Newport Beach area and runs into Ducks players all the time told me that last night he witnessed a group of Ducks players including Corey Perry and Ryan Kesler partying hard at a well known bar in the area. They were accompanied by some of the younger Ducks, Ritchie and Hagelin to name a few.

To me, this news makes me very upset. This team has just come off another devastating chokejob and yet another loss and instead of regrouping as a team and moving on, they go out partying? What makes me even more upset is that the supposed "leaders" of this team in Perry and Kesler are part of this. Is that the example that they should be setting for the young players? Does Bruce know about this and if so, he's ok with this? Especially when it comes to Ritchie, the future of this team who isn't even 21 and shouldn't be at a bar in the first place. The only good news that came out of this was that at least Getzlaf wasn't spotted at the bar. Maybe our captain is the only one who cares about winning, although his piss-poor season and recent whining sure says otherwise. I highly doubt Bruce would be ok with this but hey, maybe he's just doesn't care anymore either which would be a clear sign that he's lost the team much like Carlyle did and that a new voice is needed to right the ship.

Apparently, the group of Ducks weren't on their best behavior either. Kesler, in particular, was spotted doing disrespectful dances on top of a table and my friend described the group of Ducks as being very loud and rude. They eventually made their way behind the bar where they continued to drink hard, despite being violently inebriated. Yes, these are grown men (besides Ritchie) and I know they are free to do whatever the hell they want. But with the way last season ended and the way this season has been going, I'm really questioning if this group even cares anymore. The Ducks are the team many picked to at least make the cup finals but at this point, the playoffs are looking like a longshot the way they've been playing. Maybe if this was last season, this wouldn't be a big deal but hearing about this really makes me doubt if this team even cares about winning.

You are upset people are trying to enjoy their time away from work after a tough day?

Pretty sure people in all facets of life do this, you are totally overreacting.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
A shootout is at least a fair skills contest. 3v3 is just who screws up first/worst. I didn't like it when the Ducks were doing well with it in preseason and I don't like it now.

I also don't think it looks like hockey. I've seen exponentially more penalty shots in hockey games than 3v3's.

Wasn't there just a game where the 1st 9(!) guys scored in the shootout? That's hockey alright.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Enlighten me then. What is this great strategy going into 3v3?

Score quickly. Try not to give up the puck.

Really, I don't think there is a ton of strategy. 3 on 3 involves trading chances. That's been a consistent theme. The teams that win just seem to find ways to make the most of their scoring chances. Like 4 on 4, you don't want to be giving up possession by dumping it in, but there are less passing options, less outlets, and if you're trying to score you're leaving yourself exposed to get scored on.

At some point, the number of players on the ice, and the size of the ice surface(which is rather spacious in 3 on 3 hockey) starts removing options. You know what it reminds me of? A weaving drill.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
People are actually trying to argue against a guy that said there is strategy in 3v3? :laugh:

The fact that you guys are so mad about 3v3 hockey that you'd even suggest that 5v5 has strategy but removing 2 people from each team and the strategy goes away is hilarious.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004

Even if it went the way you heard it, which I don't really have difficulty believing other than this just being hearsay, I don't think it's a big deal. They don't have a game tomorrow, and from the perspective of an outsider they don't seem to have the best chemistry or mental strength as a group right now. It might not be a bad idea to take a team building night and try to loosen up, it's not worse than moping at home and wallowing in their own misery. If it takes a few too many tequilas for them to get together and hopefully bond closer together, so be it.

DaDucks*

The ducks going out to party in Newport under any circumstance, is nothing new. (Including involving the under age guys)

I wouldn't be surprised if they have made it a Black Friday post game tradition, regardless of the outcome of the game.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
I ran into kesler, beleskey, and wiz last year at a club right after the regular season ended. Beleskey was and kesler were literally feeling each other up when posing for pics and kesler even nut tapped him haha. I begged kesler not to lose to LA in the playoffs and he said "yeah that's not happening"

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I could care less about drinking after a game. In my job, it's a regular thing to go grab a few drinks after a long shift or week. I would venture a bet that a lot of people grab a drink after work.

As long as they are not showing up drunk or hung over for games and practices.

It's not like they are the kings and their notorious Party habits.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It's whatever.

It'd be cool if they appeared to take the losses a bit harder, but I'm not going to take the morally superior stance and say I wouldn't be off doing the same thing if I was rich and famous. I'm surprised most of these guys get married while they're still playing honestly. IMO Jagr really has it figured out as far as that goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad