Have Jets reached peak market price per seat?

arbf412

Dec 3, 2011
Lowest price I saw on stubhub last night was $130US plus fees.

The bottom line is that the walk up prices are higher than the market will bear. When more and more season ticket holders try to sell, the need to lower their prices, so why would someone pay full price on TM when you can save hundreds if you’re patient enough on Seat Exchange or Stubhub.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If the Jets lose both games in Vegas I would imagine you will find a few being sold for less than ST price.

Not only is the face value prices high, they are only even bearable IMO if the team is winning. Playing a game at home that could be an elimination game ( for the home side ) will see some lowering of prices on the secondary market.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If the Jets lose both games in Vegas I would imagine you will find a few being sold for less than ST price.

Not only is the face value prices high, they are only even bearable IMO if the team is winning. Playing a game at home that could be an elimination game will see some lowering of prices on the secondary market.
And if they win both that'll be one hot ticket!

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
IIRC you can set lower than face value prices on SeatExchange just not higher. Not sure if there is a minimum value you can set though.

You can't set lower than season ticket holder prices.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
IIRC you can set lower than face value prices on SeatExchange just not higher. Not sure if there is a minimum value you can set though.
I'm pretty sure the rules during regular season were anywhere between STH cost and face value. Don't know if that changed for playoffs.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
sucks that you guys are experiencing this right now. The national media tried to shame Ottawa after the team failed to sell a few hundred seats in the second round last year.

The reality of the situation is that most working class people can't afford to be dropping hundreds of dollars on upper-bowl seats after they've already been to like 5 or 6 games. Everyone has a breaking point. Playoff hockey is fun but it's also prohibitively expensive for most people, let alone families. It'd be nice if the media covered it from a more empathetic angle instead of the usual class-shaming nonsense. Don Cherry makes like $800k a year to do a ten minute segment once a game and has the audacity to criticize hard-working people for not making risky financial decisions that could adversely affect their lives. It's a joke.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The fact is that Winnipeg's local market is a fraction the size of Toronto, Chicago, New York, etc, and we simply don't have as many wealthy people. If Toronto were in our position, all those $600+ seats would sell out and there would be little outcry of unethical practice. We've just been blindsided by economics 101 and no one saw the hit coming. It'll all be fine if make the SC round, but people won't be gorging on expensive first round tickets next year and beyond.
Lesson learned all around.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The fact is that Winnipeg's local market is a fraction the size of Toronto, Chicago, New York, etc, and we simply don't have as many wealthy people. If Toronto were in our position, all those $600+ seats would sell out and there would be little outcry of unethical practice. We've just been blindsided by economics 101 and no one saw the hit coming. It'll all be fine if make the SC round, but people won't be gorging on expensive first round tickets next year and beyond.
Lesson learned all around.
If we become perennial contenders we likely see a playoff face value price point that reflects what the market can sustain over the long term.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If we become perennial contenders we likely see a playoff face value price point that reflects what the market can sustain over the long term.

I'd like to believe that but I truly doubt it. TNSE has a general attitude of this being "the cost of being an NHL market" that they've basically applied across the board. Why would this be different?

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
Why can I legally sell a P3 ticket on seat exchange and make a $275 profit per ticket? In what world does TN think they are in? You have pages and pages of supposed die hard season ticket owners on seat exchange just trying to make a fast buck. But, the tickets aren't selling. There's a limit. My limit is $300 on a friday night. Mondays game-150 prime tickets not sold. Best seat at $725 on ticketmaster.

It's not because we are cheap, frugal etc.. Most people have their limits. Well the market has responded. I love how Chipman stated this year that ticket prices were a topic of discussion that he would like to address. Fluff.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's the Capitals Game 4 seats available (TM runs the Caps official resales so they appear on the map in red):
upload_2018-5-15_22-12-11.png

Here's the Jets Game 5:
upload_2018-5-15_22-13-45.png

Both teams will release unused seats they day of the game, but I don't think Winnipeg has a huge problem here. There's the one block of about 8 seats together and 4 pairs and the rest are singles. I just counted the 300s seats for sale on TicketExchange and there are about 4 or 5 per section on average.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Sunday's game is a bit of an outlier. Did not even consider keeping my ticket for a Sunday afternoon game on a three day weekend with nice weather. If it was a 1900 start I might have considered coming back to the city and going.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Why can I legally sell a P3 ticket on seat exchange and make a $275 profit per ticket? In what world does TN think they are in? You have pages and pages of supposed die hard season ticket owners on seat exchange just trying to make a fast buck. But, the tickets aren't selling. There's a limit. My limit is $300 on a friday night. Mondays game-150 prime tickets not sold. Best seat at $725 on ticketmaster.

It's not because we are cheap, frugal etc.. Most people have their limits. Well the market has responded. I love how Chipman stated this year that ticket prices were a topic of discussion that he would like to address. Fluff.

I've said before that this is a unique thing because it's the first time the Jets as a franchise have ever done anything in the playoffs. If the Jets were to become like Detroit was and make the playoffs year after year after year, an adjustment is going to have to be made or we will start seeing lots of empty seats. a 225% increase is not sustainable year after year.

Long term you will probably see the STH posting their seats on the Seat Exchange at the STH price and not the face value if they want to sell them. The market will dictate.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sunday's game is a bit of an outlier. Did not even consider keeping my ticket for a Sunday afternoon game on a three day weekend with nice weather. If it was a 1900 start I might have considered coming back to the city and going.

I'm thinking a lot of people ( just by the large number of tickets on SE ) are thinking the same thing. People are going to open their cottages etc. and enjoy an actual May long weekend without rain.

If the Jets were to win both games 3 and 4, I'll be there Sunday. But a Jet loss in either game and I will sell game #5. May have to sell at a lower price though.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
There is no issue here. Yes, there are some expensive tickets that aren't selling, but it's a small amount. I know that they have been giving the big corporate partners a few extra seats. I was fortunate to sit in p1 seats courtesy of Air Canada :)

Tickets are always available for every major sporting event when they are this expensive.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
I'm thinking a lot of people ( just by the large number of tickets on SE ) are thinking the same thing. People are going to open their cottages etc. and enjoy an actual May long weekend without rain.

If the Jets were to win both games 3 and 4, I'll be there Sunday. But a Jet loss in either game and I will sell game #5. May have to sell at a lower price though.

Yet everyone complains about Florida and Arizona fans for not going when there are so many other options to do besides go to a hockey game.

First long weekend and plenty of fans would rather be by a cabin which I understand, I just don't get the bashing when other warm weather fans wold rather do a beach day

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Here's the Capitals Game 4 seats available (TM runs the Caps official resales so they appear on the map in red):
View attachment 121245

Here's the Jets Game 5:
View attachment 121247

Both teams will release unused seats they day of the game, but I don't think Winnipeg has a huge problem here. There's the one block of about 8 seats together and 4 pairs and the rest are singles. I just counted the 300s seats for sale on TicketExchange and there are about 4 or 5 per section on average.

Can't really compare the two cities. First they have 3,000 more tickets for sale compared to us. Second they are not a big hockey market . Third they have been in the playoffs something like 12 of the last 13 years, that's a lot of games and fourth they are coming off a heart breaking all in last season and have lost some people over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad