Have the canucks quietly built up a solid prospect pool?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Where did this happen?

I would be shocked if he doesn't come back to the NHL in a year. Way too much money to leave on the table. Not to mention NHL players are treated so much better than guys in Russia.

Would be nice if he brings Podkolzin with him. Add a couple more physical specimens to the mix.
A few days ago. Not sure where. One fan saw and notified numerous others. I don't generally watch streams and didn't see it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
No relevant data was posted. He used point totals from this season only. The most conspicuous poor-performance good-farm data point, the Sentaors, had 99, 85 and 98 points 2015-2017. Another, the Ducks, whose position on the graph using last season's point totals alone would appear to support Jyrki21's conclusion, had 116, 109, 103, 105 and 101 points the 5 seasons before the previous one.
Its relevant to that season atleast but I agree that a larger sample size is needed.
However it may become more grey area when some (most?) Bad teams dont stay bottom 5 or 10 for 5+ years

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I would assume most teams finishing low in the standings weren't top teams the season before... more grey area.
Im as interested as you in the actual reality of position and prospect pool correlation

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Interesting. Here is how MS did compared to Benning the moron.

2015- Merkley (Boeser)
2016- Juolevi (Juolevi)
2017- Villardi (Pettersson)
2018- Dobson (Hughes)
2019- Caufield (Podkolzin)

I like the Caufield pick. Not a fan of any of the other selections though.
If you’re going to talk shit about someone at least look it up.

23) Nick Merkley or Boeser. Also like the sounds of the guy Anaheim picked but haven't seen him play.

66) Conor Garland

114) Chaz Reddekopp

144) Ryan Pilon

149) Andrew Mangiapane

174) Jasek sounds good

210) Tyler Soy

Garland and Reddekopp could have been had with lower picks but that's where I would have taken them as things were happening.

He said Merkley or Boeser.

About the only thing you said that was correct was “ Benning the moron”

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I would assume most teams finishing low in the standings weren't top teams the season before... more grey area.
Im as interested as you in the actual reality of position and prospect pool correlation
My suspicion is that there's a weak correlation, that it's there and probably somewhat consistent but doesn't admit of too much grandstanding about how any team's pool should be ranked. One reason is that teams that draft high for a few years tend to graduate those prospects almost immediately -- over time this would even out as prospects drafted later would eventually have to graduate or be discarded too, but teams go up and down and some find success again more quickly than expected. Drafting is a massive crapshoot. I don't think it makes much sense to give any front office all that much credit for failure or success except in a few cases where they appear to have had a general strategy that was effective or ineffective.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If you’re going to talk **** about someone at least look it up.

Unfortunately you don't get 2 picks. MS will tell you Merkley was his first choice.

It's not 'talking shit' to look at draft lists. All of the picks are reasonable and defensible. The point is to show it's not so easy to find elite talents just because you have some good picks. Sometimes you need to tip your cap to a guy you otherwise think is a 'moron'.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Unfortunately you don't get 2 picks. MS will tell you Merkley was his first choice.

It's not 'talking ****' to look at draft lists. All of the picks are reasonable and defensible. The point is to show it's not so easy to find elite talents just because you have some good picks. Sometimes you need to tip your cap to a guy you otherwise think is a 'moron'.
Just not somehow rationalizing a way to believe the success somehow also makes him a moron, or was actually someone else's success, or just doesn't matter for some reason, or is irresponsible of anyone to mention when they could be talking about Gudbranson would also be just fine.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

It's not 'talking ****' to look at draft lists. All of the picks are reasonable and defensible. The point is to show it's not so easy to find elite talents just because you have some good picks. Sometimes you need to tip your cap to a guy you otherwise think is a 'moron'.
Except he hasn’t proven to draft better than some of the more knowledgeable posters here. You tipping your cap to them too?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Just not somehow rationalizing a way to believe the success somehow also makes him a moron, or was actually someone else's success, or just doesn't matter for some reason, or is irresponsible of anyone to mention when they could be talking about Gudbranson would also be just fine.
This whole “I’m going to use their arguments of Benning against them” experiment is interesting.

Reactions: mossey3535

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Except he hasn’t proven to draft better than some of the more knowledgeable posters here. You tipping your cap to them too?

Sure. Why not. Of the hundreds of posters here, I'm sure some have done better. Good job! I certainly didn't.

Just don't be fooled by survivorship bias. The misses go quietly into the night, while the hits keep on comin'.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Incidentally, Tryamkin recently said on a livestream that he's definitely coming back to Vancouver as soon as his KHL contract is up.
Thats great but Ill believe it when he steps on the ice with a Canucks uniform on, untill then he's just shooting the shit or leveraging his next KHL contract.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If you’re going to talk **** about someone at least look it up.

About the only thing you said that was correct was “ Benning the moron”

Once again the fact that someone is so daft that they don't even understand how damning it is that Joe fan can do about as well as Jim benning and the literally millions of dollars they invest in scouting is really ncredible to me. Replace Benning with the stupidest possible system of picking players and the canucks aren't any worse off.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Where did this happen?

I would be shocked if he doesn't come back to the NHL in a year. Way too much money to leave on the table. Not to mention NHL players are treated so much better than guys in Russia.

Would be nice if he brings Podkolzin with him. Add a couple more physical specimens to the mix.

Can you elaborate on the treatment of players in the NHL vs KHL?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Once again the fact that someone is so daft that they don't even understand how damning it is that Joe fan can do about as well as Jim benning and the literally millions of dollars they invest in scouting is really ncredible to me. Replace Benning with the stupidest possible system of picking players and the canucks aren't any worse off.

This type of argument has been in existence for decades. Previously the argument was that if you follow Central Scouting's rankings the Canucks would have drafted a lot better.

How many NHL teams consistently do better than "the stupidest possible system of picking players" you refer to? I'm genuinely interested to know.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Is this a real question or sarcasm?

For the amount of top picks we have had we are way way way way behind in prospects.

Reactions: Hodgy

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Also that MS draft had 2 NHL players in Garland and Mangiapane, i the Canucks picked those 2 and Boeser they would be in good shape

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Sure. Why not. Of the hundreds of posters here, I'm sure some have done better. Good job! I certainly didn't.

Just don't be fooled by survivorship bias. The misses go quietly into the night, while the hits keep on comin'.

Oh, the team that employs a large number of scouts and invests a lot of money barely outdrafted the average HF poster, most of whom havent seen any of the prospects play and just go by what they read. What a success story!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
So was it Goldobin saying that or some random post saying Goldobin said that?

It was actually a live seen By members on reddit with a link to the video which was live. Keep in mind the words came out of goldobins mouth. Apparently tryamkin is just waiting on the contract. Might have been some grammar error from goldy but they think he means he’s waiting for his khl contract to run out.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
It was actually a live seen By members on reddit with a link to the video which was live. Keep in mind the words came out of goldobins mouth. Apparently tryamkin is just waiting on the contract. Might have been some grammar error from goldy but they think he means he’s waiting for his khl contract to run out.

That seems totally credible

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3