GDT: Hawks @ Caps WINTER CLASSIC | 1/1/15 | 1:00 EST | NBC/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Congrats to the Caps. Don't have a problem with their post-game celly one bit. Was a very close competitive game and a clutch win for them against a good team in an exciting setting. Probably the best actual hockey game I can remember in a Winter Classic event.

Refs had a rough 3rd. Both ways.

Hope Versteeg isn't banged up too badly.

I felt in my gut that chance Versteeg had in the 2nd period in front of the net with the puck bouncing over his stick for the tap-in attempt was his best chance to get his 3rd career outside goal and that would have put the Hawks up 3-2. Feel like missing there and the unconverted 5 on 3 is the reason for the loss more than the weird Toews hook call at the end. Just had hoped the Hawks would get at least 1 point out of this.

Hope Crow gets his ish together and returns to his pre-concert incident form once he doesn't have the Epix cameras bothering him. Should have had that last stop but it was a weird play with Ovi dancing around distracting things over his stick being broken.

Just another reminder of how frustrating Trotz teams could be for the Hawks. Glad he's gone from the Central. Good luck to the Caps the rest of the way. They have a lot of likable guys on the Epix show.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Lo siento, "one of the most"?

I don't remember everyone getting so bent out of shape over officiating in the past.

I don't know. I don't think it was too controversial. I think this forum is up in arms about it. I would say that the 2012 penalty shot and trip/embellishment calls were more controversial than these. That's just me. Doesn't mean the calls and noncalls weren't a little strange though for sure.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Hawks speed draws penalties and their discipline keeps them out of the box. This is nothing new. Don't commit penalties and you won't be on the PK.

I agree with the speed drawing penalties, but disagree that the Hawks are a particularly disciplined team.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Nobody in a hawks uni played well. Fellow Hawks fans can blame the refs on that Toews call, but they lost that game cause the collectively played like crap.

Sharp and Seabrooke both looked great to me. The Hawks as a team looked steady and calm as they usually do. Washington is a different team now, and are clearly getting better.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'll say again:

Any more discussions about other teams fans or "you mad" posts will have the poster infracted and removed from the thread entirely.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Nobody in a hawks uni played well. Fellow Hawks fans can blame the refs on that Toews call, but they lost that game cause the collectively played like crap.
Imho, the problem with this call is the timing and the nature of the so-called penalty. The call was bush league and in the last minute of a 2-2 tie?!? You can argue about how the 'Hawks were having calls (and non-calls) go their way but the game was tied. Then a horrendous call is given for a very suspect infraction (if any). I would have said exactly the same if it went the other way. Imho, Hawks fans have every right to complain regardless of what went on before.

An obvious infraction had to occur for such a call to be made at such a time in the game, imho.

Btw, the Hawks have one of the most popular (if not the most) jerseys in the League and don't mess with the original designs very often (they don't have to). Why didn't Wash. just modify their originals (i.e. mid-70s era) a bit instead of the borefest they released - not to mention a different shade of red? Oh well....

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Chicago lost by 1 goal on a somewhat bizarre play right at the end of regulation. The Hawks didn't "play like crap" good grief.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
You guys are ridiculous. The Hawks got away with many calls, notably Toews. That guy was hacking and whacking players hands and legs all game. He finally got called for a penalty in the end and it was a much deserved PP. It wasn't even only Caps fans who were complaining.

Officiating aside, it was a great game to watch.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

I think Sharp played well. Not really understanding why he wasn't moved up to the 2nd line immediately when Versteeg went down. Seabrook continued his recent stretch of good play too IMO.

Hawks need to get their PP issues figured out. And while the Hawks have no excuse for not taking advantage of those PP opportunities, the fact that so many went unconverted and that the PPs and PKs were imbalanced throughout the game messed with the flow of the Hawks lines quite a bit IMO.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
You guys are ridiculous. The Hawks got away with many calls, notably Toews. That guy was hacking and whacking players hands and legs all game. He finally got called for a penalty in the end and it was a much deserved PP. It wasn't even only Caps fans who were complaining.

Officiating aside, it was a great game to watch.

Yes. I think that it was just a more... questionable call because of the time left. The officiating was questionable in most of if not all areas today, but the game itself was fun.

Phelan

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Meanwhile we'll pretend like the captain of the Caps didn't spend the closing seconds of that powerplay with his arms in the air gawking at the ref looking for a call...a call that was already being made...

Say what you want about Toews but I've never seen him take himself out of the play to whine about a call like Ovechkin did.

Seemed to work better than a screen.:laugh:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Yes. I think that it was just a more... questionable call because of the time left. The officiating was questionable in most of if not all areas today, but the game itself was fun.

The Hawks had a PP right before that...so I don't see how the timing was unfair.Not to mention they had plenty of other PP chances to put the Caps away earlier...yet it's somehow unfair when the Caps finally get a PP because it's late?

Jaraco

Mar 13, 2014
California
Great game.

Refs sucked, but if you're an NHL fan you're used to it by now.

Every other team in the league would have celebrated the same way that the Caps did given the way it all ended.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The Hawks had a PP right before that...so I don't see how the timing was unfair.Not to mention they had plenty of other PP chances to put the Caps away earlier...yet it's somehow unfair when the Caps finally get a PP because it's late?

Where did I say it was or wasn't unfair? I don't think you are interpreting my post correctly. I said questionable. So where did I insinuate unfairness?

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Was a weak call at the end but doesn't surprise me that it was called. Too much crap went uncalled on the hawks all game. What was a penalty against the caps, wasn't a penalty for the hawks. The capitals got one break from the refs, while the hawks got multiple. Capitals took advantage, while the hawks didn't. Deserved win for the caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad