Have Jets reached peak market price per seat?

arbf412

Dec 3, 2011
I would guess there will be fewer single game playoff tickets available in future years. Any season ticket holder who declined their seats for the playoffs (and I personally know at least 8 seats in my vicinity) is now realizing that they passed up lots of free money now that they see the markups.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Not sure if anyone has noticed, but the Jets have sold very few (of the remaining inventory) seats today. Considering the euphoria of the game 7 win, and a Saturday night opening game, I think they may have exceeded what even the most die-hard fans are willing to pay.

I checked ticketmaster at 10am this morning, and there were lots of "blue dots" available for the Saturday game. Even more for the Monday night game. Out of curiousity, I just checked again (6 hours later) and it seems like there are even more tickets posted than there were this morning.

The Bud Lounge is $682 per seat + ticketmaster fees. They seemingly have had 50+ tickets available all day. Everything in the lowerbowl is $420+. Upperbowl corners are $320. At some point, you simply price yourself too high. I'm a season seat holder. What I pay for my seats for round 3 is $285.20. Yet, the "unsold inventory" for the exact same seat is $630 for Joe Public.

Keep in mind, the wealthiest of Jets fans all already have season tickets. Heck, many own Suites. I'm friends with many of them. There just aren't that many without tickets; and no matter how rich you are, $1400 for a pair of tickets is steep. Especially considering there are two home games in 3 days.

Again, just an observation, but the fact that the game tomorrow is still far from a sell-out is indicating something! 25K "free" street party tickets sold-out, yet nobody is paying (the steep prices) to be inside the rink!

Round 3 Prices:
P1 - $682
P2 - $603
P3 - $497
P4 - $417
P5 - $376
P6 - $317
P7 - $229
Nothing but complaining today. Mostly single seats I would bet.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
These prices aren’t sustainable. These prices are for a one-off playoff run. If the Jets become regular participants in 2nd round and beyond and charge these prices combined with increasing season ticket prices yearly they will be pricing the majority of their fans out of the building.
Don't forget over 90% of the people in the arena paid half of the face value prices.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't forget over 90% of the people in the arena paid half of the face value prices.
Yup. With each passing round I can't help loving being a ST holder. I'm paying $150 compared to $376 + agency fees for the same P5 ticket on the open market. This playoff run is going a long way to shore up the ST base IMO.

Reactions: surixon

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yup. With each passing round I can't help loving being a ST holder. I'm paying $150 compared to $376 + agency fees for the same P5 ticket on the open market. This playoff run is going a long way to shore up the ST base IMO.
Me too.......but at the same time, we are a society that doesn't worry about debt load. The issues won't show up for a while yet ;)

People will pay 600$ to go to one game, but thats about it IMO.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I think that for these playoffs it will fly. People are still motivated by the possibility that this is just a once in a lifetime run. If they win the SC this year the market will not bear the "once in a lifetime" price again.

I mean, whatever tickets cost, it doesn't really compare to what my flight to Winnipeg will cost if they make the finals.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Tickets for sale from the secondary sellers doesn't equal empty seats, though. STHolders can sell seats to one game and make back the cost of an entire series. The seats for sale will be used, regardless; it's good business. Even if TNSE gives away a couple of dozen for optics, the profits being tallied through this playoff run goes a long way to keeping the team stable and healthy for the future.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
I'm astounded how quickly our P5s have sold for face value on the seat exchange. Getting to go to some free playoff hockey and tbh not sure I think it is "right".

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I said it from the beginning they will struggle at these prices. Winnipeg doesn't have the money to be spending $500+ per ticket.

Have quite a few friends who work in law offices for some of the cities elite.

When lawyers are stating they can't afford to keep going to games, you know the pricing is out of whack.

bek816

Mar 17, 2012
Time to sell a pair of P4 tickets on SeatExchange to game four round two for face value: 15 minutes.
Time to sell a pair of P4 tickets on SeatExchange to game five round three for face value: 120 minutes.

It's really not that hard to afford playoff tickets. My pair of P4 tickets, after selling off the second seat to friends, and factoring in sales on SeatExchange is $325 for SEVEN games (including tomorrow). That's $46 per game. The bigger cost is affording season tickets and having to attend Wednesday night games against Florida that you can't sell for even your cost.

Edit = typo

Pickle Rick

Nov 11, 2016
I'll just copy and paste my post from the playoff ticket thread (didn't realize this thread was here)...

If the Jets make the next round (fully expect it) then I really hope True North hasn't settled on their general sale ticket prices yet and hope they learned some lessons from this round. There is a limit to what people will pay in this town and over 100 unsold tickets last night should be a big red flag for them. I think they did a great job of rewarding season ticket holders with a huge discount for playoff tickets but I think they went too far. Once you take season ticket holders (and their friends/family/business associates who use some of those tickets) out of the demand side, there's a limited amount of people leftover to snap up the remaining supply. In the first couple of rounds the prices were relatively accessible and everyone wanted to get in the barn. But after they've been there once (at full face value), a lot of those same people simply can't or won't go to another strictly based on pricing. Would be interesting to see how many repeat customers there were for full face value off ticketmaster. I would just be guessing but I can't see more than 100-200 people buying tickets to multiple games at full face.

I'm part of a group so I have access at STH price, but even if I didn't I would definitely pay a premium to get into a game, but screw off at more than double, that's just idiotic pricing policy and comes off as simple greed. This town is small enough that everyone local with even a limited circle of friends / acquaintances is able to snag reasonably priced tickets off a STH and the people paying full face value (especially lower bowl) are either out of towners or people looking for a one-time splurge. Realistically, there's enough ex-Winnipegers out there that would make a one-time trip home for the first ever Stanley Cup Finals so there's no way there will be an empty seat next round but if True North doesn't want the embarrassment of having empty seats in the playoffs in the future the way they did yesterday they need to narrow the gap between face value and STH pricing the next time we're in the playoffs (next year).

edit... I was at the game and the unsold tickets were not given away to staff or True North associates, the seats were empty because I was refreshing the ticketmaster site and physically looking with my own eyes at the ones available on ticketmaster sitting empty. And they weren't empty because people were at the street party either, they only had 11,000 outside. Hope True North is taking notes and having a high level discussion on this one because it could snowball into a PR nightmare.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It a two sided issue...

1- The Jets have never been in this situation before, so it will take some time to figure out what the market will pay. The one problem that TNSE will be facing IMO is that this is "really successful" playoffs #1 and everyone wants to get in on it. Now let's just say the Jets make the playoffs for the next 6 seasons and are again successful in them... they will quickly find out that this year's markup for the general public is not going to fly every year. Over pricing something will be seen a gouging.

2 -On the other hand... there are not that many benefits to being a STH, so having a wide gap in playoff prices is kind on required or the STH will see no reason to be a STH. And I think all the STHs that gave up their playoff tickets this year before the playoffs will be keeping them, if only to sell them, the next time around.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Oilers fan here supporting the jets. If I wanted to come to Winnipeg for say game 5 (assume if it goes to 7 I presume all sold out) what would be the best option to get seats not involving a scalper? I want to do this without any risk of me flying out there and fraud taking place. Is there expected to be a good pool of seats?

Also is there any reason why the seats arnt sold out? Issues with the arena/safety etc?
I know it was impossible to get tickets last year here in Edmonton.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Oilers fan here supporting the jets. If I wanted to come to Winnipeg for say game 5 (assume if it goes to 7 I presume all sold out) what would be the best option to get seats not involving a scalper? I want to do this without any risk of me flying out there and fraud taking place. Is there expected to be a good pool of seats?

Also is there any reason why the seats arnt sold out? Issues with the arena/safety etc?
I know it was impossible to get tickets last year here in Edmonton.
You can get tickets right now on seat exchange and Ticketmaster. Both are 100% legit websites.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
I'll just copy and paste my post from the playoff ticket thread (didn't realize this thread was here)...

If the Jets make the next round (fully expect it) then I really hope True North hasn't settled on their general sale ticket prices yet and hope they learned some lessons from this round. There is a limit to what people will pay in this town and over 100 unsold tickets last night should be a big red flag for them. I think they did a great job of rewarding season ticket holders with a huge discount for playoff tickets but I think they went too far. Once you take season ticket holders (and their friends/family/business associates who use some of those tickets) out of the demand side, there's a limited amount of people leftover to snap up the remaining supply. In the first couple of rounds the prices were relatively accessible and everyone wanted to get in the barn. But after they've been there once (at full face value), a lot of those same people simply can't or won't go to another strictly based on pricing. Would be interesting to see how many repeat customers there were for full face value off ticketmaster. I would just be guessing but I can't see more than 100-200 people buying tickets to multiple games at full face.

I'm part of a group so I have access at STH price, but even if I didn't I would definitely pay a premium to get into a game, but screw off at more than double, that's just idiotic pricing policy and comes off as simple greed. This town is small enough that everyone local with even a limited circle of friends / acquaintances is able to snag reasonably priced tickets off a STH and the people paying full face value (especially lower bowl) are either out of towners or people looking for a one-time splurge. Realistically, there's enough ex-Winnipegers out there that would make a one-time trip home for the first ever Stanley Cup Finals so there's no way there will be an empty seat next round but if True North doesn't want the embarrassment of having empty seats in the playoffs in the future the way they did yesterday they need to narrow the gap between face value and STH pricing the next time we're in the playoffs (next year).

edit... I was at the game and the unsold tickets were not given away to staff or True North associates, the seats were empty because I was refreshing the ticketmaster site and physically looking with my own eyes at the ones available on ticketmaster sitting empty. And they weren't empty because people were at the street party either, they only had 11,000 outside. Hope True North is taking notes and having a high level discussion on this one because it could snowball into a PR nightmare.

This is a good post. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Reactions: robertocarlos

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Tickets for Game #5 on Seat Exchange... CLICK

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
It a two sided issue...

1- The Jets have never been in this situation before, so it will take some time to figure out what the market will pay. The one problem that TNSE will be facing IMO is that this is "really successful" playoffs #1 and everyone wants to get in on it. Now let's just say the Jets make the playoffs for the next 6 seasons and are again successful in them... they will quickly find out that this year's markup for the general public is not going to fly every year. Over pricing something will be seen a gouging.

2 -On the other hand... there are not that many benefits to being a STH, so having a wide gap in playoff prices is kind on required or the STH will see no reason to be a STH. And I think all the STHs that gave up their playoff tickets this year before the playoffs will be keeping them, if only to sell them, the next time around.

The 'steep discount' for Season Seat Holders is largely artificial. Hell, they can make the walk-up prices $10,000 per seat and claim that STH get a 95% discount on playoff tickets. If every seat was priced at $600, there would be less than 2500 in the building. IT'S THE FACT THEY HAVE 13,000 SEASON SEAT HOLDERS THAT ALLOW THEM TO GOUGE on the remaining inventory. And even with the very limited number of seats available, they've managed to over-price the market.

And, as a ticket holder who pays nearly $300 per playoff ticket for round 3, I think it's somewhat patronizing that this is being spun like a "good deal". We're somehow the "lucky ones" that "only" have to pay $300 per game.

Truth is, $300 per ticket is more than the Grey Cup. More than the Rolling Stones. It's alot of money at Season Ticket prices is my point!

I'm a capitalist. I understand supply and demand. But, at some point, you also have to be mindful of your fans. These are the same people that have filled the building for 7+ years. The same people that came to games in -30C January weather on Tuesday nights. And now, you'd rather see empty seats in your own barn than allow a fan to pay less than $682 for the "privilege" of watching playoff hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad