Have the Kings done enough to beat Edmonton this offseason?

Have the Kings done enough?

• Total voters

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The doldrums of the off-season are going about and I figured it would be interesting at least to see where fellow fans think the Kings are now. Seems like the Pacific division is going to be Vegas, LA, and Edmonton for the next couple years. Safe to assume we see Edmonton next playoffs again.

I think goaltending on paper is worse now than the end of the season.

Offense potentially has improved. Hard to tell how Vilardis absence gets filled by PLD.

Defense has improved by keeping Gavrikov. Shedding Durzi and Edler is a big plus.

Reflecting back to last year the goaltending was lit aflame by the Oilers and the defense was brutal. Don’t think offense was the reason why the Kings lost. Korpisalo did good for the first few games but got figured out.

I feel like it’s hard to tell. I don’t think the Kings have the physical and goaltending prowess to beat the oilers yet.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think they've addressed an issue or two while opening themselves to other issues.

+ defense is improved with a full season of Gavrikov, and getting rid of Walker and Durzi.
+ center depth improved
- loss of depth on the wings
- suspect goaltending still

I think a lot is dependent on how well players like Kaliyev, Byfield, Clarke, and Spence do. They certainly CAN. They definitely better, as they've triple-downed on their attempts to do damage in the playoffs.

My suspicion is the Kings will actually win a playoff round, giving BLuc validation for the steps they've taken, and keep going for it.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Kings addressed their main need.

Not sure if it's enough though. It will depend on some young players emerging and/or Blake being able to tweak the lineup down the stretch to fill the remaining holes.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I hope for the best but we're gonna get burned by our goaltending.
Also, how many times does todd have to prove he cant win in the playiffs?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This team will be a Todd special--1st seed in the Pacific first round exit after a pathetic 1-3-1.

Otherwise, awesome roster on paper, Blake has done a great job assembling talent at all ages at all positions; but he's done a poor job selecting a coach to mismanage that diverse assortment of talent and developing the folks under 25.

Reactions: ru4reals

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
The losses the last two years were a coaching issue, not roster issue. Points by centers last year was around 180...probably the same this year but with worse faceoff and defensive number. Lost the 2nd best shooter on the team that could do other things well too. Goaltending is a bigger question mark than last year. Will Todd allow the team to play to their strengths? Not likely.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The losses the last two years were a coaching issue, not roster issue. Points by centers last year was around 180...probably the same this year but with worse faceoff and defensive number. Lost the 2nd best shooter on the team that could do other things well too. Goaltending is a bigger question mark than last year. Will Todd allow the team to play to their strengths? Not likely.

Might be the greatest assemblage of offensive talent to ever play the 1-3-1

Reactions: Kudelski37

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Added scoring, but not sure if the muscle they added will be up on the team. Unsure.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If you want to compare what the Kings did with their roster this offseason vs what the Oilers have done, I'd say we are a net positive (PLD, Clarke/Spence getting more playing time) whereas the Oilers are like a net-neutral so if you want to look at it like that then I'd say we've have improved more than them.

But is it enough to beat them? I genuinely don't know. They still have the 2 best players on the planet which makes up for a lot. Oilers figured out Korpisalo and were willing to play McDavid and Draisaitl into the ground and double up on our weak 4th line and capitalize on the PP.

I firmly believe our team has been good enough to beat them these past 2 seasons, but it came down to the little things that cost us which goes further than just adding/subtracting players. It very well could be a TMac/system issue, look at what the Knights did to them, they basically played them the exact opposite way that we did in the 2nd round.

I really hope they don't try to extend McLellan and wait how the season plays out because the past 2 playoff rounds were definitely winnable and if its another 1st round exit then we need to look elsewhere.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It doesn't really matter how you feel about him. All eyes are going to be on Todd this season. They easily have the roster to do it.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Last chance for Todd McLellan to shake his playoff choker label. Very very good regular season coach, gets kicked in the nuts in the postseason and can't get back up every time. 0.477 winning percentage in the playoffs after 88 games. 6 series wins to 9 series losses. Hopefully he's learned something.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think the team is better because you have to assume they think Kaliyev is ready for a bigger role. It’s not unreasonable to expect more from QB either and for both to more than counter the loss of GV. I think Lewis adds some stability to the bottom 6 and will help the PK. The D is definitely better. Goaltending is the big ? closely followed by TMac.

Of course there my yet be moves made and maybe we get a surprise in camp and someone makes the team and surprises (I would love it to be Turcotte). I personally think we need to revisit this thread once the opening night roster is set, but we do need to talk/argue about something.

Can we beat Edmonton? It’s a coin flip atm, but If Clarke has a Calder level season and QB breaks out it becomes a ‘yes’.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
In spite of our improvements, the Oilers got “more better” than us over the last year leading up to the playoffs, and the results speak for themselves.

This summer we took a big step forward, but the Oilers also sneakily added Connor Brown. Excellent defensive forward who if healthy can score 20 goals.

Even if we’re even with them they have McDrai and the advantage on special teams. And we have the Toddfather.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
aboutKoalas.jpg

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
All the acquisitions in the world won’t change a thing, until the coaching staff makes an adjustment to play the oilers more aggressively.

Sitting back and watching them build steam is never going to be an effective game plan against that current squad, short of a 1996 Mike Richter level of goaltending.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I seriously hope we match up with them again in the 1st round. That way either Todd gets this team over the hump and finally beats the Oilers; or we (should) finally have TM fired. Then again, Blake could think TM has done a great job getting to the playoffs three straight years and give him an extension.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I seriously hope we match up with them again in the 1st round. That way either Todd gets this team over the hump and finally beats the Oilers; or we (should) finally have TM fired. Then again, Blake could think TM has done a great job getting to the playoffs three straight years and give him an extension.
And he'll do it between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs so he doesn't have to justify extending the guy that just got bounced for the 3rd year in round 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad