Have the Kings done enough to beat Edmonton this offseason?

Have the Kings done enough?

• Total voters

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I don’t see PLD moving the needle here. Even if the matchup against McDavid and Draisaitl has improved for the Kings, it’s a lot of hope to put on the depth players to also improve in their matchups.

What I do like about PLD is that he brings an element that really no other player brings and that is that he is being really good down low and a beast to take the puck away (cough: Kopi), willing to go to the gritty areas, drags other line-mates into the fight, and isn't afraid to get physical in the offensive zone.

Byfield has showed shades of this this past season and played a role in that line doing as well as it did, wether during the regular or in the post season.

So, in theory, if we can have the puck in their zone more often hopefully it will translate to more time scoring opportunities and less time defending (and as you mentioned the stupid 1-3-1 where we just sit back and let Edmonton bring it to us).

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Until Byfield takes the next step, the Kings are treading water. You can trade winger depth for center depth, or improve the defense by getting rid of clowns like Durzi, but it all comes down to Byfield. He's still on an ELC and has all the tools to become a major force in this league.

If he does the usual Byfield thing and piddles around as a passenger on someone's wing to the tune of 30-40 points, Kings won't make it out of the first round.

If he explodes and earns his own line and puts up 20-40-60, yeah, we're a huge threat in the west.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
This simply could not be any more false.

The only way to play a team like the oilers is to pressure their D into making plays under duress, which will cause bad passes, trickle down into their forwards making rushed plays exiting their zone, and less entry speed (or ideally, turnovers).

Sitting back & waiting is a fools errand against talent like that. It just won’t work.

Edit: Tigermask beat me to it.
And for this, you need players able to do this.
Usually #1 center and #1 defender, which is in our case our weakness.
As long as we don't have a dominant #1 center and a #1 defender that can contain opponent top players, we will be ripped apart as soon as we try to start offense.

Not a single team in the league is scared of the Kings offense

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Huh, wonder where we've seen this before.

Relatedly, "Can anyone beat the Sharks?"
1690412254193.jpeg

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
I don’t honestly think the Kings have any plans on going deep this year. I think they hope to get into the playoffs, hope for the best and max out with next seasons cap increase and potential 2024 off loads from other teams . I believe Bluc’s eyes are on 2025 and this year is a “look over there” write off.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad