Have the canucks quietly built up a solid prospect pool?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I had Konecny or Boeser for that draft. Why? Because the order hadn't played out yet. It's likely the same for MS here. Without naming his pick at the time it was made, you could continue to criticize his options. Wrongfully. That's not a genuine argument.

So you would have taken Konecny? That's who I wanted.

If the order hadn't played out yet, why did MS say he liked the guy the Ducks took in the 1st round? That was Jacob Larsson at 27.

I'm not criticising his options. I explicitly said there was nothing wrong with every one of his picks. That they were all reasonable and defensible. It's just good to be reminded that it's not so easy to hit every time and just because you get good picks, doesn't mean you end up with great prospects all the time. That calling someone a 'moron' in the context of our prospect pool just isn't a good take.

If you want to call Benning a moron and tear him to shreds for his overall body of work, fine. There is a lot there to criticise. When it comes to our drafting under Benning, the conversation should be much different. Without that nuance, you're just pissing into the wind. And no meaningful discourse will ever take place.

Last edited:

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Again, I'm not making any claim. I'm asking someone who did to provide evidence to substantiate it.

graph3.png

The trend over four seasons is almost identical to Jyrki21's post.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

If the order hadn't played out yet, why did MS say he liked the guy the Ducks took in the 1st round? That was Jacob Larsson at 27.

I'm not criticising his options. I explicitly said there was nothing wrong with every one of his picks. That they were all reasonable and defensible. It's just good to be reminded that it's not so easy to hit every time and just because you get good picks, doesn't mean you end up with great prospects all the time. That calling someone a 'moron' in the context of our prospect pool just isn't a good take.

If you want to call Benning a moron and tear him to shreds for his overall body of work, fine. There is a lot there to criticise. When it comes to our drafting under Benning, the conversation should be much different. Without that nuance, you're just pissing into the wind. And no meaningful discourse will ever take place.

I think our scouting staff has done well picking Boeser and Pettersson.

I think the man in charge of building our pro team has done a bad job building a pro team.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

The drafting after the first round has been very average at best. If all you got is that Benning picked Boeser while MS would have picked Konecny maybe, it's a very sad state.

Reactions: The Drop

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If all you got is that Benning picked Boeser while MS would have picked Konecny maybe, it's a very sad state.

It wasn't Konecny, it was Nick Merkley. He of zero career points.

You also forgot Elias Pettersson...

Does that change your mind?

I think our scouting staff has done well picking Boeser and Pettersson.

I think the man in charge of building our pro team has done a bad job building a pro team.

Yes, our scouting under Benning has done well. That's the whole point.

Yes, the pro scouting has been poor. How the organisation has done on the pro scouting end has no relevance to this discussion.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
The drafting after the first round has been very average at best. If all you got is that Benning picked Boeser while MS would have picked Konecny maybe, it's a very sad state.
He keeps mentioning Boeser and EP and not even addressing Virtanen and Juolevi.

50% on hitting on his own first rounders is apparently a good job when you’re picking 6, 23, 5, 5 lol

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

50% on hitting on his own first rounders is apparently a good job when you’re picking 6, 23, 5, 5 lol
It is when your picking the best players in the draft (Calder winner and finalists ) without ever winning the lottery...Granted you should get a really good player when picking high, but EP and Boeser were two big home runs.

Hughes having an exceptional year next year would be a big feather in the Canucks scouting cap.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

I've addressed the Juolevi selection a handful of times. Said it was a terrible pick from the moment it was made.

Virtanen was picked because he was a local kid that ownership apparently loved. Benning had zero ties to Virtanen. That pick was being made regardless of who the GM coming in was going to be. Linden was gushing over Jake before the Benning hire.

The Canucks are in a very good position based on where they have picked under Benning. But the thing is, Quinn Hughes could step in next year, put up 50 points and win the Calder and many on this board will still say our drafting has sucked under Benning. Meanwhile the narrative everywhere outside this board will continue to be about what a strong collection of young talent the Canucks are assembling through shrewd work at the draft.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It is when your picking the best players in the draft (Calder winner and finalists ) without ever winning the lottery...Granted you should get a really good player when picking high, but EP and Boeser were two big home runs.

Hughes having an exceptional year next year would be a big feather in the Canucks scouting cap.
Picking the record breaking highest ranked highest scoring European player and the next highest ranked high scoring hobey baker finalist dman with top 7 picks is a "big feather in the scouting cap"
Like those arent ridiculously obvious picks with very high 1sts.

But blowing 2 top 6 1st round picks says nothing about the "best scouting" GM of the same team or the overall drafting.

One must be delusional to think the team or the GM is great at drafting with the entirety of evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: Hodgy and The Drop

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Picking the record breaking highest ranked highest scoring European player and the next highest ranked high scoring hobey baker finalist dman with top 7 picks is a "big feather in the scouting cap"
Like those arent ridiculously obvious picks with very high 1sts.

But blowing 2 top 6 1st round picks says nothing about the "best scouting" GM of the same team or the overall drafting.

One must be delusional to think the team or the GM is great at drafting with the entirety of evidence to the contrary.
EP and Boeser were not obvious picks...Virtanen is an NHL player, and the book isn't closed on Juolevi yet..Expecting the GM to hit home runs on every pick is unrealistic.

It's bizarre..other fanbases think the Canucks have drafted very well, but a lot the expertzz here would of course find a reason to complain about it.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Canucks 2014 to 2018, the first picks in the draft.

Virtanen 6th overall, 3rd line winger
Boeser 23rd overall, 1st line winger
Juolevi 5th overall, bottom pairing D or higher.
Petey 5th overall, number 1 center
Hughes 7th overall, top pairing D

Can someone compare other teams that had picks similiar to the Canucks In a 5 year stretch? and see what players they got. I don't really know if the drafting is good or bad. Most teams, maybe with the exception of the Jets don't hit all their high 1st round picks, Yzerman picked Drouin over Jones. One of better GM don't even hit 100%

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Calling Virtanen “am nhl player” is a failure. Juolevi was projected to be a top pairing dman by Jimbo. These are massive failures picking in the top 6. Neither of these guys are good picks. I’m not sure how anyone can refute that.

Agree on Hughes.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
EP and Boeser were not obvious picks...Virtanen is an NHL player, and the book isn't closed on Juolevi yet..Expecting the GM to hit home runs on every pick is unrealistic.

It's bizarre..other fanbases think the Canucks have drafted very well, but a lot the expertzz here would of course find a reason to complain about it.
Expecting to draft impact players when you’re drafting 5th or 6th overall is not unrealistic

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I've addressed the Juolevi selection a handful of times. Said it was a terrible pick from the moment it was made.

Virtanen was picked because he was a local kid that ownership apparently loved. Benning had zero ties to Virtanen. That pick was being made regardless of who the GM coming in was going to be. Linden was gushing over Jake before the Benning hire.

The Canucks are in a very good position based on where they have picked under Benning. But the thing is, Quinn Hughes could step in next year, put up 50 points and win the Calder and many on this board will still say our drafting has sucked under Benning. Meanwhile the narrative everywhere outside this board will continue to be about what a strong collection of young talent the Canucks are assembling through shrewd work at the draft.
And Benning didn’t want Pettersson so does that not count either since you don’t want to blame JV on him?

So it’s Boeser vs Juolevi because Hughes fell to them. That’s a hell of a draft wizard you’re applauding

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Expecting to draft impact players when you’re drafting 5th or 6th overall is not unrealistic
Not at all..but it is when you can pick the best player in the draft.....and even if the misses turn out to be solid NHL players with long careers, its not a miss.

An outright 'bust' though,is a big failure.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The expectation is now we have to hit home runs on every single first round pick now? Seems like a difficult standard to be honest.

All teams make mistakes at the draft table.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So benning has no input on the first rounder (Jake) but made the picks for the rest of the draft is that correct?

To me logically if you dont trust the new gm to make the high first round pick how are you trusting him to make picks in the alter rounds?

Remove that Jake draft year and the late picks and my god bennings record drafting can’t be defended

Reactions: Canadian Club

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The expectation is now we have to hit home runs on every single first round pick now? Seems like a difficult standard to be honest.

All teams make mistakes at the draft table.

If you want to make the case that he's some kind of drafting guru whose skill at drafting makes up for all his other deficiencies, then yes I expect pretty much 100%. At best you can say his results are in line with historical average.

If he could actually nail 100% of his first rounders, I would maybe be able to buy that he has some sort of special ability there. As it stands his results are no better than throwing darts.

A "difficult standard" is exactly the kind of standard a supposed drafting wizard should be held to.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->