Blue Jays Discussion: Haven't Won the World Series yet? Cut everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Soft hitting 2B out of Bowling Green. Pretty much a one\two tool guy, with speed being the only plus. Intriguing guy. Probably the starting 2B in NH. Had a real good AFL showing.

He's a utility guy the Jays drafted and developed. You need to study the Jays system a little more!

I was gonna make a similar reply, but I figured Nem would have heard his name before and then I noticed a spelling error in his first name. It's Jon Berti, so I'm not sure if Nem was making light of an error sportsnet made that I didn't notice or not

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Most hockey fans in this market would kill for the "lack of success" San Jose has had over the past decade.

The Sharks are such a fascinating franchise. They pretty much did everything right and still had no playoff "success". They're a prime example of "sometimes it just doesn't happen."

or if you're Jeremy Roenick, it's because Patrick Marleau is a gutless, lazy, slacking choker.

also they haven't had a real goalie since Nabokov left,

I was gonna make a similar reply, but I figured Nem would have heard his name before and then I noticed a spelling error in his first name. It's Jon Berti, so I'm not sure if Nem was making light of an error sportsnet made that I didn't notice or not

Nope, I legitimately didn't recognize the name. And considering that the best he got was an honorable mention on Bluebird Banter's top 40 and not much else, I'm not too out to lunch.

and ok, I might be tearing up a little now. Damn allergies. :sarcasm:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nope, I legitimately didn't recognize the name. And considering that the best he got was an honorable mention on Bluebird Banter's top 40 and not much else, I'm not too out to lunch.

and ok, I might be tearing up a little now. Damn allergies. :sarcasm:

Yeah, I don't consider him much of a prospect. And I'm pretty certain yesterday was the first time I saw him. But I recognized the name from NH lineups last year so I figured you may have known him.

And yes, that Martin moment was very cool. Sucks he didn't get a hit in the 2 games.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Is this the roster?

SP: Hutch
SP: Dickey
SP: Norris
SP: Buerhle
SP: Sanchez
RP: Cecil
RP: Castro
RP: Loup
RP: Osuna
RP: Estrada
RP: Hynes
RP: Redmond
RP: Hendriks

1B: Smoak
2B: Travis
3B: Donaldson
SS: Reyes
C: Martin
RF: Bautista
CF: Pompey
LF: Pillar
DH: EE
BN: Dioner
BN: Tolleson
BN: Valencia

Where does that leave the payroll? Looks like the Jays have some cash to spend if they need help in the bullpen later in the year. It's like they have covered off any needs on the field over the year with Goins, Kawasaki, Thole, Pillar (when Saunders returns) and Izturis.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah it's been cool to see the things the org has done for the Martin's in Montreal. Quite the spectacle for an exhibition matchup.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
or if you're Jeremy Roenick, it's because Patrick Marleau is a gutless, lazy, slacking choker.

also they haven't had a real goalie since Nabokov left,

Marleau couldn't hear him. His two gold medals are plugging his ears...

Because an astute hockey guy like Steve Yzerman picks a player like that to play on two straight winning Olympic teams...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Perez looked not bad.

Nice to have another option in the minors when we need it. I was a fan of his in his first time around with the Jays, before the injury.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I wonder how much is cost the Jays organization to have the stadium ready for this series (and last year too)?

That turf looks fairly new. It's been years since Olympic Stadium was used regularly (perhaps I'm wrong and it is used fairly regularly for other purposes).

Seems like putting in turf, preparing the stadium and making sure everything was up-to-date (in term of food and drink service - I mean, there are health regulations to follow) represents a pretty significant amount of money for a couple of spring training games each year.

It really shows something about the Blue Jays organization (they clearly value the Montreal market and believe it would be good for them and baseball to have a permanent team there - even if it means competition on TV, etc) that they would make an investment in this kind of series.

They could have just as easily held this two games at Rogers Centre and sold a bunch of tickets, beers, food, etc.

They clearly believe it's good business to keep Montreal on MLB's radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad