Have the Kings done enough to beat Edmonton this offseason?

Have the Kings done enough?

• Total voters

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I'm not sure why we are so obsessed with the Oilers.
Yes, they beat us easily but are also slaughtered against real teams.
If any this shows how much we are behind real contenders.

Offense got worse but defense slightly better, all very short term.
Long term we lost youngsters who have the potential to easily be better than PLD each
plus 1st rounders we would desperately need for the rebuild after 2027.

All this for a very shortsighted last hurrah without the slightest hope of success.
Mr. Blake should wear a Kamikaze head band at press interviews.

Reactions: KINGS17

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
All the acquisitions in the world won’t change a thing, until the coaching staff makes an adjustment to play the oilers more aggressively.

Sitting back and watching them build steam is never going to be an effective game plan against that current squad, short of a 1996 Mike Richter level of goaltending.

It's sad to say that this is already the better choice.
Turtle in in our own zone will limit the space the Oilers have and the speed they can build.
As soon as we open up because we want to score, they have the space to really rip us apart.
This is why they scored SH on most of our PP against us until we totally stopped to box them in
and basically skipped the PP, which leads to them abusing us to their desire without consequences.

The main issue is that the guys who are paid to actually take over a game like that, have no abilities to do so.
As long as we have no player that punishes them for their all out offense, we are on the receiving end.
Vegas has the perfect counter for them.
Their defense can skate hard but are 6'5 which totally shuts down McDrai.
On the other side, they have offense that can score whenever they want or need, which overwhelms the Oilers defense and forces them to abandon their all out offense.
This leaves the Oilers like baby seals ready to be clubbed.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
It's sad to say that this is already the better choice.
Turtle in in our own zone will limit the space the Oilers have and the speed they can build.
As soon as we open up because we want to score, they have the space to really rip us apart.
This is why they scored SH on most of our PP against us until we totally stopped to box them in
and basically skipped the PP, which leads to them abusing us to their desire without consequences.

The main issue is that the guys who are paid to actually take over a game like that, have no abilities to do so.
As long as we have no player that punishes them for their all out offense, we are on the receiving end.
Vegas has the perfect counter for them.
Their defense can skate hard but are 6'5 which totally shuts down McDrai.
On the other side, they have offense that can score whenever they want or need, which overwhelms the Oilers defense and forces them to abandon their all out offense.
This leaves the Oilers like baby seals ready to be clubbed.
…what?

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
As much as I've disliked Blake's moves this offseason he's assembled an excellent regular season team that can score at will and will provide more than enough goal support to offset mediocre goaltending throughout the season. I think they win the division and struggle more than expected against a wild card in Round 1 but squeak out a series victory before getting smashed by the winner of Vegas/Edmonton again. Think 2021-22 Panthers. This will be sold as a hugely successful season and result in fat extensions for Todd and the 2-headed monster in the front office. Anyone who mentions that they have obvious holes that remained unaddressed will be scolded for not appreciating a record regular season and 2nd round appearance.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

Long term we lost youngsters who have the potential to easily be better than PLD each

All this for a very shortsighted last hurrah without the slightest hope of success.
Oilers beat us easily? The year prior we had a game 6 close out at home. This past playoffs up 2 games to 1 with a 3-0 lead in game 4. Lost the lead but went ahead 4-3 in the 3rd until that Kane goal with 3 min left.
I was not overjoyed with the PLD trade for Gabe/Alex/Rasmus/2nd

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Obsessed?

We’ve played them twice in a row and lost twice in a row. And the only real competition in Pacific are the Oilers and Knights.

Of course the oilers are the team to beat

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Obsessed?

We’ve played them twice in a row and lost twice in a row. And the only real competition in Pacific are the Oilers and Knights.

Of course the oilers are the team to beat

And then?
The competition is not Pacific, it's the NHL.
The point is that we can't even make it past the Oilers, who ore in return slaughtered by others teams after us.

Reactions: KINGS17

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
And then?
The point is that we can't even make it past the Oilers, who ore in return slaughtered by others teams after us.
It’s the pacific… who gives a shit about the rest of the NHL when you can’t make it out of your own division. The Kings need to sort their oilers problem before they start looking at the bigger issue.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And then?

First milestone is getting out of the first round

If you arent' regularly making the 2nd/WCF, you're not a contender.

Reactions: Lt Dan

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It’s the pacific… who gives a shit about the rest of the NHL when you can’t make it out of your own division. The Kings need to sort their oilers problem before they start looking at the bigger issue.
An NHL GM should never care about beating a single team.

Build a team that will impose its will on the other team and force the opponent to adjust. That is how championships are won.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
First milestone is getting out of the first round

If you arent' regularly making the 2nd/WCF, you're not a contender.
We are no contender

We have the cap maxed out without a complete team.
Highest priority should be how to end the rebuild.
But this has been already destroyed by signing the oldies and cruising right to the next rebuild.

All this playoff and contender talk is pure nonsense

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We are no contender

We have the cap maxed out without a complete team.
Highest priority should be how to end the rebuild.
But this has been already destroyed by signing the oldies and cruising right to the next rebuild.

All this playoff and contender talk is pure nonsense

No argument here--we're saying that being unable to beat Edmonton is symbolic of everything you're saying as they're not able to advance beyond that. it's agreement.

Reactions: Kurrilino

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
An NHL GM should never care about beating a single team.

Build a team that will impose its will on the other team and force the opponent to adjust. That is how championships are won.
They should care if they keep losing to that said team. Unless you think the Kings are contenders which they are not. They’re a bubble team trying to get past the first round which is usually Edmonton. Do you think the Canucks are focusing on winning the cup or getting in the playoffs? The Kings should be focused on winning a series for the first time in eons. We’re legit talking about Todd and Blake getting fired because they haven’t accomplished anything. When you play video games and you’re under powered, do you go immediately fight the boss or do you build up to it? What are you talking about winning the cup? Blake’s priority should be on the pacific. You have the Knights here the team that just won the cup, and you have the Oilers. Knights beat the Oilers and the Oilers beat the Kings. The kings should be more focused on not getting their shit kicked in by the oilers before they think about solving a team like the knights. I also think that those two teams are some of the best in the NHL. If the Kings can solve the oilers then I think we are sitting pretty. They’re the litmus test for this team.

You’re putting the cart before the horse.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think everyone is agreeing but dancing around the point

it's not 'about' Edmonton directly

it's that if you can't get out of the first round, it doesn't matter. "beating edmonton" is symbolic.
Yes, who gives a flying f*** about Edmonton. The Oilers aren't going to win jack.

Reactions: Kudelski37

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
They should care if they keep losing to that said team. Unless you think the Kings are contenders which they are not. They’re a bubble team trying to get past the first round which is usually Edmonton. Do you think the Canucks are focusing on winning the cup or getting in the playoffs? The Kings should be focused on winning a series for the first time in eons. We’re legit talking about Todd and Blake getting fired because they haven’t accomplished anything. When you play video games and you’re under powered, do you go immediately fight the boss or do you build up to it? What are you talking about winning the cup? Blake’s priority should be on the pacific. You have the Knights here the team that just won the cup, and you have the Oilers. Knights beat the Oilers and the Oilers beat the Kings. The kings should be more focused on not getting their shit kicked in by the oilers before they think about solving a team like the knights. I also think that those two teams are some of the best in the NHL. If the Kings can solve the oilers then I think we are sitting pretty. They’re the litmus test for this team.

You’re putting the cart before the horse.
Absolutely agree.
Sadly Seattle's players decided to break out all at the same time.
It seems we play for Wildcard this coming season which will directly lead us against Vegas or Colorado.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Kings are still soft.

Vegas gave them fits because of the size on D. Petro was playing dirty and giving it right back to McDavid/Leon.

There was also ongoing battles between Kane vs. Carrier/Koelesar and Hague vs. Nurse. We don't have those type of players.

I always here the toughness stuff.
The reason why we looked physically dominated is that we don't have any dominant offensive player
and our own PP was their best scoring chance against us.

By adjusting to that and just skipping PP entirely their bullying went unpunished and they noticed that pretty quick.
Whenever we had a little spark of offense they just hacked it apart, gladly taking the penalty
This creates the illusion of being soft.

Vegas players are not just tough, they have roughly the same speed and skill as Edmontons top guys but being way stronger than them.
Their PP was feared by Edmonton which leads to a total different game.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The doldrums of the off-season are going about and I figured it would be interesting at least to see where fellow fans think the Kings are now. Seems like the Pacific division is going to be Vegas, LA, and Edmonton for the next couple years. Safe to assume we see Edmonton next playoffs again.

I think goaltending on paper is worse now than the end of the season.

Offense potentially has improved. Hard to tell how Vilardis absence gets filled by PLD.

Defense has improved by keeping Gavrikov. Shedding Durzi and Edler is a big plus.

Reflecting back to last year the goaltending was lit aflame by the Oilers and the defense was brutal. Don’t think offense was the reason why the Kings lost. Korpisalo did good for the first few games but got figured out.

I feel like it’s hard to tell. I don’t think the Kings have the physical and goaltending prowess to beat the oilers yet.
:m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance::m-confused:

Gonna come down to what Blake does before the TDL, so this is just another Shole Setup on the tee, until then.
LTIR will give some teams an advantage if a long term happens to a high salary pre deadline.
We are gonna wish we could have afforded Korpi...

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Iafallo - Not a youngster , utility role player , does not meet PLD's value ever.
Kupari - Probably not going to match or exceed PLD's value.
Vilardi - Not as good as a Center as PLD, doubt he meets PLD's performance , injury liability.
Durzi. - Liability that was less effective when the coaches pointed out he was a land mine detonator on defense at times.

Seems like you may have written this in a hurry and meant something a little different.

Blake is going for it.
Failure , equals , bub bye TMac.
Blake has one year to get a playoff coach before his contract expires and the Kings owner ship has a major decision about the framework of the organizations management all the way up to Beckerman,

Be nice to win the division to have the best shot at facing a WC and building into a tough showdown in round 2.
If they were to make it past that then the defending champs are out and their is a pathway.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yes, who gives a flying f*** about Edmonton. The Oilers aren't going to win jack.
You should care about the team that is going to be your first round match up unless you live in some world where natural progression isn’t a thing. If the Kings beat the oilers in round one then they’ve made a big step in the right direction. If they lose in the first round again then the Kings are still ass.

Weren’t the knights winning series before they won the cup? I don’t get this “the oilers aren’t going to win shit”

It’s not about winning the cup this next year you guys realize that right? It’s about going further in the playoffs and slaying your demons. That’s a sign of progress.

This is some mind numbing logic you have.

You think there’s no difference being bounced round 1 vs 2 vs 3? None of that means anything?

You think the SCF final teams are just as good as the first round teams? That’s what you’re basically saying by not giving a shit about the Kings beating their round one demons because regardless of what you believe The pacific is going to be the knights the kings and the oilers next year again.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You should care about the team that is going to be your first round match up unless you live in some world where natural progression isn’t a thing. If the Kings beat the oilers in round one then they’ve made a big step in the right direction. If they lose in the first round again then the Kings are still ass.
I think the bigger issue is I don't want the Kings to turn into the Sharks where they stupidly chant "Beat LA" like that's their only purpose, and them beating us was like them winning the cup.

The Kings shouldn't be built with the goal to beat Edmonton. They should be built to go deep in the playoffs. It's possible Edmonton wins the division. Maybe the Kings end the season in a wild card spot and spend the first two rounds in the central division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad