Confirmed with Link: Hawks acquire Handzus

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I know most people hated Kruger last year, but does anyone still feel that way? He's been fantastic all year outside of some boneheaded plays here and there. If he gets better at faceoffs and a little stronger on the puck (needs to take lessons from Toews and Hoss) he's going to be a hell of a player.

Most people are ok with Kruger since he isn't the #2C this year. Now that he is properly slotted, you don't have people complaining about him.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Few hated Kruger, most did get sick of talking about him sI much, especially as a 2C.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Few hated Kruger, most did get sick of talking about him sI much, especially as a 2C.

We must be remembering that differently because it seemed like many people hated his play no matter where he was slotted in the lineup.

A lot of people were saying he'd never stick in North America at all.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
We must be remembering that differently because it seemed like many people hated his play no matter where he was slotted in the lineup.

I didn't hate Kruger I just hated Kruger at #2 C, similar with Bolland. I love Bolland, just not in his current role.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Maybe. I remember 3 or 4 guys talking a lot and 3 or 4 always ******** on Vik.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm hoping for:
Saad - Toews - Hossa
Stalberg - Sharp - Kane
Shaw - Bolland - Bickell
Handzus - Kruger - Frolik

or

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Bolland - Kane
Stalberg - Kruger - Bickell
Shaw - Handzus - Frolik

I like a bit more toughness in the lineup for the playoffs, so for me it would be:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Morin - Sharp - Kane
Stalberg - Bolland - Bickell
Shaw - Handzus - Frolik
Carcillo

Carcillo to me is a must for the playoffs, he is a pest and a warrior out there...Morin jumps into the lineup because he plays with grit too, and kids like this always seem to find ways to score big goals come playoff time for us...see Ben Smith

Kruger, Bollig, and Mayers waiting in the wings incase of injury or rotate Kruger in with Handzus if it is a less physical team we are playing as Handzus wont throw his body around, but he wont get bounced around like a pinball either.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
still have the feeling a few guys hope that Krüger sucks just that they can say they were right....

Krüger will not be the odd man out. Bowman likes him, more important - Q likes him

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Handzus had a very solid game. Might we have a new third line as well? Handzus, Bickell and Stalberg are 3 large bodies that could provide a very effective cycle.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'm one of Frolik's biggest supporters, but if he didn't play a couple games on the 1st line, I don't think anyone would take Kruger out in favor of Fro.

Handzus was quite good last night, given what the likely low expectations from this board were of him heading into the game. He wasn't painfully slow, had at least one good hit that I can remember, and was dominant on draws.

Definitely wouldn't mind seeing these lines once Sharp gets back:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Bolland - Kane
Bickell - Handsuz - Stalberg
Shaw - Kruger - Frolik

And, if Sharp goes back to centre:

Stalberg - Toews - Kane
Saad - Sharp - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Handsuz
Shaw - Kruger - Frolik

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
I'm one of Frolik's biggest supporters, but if he didn't play a couple games on the 1st line, I don't think anyone would take Kruger out in favor of Fro.

Handzus was quite good last night, given what the likely low expectations from this board were of him heading into the game. He wasn't painfully slow, had at least one good hit that I can remember, and was dominant on draws.

Definitely wouldn't mind seeing these lines once Sharp gets back:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Bolland - Kane
Bickell - Handsuz - Stalberg
Shaw - Kruger - Frolik

And, if Sharp goes back to centre:

Stalberg - Toews - Kane
Saad - Sharp - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Handsuz
Shaw - Kruger - Frolik

The first lineup is the one I think you'll see come playoff time. Shaw and Handsuz will be interchangeable depending on the situation and dynamics in the game. While I would like Sharp at center, it throws off some of the balance in the lineup and forces other players to positions they haven't played this year. That said, if 2C becomes an issue in the playoffs or appears to be a bigger issue heading into the playoffs, I say we roll the dice and move Sharp to 2C and Bolland to 3C for the playoff push.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't think Handzus will play on any line above the 4th for more than 1 period. Keep him where he fits.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't think Handzus will play on any line above the 4th for more than 1 period. Keep him where he fits.

I agree. I don't want this guy getting overplayed nor do I see any reason for it, especially after only one game. I like him as a 4th liner and he fills a role we needed. Try to keep him in that role.

Kane At Mifflin

Jan 24, 2012
I agree. I don't want this guy getting overplayed nor do I see any reason for it, especially after only one game. I like him as a 4th liner and he fills a role we needed. Try to keep him in that role.

Reminds me of Madden's role quite a bit. Outlier in terms of speed relative to rest of team, but there for key faceoffs and occasionally work on special teams.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Reminds me of Madden's role quite a bit. Outlier in terms of speed relative to rest of team, but there for key faceoffs and occasionally work on special teams.

Yes, agreed and it's been missing since he left. Granted, Johnson was unreal on faceoffs but that was about it. Zues provides the versatility in that role that Madden did and the lack of speed will not affect the team game from the 4th line, like you alluded to. Move him up and the downside may at least neutralize the benefit.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Handzus was excellent last night.

The man won faceoffs for the love of God!! And did it with ease. He was brought in for that specific role as well as adding another solid PKer.

I was also in shock as to how well he was moving out there. He flew into the boards in the third period, missed his hit, but damn he tried to clobber the Blues player! He also had a beautiful near break away where he hovered around the blueline waiting for the breakout pass and took it all in stride sending him in on a glorious chance...dude impressed me, just stay healthy and play anywhere near that the rest of the year and he will be a Godsend to this team!

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Sharks fans scouting report wasn't right... he wasn't as slow as said and he wasn't useless. If he keeps this up, he is 1000 times more worth than any 4th rounder

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks fans scouting report wasn't right... he wasn't as slow as said and he wasn't useless. If he keeps this up, he is 1000 times more worth than any 4th rounder

Oh no, he'll have a few good games where he looks like a legit third line center, but he's not consistent and is usually bad. That or the change of scenery helped him.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Plus, it would look really bad if Bowman made a move to acquire Handsuz, and he actually excelled in Chicago. It might suggest, somehow, that Bomwan knows what he's doing.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I like a bit more toughness in the lineup for the playoffs, so for me it would be:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Morin - Sharp - Kane
Shaw - Handzus - Frolik
Carcillo

Carcillo to me is a must for the playoffs, he is a pest and a warrior out there...Morin jumps into the lineup because he plays with grit too, and kids like this always seem to find ways to score big goals come playoff time for us...see Ben Smith

Kruger, Bollig, and Mayers waiting in the wings incase of injury or rotate Kruger in with Handzus if it is a less physical team we are playing as Handzus wont throw his body around, but he wont get bounced around like a pinball either.

Good thing you're not in charge.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Morin - Sharp - Kane
Shaw - Handzus - Frolik
Carcillo

I like this, Sharp is a good C and he + Morin basically means two snipers on Kane's line, I think the chemistry would be there right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad