Have the Sharks made enough changes to the roster?

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Making more changes doesn't guarantee success.

Am I glad there have been some? Yes. It appears that we have attempted to improve the areas that were lacking.

Now we just have to wait and see and be prepared to act if the year doesn't start well.

I think Martin's addition will definitely help.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not a fan of too many of the moves. Bringing in DeBoer might prove to be a nightmare, even if it looks good in season one. And I still can't get over trading a first for Martin Jones. Dude has almost identical goaltending statistics to Alex Stalock over the two years they've both been in the league. I realize that Jones has a higher ceiling, but as of now he isn't much better than Stalock. At least not by going by their respective careers so far, which kind of mirror one another.

I didn't like the term on the Martin contract, although I don't think that's going to hurt this year. Hopefully he can get two or three solid years out of this deal.

The Ward signing isn't bad. The only thing I didn't like about it was that he's the type of player that DeBoer falls in love with and might have a tendency to overplay.

His deal was very fair though. AAV and term are both solid. He's a low mileage 1980, so I don't think he'll be declining badly through the duration of that deal.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Dude has almost identical goaltending statistics to Alex Stalock over the two years they've both been in the league. I realize that Jones has a higher ceiling, but as of now he isn't much better than Stalock. At least not by going by their respective careers so far, which kind of mirror one another.

This is just not true.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64

Not sure, but in the past the worry was making too many changes can be bad for chemistry so....

How many more changes, would be too many changes?

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007

Not sure, but in the past the worry was making too many changes can be bad for chemistry so....

How many more changes, would be too many changes?

And yet, apparently our chemistry has been questionable, so perhaps more changes might be needed :naughty:

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
And yet, apparently our chemistry has been questionable, so perhaps more changes might be needed :naughty:

Well, as my chemistry teacher used to say, Chem-is-try, and there sure didn't seem to be enough try going around either. All this equates to one heck of an interesting season coming up... can't wait. This has been one weird off-season, so much to be hopeful for but it's going by so painfully slow at the same time.

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I don't think enough changes is the right word. Have the Sharks made enough improvements? Maybe. Probably enough to get back into the playoffs but they should keep improving the lineup if they want to be serious contenders.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
DW says he's always trying to improve the roster, and his job isn't done for the season until the trade deadline.

I **do** expect many more player transactions before then.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is just not true.
What part isn't true?

Both entered the league in 13-14, this is not counting Stalock's few games prior. Both had great 13-14 seasons, and both had below average 14-15 seasons.

Jones might have been slightly better each season, nothing significant though. Am I saying that jones probably won't be the better goalie or doesn't have the higher ceiling? No.

Am I saying that Jones hasn't proven that he's significantly better than Stalock as of right now? Absolutely and I don't see how that can be argued. At least not at the NHL level.

Alex Stalock 2013-2014 .932 save percentage.
2014-2015 .902 save percentage.

Career .917 save percentage.

Martin jones 2013-2015 .934 save percentage.
2014-2104 .906 save percentage.

Career .923 save percentage.

Jones has played in 34 games and Stalock in 49 NHL games.

Jones was slightly better in 13-14, in which both guys were exceptionally good.

Jones was a little more than slightly better in 14-15, in which both weren't good.

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
DW says he's always trying to improve the roster, and his job isn't done for the season until the trade deadline.

I **do** expect many more player transactions before then.

Yeah he says that every year, this season in particular seems like one where he'll be active during the season. I'd like to see maybe one or two small moves before the season starts as well.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
What part isn't true?

Both entered the league in 13-14, this is not counting Stalock's few games prior. Both had great 13-14 seasons, and both had below average 14-15 seasons.

Jones might have been slightly better each season, nothing significant though. Am I saying that jones probably won't be the better goalie or doesn't have the higher ceiling? No.

Am I saying that Jones hasn't proven that he's significantly better than Stalock as of right now? Absolutely and I don't see how that can be argued. At least not at the NHL level.

Alex Stalock 2013-2014 .932 save percentage.
2014-2015 .902 save percentage.

Career .917 save percentage.

Martin jones 2013-2015 .934 save percentage.
2014-2104 .906 save percentage.

Career .923 save percentage.

Jones has played in 34 games and Stalock in 49 NHL games.

Jones was slightly better in 13-14, in which both guys were exceptionally good.

Jones was a little more than slightly better in 14-15, in which both weren't good.

Their professional careers did not start in 13-14. Stalock's numbers indicate 13-14 was likely a fluke. Jones' numbers indicate 14-15 was the likely fluke.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
This sentence makes my head hurt. The defense stinks because it's average to good at best? That doesn't sound stinky.

For me, the three biggest keys are 1) Jones, can he be an average starting goaltender; 2) Coaching, will they be aggressive enough offensively, will they fix up the PK, will they utilize the roster correctly; and 3) Logan, can he get back to being the defensive stud he was in '13-'14.

If Raffi can come back, that would be a huge bonus. Obviously Hertl, Nieto, and Tierney need to step up and Marleau needs to rebound. But those things seem reasonably certain to me.

No particular reason citing your post except it was convenient.
  • Agree defense players are above average. There are no game changing studs.
  • Changing coaching staffs isn't historically the thing that puts a team over the top unless they had their pieces playing together already going into the coaching change like Sutter in LA.
  • Offense I am less concerned about because the players already exist to score when motivated. We'll see if the new coach can find the formula. Pretty hard to win if your top players wont play like their jobs depend on effort. While the new guy says he'll sit players who don't put out effort and/or produce, we'll see 1) will he (TMac said the same thing.) 2) Will that hurt feelings in the locker room and lead to pouting.
  • Goalie is the key position (dugh). Hard to expect a backup to play 82 games and get to the finals. Maybe Niemi did that with Chicago as a rookie, but history has proven what many concluded prior; it was the defense of Chicago versus Niemi that allowed the team to win. As noted, we don't have that defense.
  • What traditionally lacks is team idenity and the X-Factor. I loved the swagger Torres brought to the team when he played, but I think he is the oldest player on the team. (Haven't fact checked that but doesnt change the point.) The team has no identity.
If a team is built from the net out - then we have a backup goalie, an above average defense, and very good offensive players when motivated. That's not a recipie for success.

So to the OP, even if we have all the pieces to win, its hard to see how that is going to happen until PD gets a year with the players and the team leaders discover effort in their list of skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: