Blue Jays Discussion: Haven't Won the World Series yet? Cut everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I have a feeling Estrada is not going to be very good for us. Just a feeling I have. He does not instill confidence in me

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I wonder how much is cost the Jays organization to have the stadium ready for this series (and last year too)?

That turf looks fairly new. It's been years since Olympic Stadium was used regularly (perhaps I'm wrong and it is used fairly regularly for other purposes).

Seems like putting in turf, preparing the stadium and making sure everything was up-to-date (in term of food and drink service - I mean, there are health regulations to follow) represents a pretty significant amount of money for a couple of spring training games each year.

It really shows something about the Blue Jays organization (they clearly value the Montreal market and believe it would be good for them and baseball to have a permanent team there - even if it means competition on TV, etc) that they would make an investment in this kind of series.

They could have just as easily held this two games at Rogers Centre and sold a bunch of tickets, beers, food, etc.

They clearly believe it's good business to keep Montreal on MLB's radar.

I'm pretty sure the Jays are getting a healthy cut from the ticket sales and beer/food sales as well. Agree with you on all points.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
"That was Jon Diaz in right" - Buck

Ummm, didn't realize we had a guy named Jon Diaz. Pretty sure that was Steve Tolleson. But hey, 0 for 2 names ain't bad. I like the strategy of picking 2 players and using 1 name from each. Increases you chances of getting 1 right.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I wonder how much is cost the Jays organization to have the stadium ready for this series (and last year too)?

That turf looks fairly new. It's been years since Olympic Stadium was used regularly (perhaps I'm wrong and it is used fairly regularly for other purposes).

Seems like putting in turf, preparing the stadium and making sure everything was up-to-date (in term of food and drink service - I mean, there are health regulations to follow) represents a pretty significant amount of money for a couple of spring training games each year.

It really shows something about the Blue Jays organization (they clearly value the Montreal market and believe it would be good for them and baseball to have a permanent team there - even if it means competition on TV, etc) that they would make an investment in this kind of series.

They could have just as easily held this two games at Rogers Centre and sold a bunch of tickets, beers, food, etc.

They clearly believe it's good business to keep Montreal on MLB's radar.

True. Would be a neat rivalry as well. Everybody knows that if Montréal comes back, they are playing in the AL East. Reason why the Rays in MOntreal makes a whole lot of sense.

Thing though, is that somehow, I don't believe it yet. A whole lot of money implications. This province is short on money, there's just no way I see the government giving 1$ to this team in any form. At best, they'd sell the land for the new stadium for that 1$ but that's about it. So I'm not expecting anything soon but then the Rays might have moved already....Anyway, we'll see. There's nothing like recreating this rivalry in baseball as well.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
"That was Jon Diaz in right" - Buck

Ummm, didn't realize we had a guy named Jon Diaz. Pretty sure that was Steve Tolleson. But hey, 0 for 2 names ain't bad. I like the strategy of picking 2 players and using 1 name from each. Increases you chances of getting 1 right.

We have a Jonathan Diaz... he's currently the guy in my avatar :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We have a Jonathan Diaz... he's currently the guy in my avatar :laugh:

damn lol. I knew that. The "Jon" made me think Jon Berti, maybe because of the conversation earlier in the thread. When the refer to Diaz they always say Jonathan so that must be why that didn't click. He still got it wrong :p:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm pretty sure the Jays are getting a healthy cut from the ticket sales and beer/food sales as well. Agree with you on all points.

No doubt. The whole reason you do a series like this is the revenue opportunities.

But I wonder how the relationship between the team and the stadium works? I'm not even sure who owns Olympic Stadium. I assume it's the City of Montreal and I doubt the city would put much investment into getting it ready for a couple of exhibition games, but I could be wrong.

I'm just guessing, but I'm assuming the Jays organization would be responsible for making the stadium "game ready."

I think the Jays deserve credit for keeping the idea of baseball in Montreal alive and in the conversation. I'm probably one of the few people here that has been to a live Montreal vs. Toronto baseball game (in TO on Canada Day many years ago) and the atmosphere was terrific.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Now that would be a conversation. :laugh:

on teh left is a guy that doesn't speak a word of English. on the right is a guy that speaks Spanish and English, but not Japanese. And in the middle is a guy that speaks Japanese and a bit of English, but no Spanish.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

on teh left is a guy that doesn't speak a word of English. on the right is a guy that speaks Spanish and English, but not Japanese. And in the middle is a guy that speaks Japanese and a bit of English, but no Spanish.

About as awkward as me trying to pick up a hot chick in a bar when I was in college...

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

haha I thought the same thing. :laugh:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

I remember his first year with the Jays Mune seemed to know more words in Spanish than English. :laugh: Regardless, I wish I could have been a fly in the dugout for that "conversation".

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
No doubt. The whole reason you do a series like this is the revenue opportunities.

But I wonder how the relationship between the team and the stadium works? I'm not even sure who owns Olympic Stadium. I assume it's the City of Montreal and I doubt the city would put much investment into getting it ready for a couple of exhibition games, but I could be wrong.

I'm just guessing, but I'm assuming the Jays organization would be responsible for making the stadium "game ready."

I think the Jays deserve credit for keeping the idea of baseball in Montreal alive and in the conversation. I'm probably one of the few people here that has been to a live Montreal vs. Toronto baseball game (in TO on Canada Day many years ago) and the atmosphere was terrific.

This hearkens back to what Jonah Keri said when he was being interviewed. Montreal didn't fail baseball, baseball failed Montreal. I liken it a lot to what happened here in Vancouver with the Grizzlies and the NBA. Yeah our attendance here was brutal for the last few seasons, but we'd gone through a pair of ownership/immediate relocation scares, a new owner who suckered us into believing he's stick it out for the long run only to turn around and start planning the move immediately afterwards. By the last couple of years it was basically fait accompli that the team was gone, so you could forgive the fans for not showing up to watch a team that wasn't theirs anymore and for not wanting to line the pockets of a guy that was ripping their hearts out with one hand while he counted their money with the other.

Only difference is that MLb seems amenable to returning to Montreal to right the wrongs that happened, while the NBA's response to Vancouver was a mind-boggling "I don't think we can go back because we screwed up the first time."

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Holy crap Taylor Cole. First game action I've seen from him this spring and ofcourse it's the last inning of the last game.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
True. Would be a neat rivalry as well. Everybody knows that if Montréal comes back, they are playing in the AL East. Reason why the Rays in MOntreal makes a whole lot of sense.

Thing though, is that somehow, I don't believe it yet. A whole lot of money implications. This province is short on money, there's just no way I see the government giving 1$ to this team in any form. At best, they'd sell the land for the new stadium for that 1$ but that's about it. So I'm not expecting anything soon but then the Rays might have moved already....Anyway, we'll see. There's nothing like recreating this rivalry in baseball as well.

I'm not holding my breath on baseball coming back to Montreal.

Two days of the year people talk about it, Jonah Keri gets interviewed and people talk about how cool it would be - but in reality there are thousands of hurdles that would have to be cleared.

I'm pretty sure baseball is going to explore every possible angle to getting a new stadium in Tampa before it contemplates moving a franchise.

And if it does come to moving Tampa, Montreal would be just one of many possibilities. A third team in New York would be a possibility and I'm sure there are a few other potential markets.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Buck messed up Tolleson and Berti again, covers for himself by saying they switched when they never did. That makes me think he didn't mean Diaz last time as well, but meant Berti and said Diaz.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
This harkens back to what Jonah Keri said when he was being interviewed. Montreal didn't fail baseball, baseball failed Montreal. I liken it a lot to what happened here in Vancouver with the Grizzlies and the NBA. Yeah our attendance here was brutal for the last few seasons, but we'd gone through a pair of ownership/immediate relocation scares, a new owner who suckered us into believing he's stick it out for the long run only to turn around and start planning the move immediately afterward. By the last couple of years it was basically fait accompli that the team was gone, so you could forgive the fans for not showing up to watch a team that wasn't theirs anymore and for not wanting to line the pockets of a guy that was ripping their hearts out with one hand while he counted their money with the other.

Only difference is that MLb seems amenable to returning to Montreal to right the wrongs that happened, while the NBA's response to Vancouver was "I don't think we can go back because we screwed up the first time."

I agree, but I also disagree.

The last seven years Montreal was in MLB it was last in attendance. It's not like people stopped showing up because the team was moving. In addition, I'm pretty sure there were attendance issues before the lost 1994 season.

And I know it's easy to blame Loria, because he was the last owner that screwed the franchise over. But, the reason he only became the owner because nobody in the local market was interested in owning the team because it was a money pit and an impossible situation.

It's easy to get romantic about the situation and remember Walker, Alou, Carter, Pedro (I remember watching when he pitched a nine-inning perfect game against the Reds only to see it go into 10 because it was 0-0), etc.

It's a lot harder to remember there were long running issues that hurt the franchise over a lengthy period of time.

With all of that said the two primary issues were: poor local ownership and a terrible stadium. If you could solve those two issues, I think you have a viable and valuable franchise.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

The last seven years Montreal was in MLB it was last in attendance. It's not like people stopped showing up because the team was moving. In addition, I'm pretty sure there were attendance issues before the lost 1994 season.

And I know it's easy to blame Loria, because he was the last owner that screwed the franchise over. But, the reason he only became the owner because nobody in the local market was interested in owning the team because it was a money pit and an impossible situation.

It's easy to get romantic about the situation and remember Walker, Alou, Carter, Pedro (I remember watching when he pitched a nine-inning perfect game against the Reds only to see it go into 10 because it was 0-0), etc.

It's a lot harder to remember there were long running issues that hurt the franchise over a lengthy period of time.

With all of that said the two primary issues were: poor local ownership and a terrible stadium. If you could solve those two issues, I think you have a viable and valuable franchise.

Nostalgia and bitterness over the departure seem to have done some to fix the ownership problems. There are apparently people who would be open to owning a franchise now. So yeah, the biggest hurdle is the fact that the Big O is not an MLB quality stadium.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Most of the issues there was from a horribly located stadium and a refusal to build a new one downtown. Tampa's pretty much guaranteed as gone in a few years for the same reason (politicians just recently shot down a new ballpark in Tampa). If they get a stadium in a better location, they'll be fine.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

Baseball is a universal language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad