GDT: Hawks @ Caps WINTER CLASSIC | 1/1/15 | 1:00 EST | NBC/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I disagree. I actually was at the Wash-Pit outdoor game in Pa. a few years back and they did the same thing then, celebrated like the Cup had been won. I understand it's a good spectacle and today they were at home of course, but it's still just two points.

I'm in the DC area and it's typical of the Caps, they look great for stretches of the regular season and everyone gets excited, then of course when the playoffs roll around, they can't get past Round 2. Same stuff every year, if they even manage to make the playoffs.

Great game though, the ice was terrific.

What do you expect? These Winter Calssic Championships are basically the biggest NHL accomplishment they've had in their franchises existence.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Just wanted to quickly compliment Hawks fans at how cool you guys were at the game - good sportsmanship, true hockey fans, all reasonable adults. Sat near a huge chunk of ya'll in Section 102.

Any pics from the event itself? I'd love to see some.

Its funny to see the Hawks fans complaining about the Toews call (granted they have a legit gripe) with how much powerplay time they had throughout the game before the Capitals finally got some calls. I thought it was a really good game all things considered, fun to watch for someone with no dog in the fight. Looked like a blast.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Wasn't expecting much to be honest and was pleasantly entertained. Great game and great event. Well done Washington.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
For much of the game, it seemed both teams were playing at a nice pace, focused on the two points. It seemed to be what you'd want these outdoor games to evolve into over time: less novelty, and more intensity. It even got a little chippy at times. There were very good ice conditions, great weather in the 40-45F/5C range -- particularly once the shadows were no longer factors by the end of the first period. DC can easily be warmer and rainy, much as was Pittsburgh in the 2011 Winter Classic, so that was good to see.

Gradually, the officiating deteriorated and it seemed to take over the game. I thought the Caps committed some clear infractions, particularly hits from behind along the boards. You have to call those, and you have to lay off those hits. Yet beyond those automatic calls, the officials failed to successfully convey what would or would not be permissible. It's fine to call the game close, or to let everything go, as long as there is consistency so that the teams can adjust.

Caps partisans charged that the Blackhawks were not getting called for the ticky tacky stuff for which the Caps were going to the box; errors of omission on the part of officials. Chicago partisans charged that the late holding call on Toews was a blatant makeup, from officials who had let the game get away from them. Both sides have a point, I think.

NHL fans are used to inconsistent officiating, though. Special teams ended up being decisive in an uneven game. The Caps have a dreadful PK (77.8 percent, 25th in the league this year) but they fared well today, especially when down two men. The PP was solid as usual in going one for three. That's the game. Chicago lost by not burying its earlier chances, going one for six.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Hawks played down to their competition and lost because of it. Pretty simple. Washington played well and they deserve credit for winning the game, but it's clear only one team showed up to play today and that was Washington.

Bad loss, and I hate these kinds of games where the Hawks aren't out there to play for 3 periods. They always result in a loss because the Hawks think they can just skate and win games without putting in 100% effort as a collective team.

I suppose the Hawks played down to the Caps level when they lost in Chicago in November too, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00